Lowering & struts/shocks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #1

Region: Utah
Lowering & struts/shocks

I'm sure this has come up before though I didn't see anything in my quick search of the forums...

I'm about to lower my 2011 coupe 1.5 inches with SR springs (and panhard bar). My car has 28K miles on it and the stock struts seem solid. I realize I'm probably in for an upgrade soon but wondered how much of a risk I am of blowing these out, given my mileage. Thoughts?
3.7L Race Red coupe, manual, Borla S-Type exhaust, Airaid CAI, BAMA 91 race tune, Boss 302 Strut Tower, 18x9 Charcoal GT500 wheels, 35% tint, blacked out trim, Eibach Pro-Kit and other suspension upgrades.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Replace shocks and springs together.

That being said, you are probably ok for now.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You will be just fine but the will be some "popping" and "squeaking" sounds coming from the front struts and they will wear out faster but they will be just fine for a few years and it's not a very complicated process to change them out just time consuming. Think about getting some sportlines also, I find that even with the roads in South Georgia I rarely have any trouble even with my front spoiler. Here are a few picks of the drop...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-733250914.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	122651

Name:	image-1962288553.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	122652
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I've got 51K on my stock struts. They are fine. When a strut fails, it will weep oil; this is visible by it being seen on its sides. It will then be time to change.

Save your coin until they are ready. Until then, leave them in place.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
I was looking at the SR and Ford Racing lowering springs as well, but read this on the fitment section at American Muscle:

"They will also fit 2011 and newer GT & V6 Coupes when used in combination with Ford Racing M-18183-C upper strut mounts and M-18000-A dampers (sold separately)."

So, do you have to get different mounts as well?

The Eibach, HR and Steeda lowering springs don't require new mounts according to AM's fitment section for these springs. Just doing some research on the subject.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #6

Region: Utah
Mustangdawg - thanks! You're absolutely right about the figment issues on the newer models. I'll probably go with Eibachs.
3.7L Race Red coupe, manual, Borla S-Type exhaust, Airaid CAI, BAMA 91 race tune, Boss 302 Strut Tower, 18x9 Charcoal GT500 wheels, 35% tint, blacked out trim, Eibach Pro-Kit and other suspension upgrades.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Mustangdawg - thanks! You're absolutely right about the figment issues on the newer models. I'll probably go with Eibachs.
Yeah, I agree. The SRs are $150 and the mounts are $110 for a total of $260. I don't know how much the dampers are for a pair. The Eibachs and HRs are about $250, which looks like the better deal. Still can't go wrong with AM. It really helps to read all the fitment details when it comes to all the after market stuff.

Also, you can get a 10% rebate on the Eibachs on AM and if you PM one of the AM reps, they might give you an additional 6% discount code. That would make for a very nice deal.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Stack Racing springs

I installed the SR springs "rear only", I will wait till struts wear to install the fronts. Lowering really helps correct the roll center from the factory stance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tn_DSCN0089.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	122853  
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
I installed the SR springs "rear only", I will wait till struts wear to install the fronts. Lowering really helps correct the roll center from the factory stance.
Just as a point of reference I have a 2000 gt and the struts haven't worn out yet
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang