Worried About the 3.7's Becoming Antiques - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Worried About the 3.7's Becoming Antiques

I'm personally concerned about how the 11-14 V6's are going to hold their ground with the upcoming 2015 base model and current competitors... Huge advancements are being made and I feel like the 3.7 might have been in the beginning of it.

My concerns are retaining to the 0-60 performance, 1/4mile, and track drive-ability, new MPG's, and new engine technologies. Are these 3.7s going to be history? Or do you think they'll be able to hold their ground with the 15 base Mustang and competitors? Any and all thoughts!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
$10 says the 2015 will have the current power train.

It takes lots of time to drastically change or develop a new engine. 2016 might have some good improvements.

I'm thinking the 2015 will have a completely new body, nice little improvements inside, better base equipment, and IRS.

Everyone is expecting too much IMHO
Old 08-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
I'm personally concerned about how the 11-14 V6's are going to hold their ground with the upcoming 2015 base model and current competitors... Huge advancements are being made and I feel like the 3.7 might have been in the beginning of it.

My concerns are retaining to the 0-60 performance, 1/4mile, and track drive-ability, new MPG's, and new engine technologies. Are these 3.7s going to be history? Or do you think they'll be able to hold their ground with the 15 base Mustang and competitors? Any and all thoughts!
I love my 14' and I am sure the 15' will be awesome too, however I also realize that the day I bought my car I was under the realization that Ford is a great car company and will continue to out do themselves year after year. Hope this helps.
SigStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post

It takes lots of time to drastically change or develop a new engine. 2016 might have some good improvements.

I'm thinking the 2015 will have a completely new body, nice little improvements inside, better base equipment, and IRS.

+1

The 3.7 is already an incredible engine. Can't be improved tooo much, and definitely not this fast.
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch View Post

+1

The 3.7 is already an incredible engine. Can't be improved tooo much, and definitely not this fast.
How do you think 10 v6 owners feel. Lol. Eventually the V6 model will have 350 or 375 HP. Its just progress. When that happens. Just sell your current V6 and get the new V6. As long as Chevy keeps increasing its power in the Camaro, Ford will do the same.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
How do you think 10 v6 owners feel. Lol. Eventually the V6 model will have 350 or 375 HP. Its just progress. When that happens. Just sell your current V6 and get the new V6. As long as Chevy keeps increasing its power in the Camaro, Ford will do the same.
I would feel pretty bad driving around a 2010 V6 lol.
But there's only so much you can do with a 3.7 V6.. They'll probably bump up the power a little, but that fuel economy isn't gonna go up much, and Ford isn't gonna go too crazy for 2015 IMO.
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post

I agree completely!!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I really don't care what they do __BECAUSE""

I'm gonna keep my 2012 3.7 for at least six years Probably more. There is absolutely nothing I do not like about my Mustang. It looks good, Drives good, gets great MPG, is comfortable, Has great features, and best of all It actually looks like a Mustang should look.

The last picture rendition I seen of the 2015 was awful. It looked like anything that comes out of Korea and not a Mustang at all.

I have had my Mustang for over a year and I still go out in the Garage and just plain look at it. I get up at least every other week at 4:am and go for a traffic free drive to no-ware. It is just plain fun to drive and if I still love her this much after six years I'll keep her forever.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Right on ronnie948. These cars look great and a just plain fun to drive. To me my 2013 found the right balance of retro and new.
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm gonna keep my 2012 3.7 for at least six years Probably more. There is absolutely nothing I do not like about my Mustang. It looks good, Drives good, gets great MPG, is comfortable, Has great features, and best of all It actually looks like a Mustang should look.

The last picture rendition I seen of the 2015 was awful. It looked like anything that comes out of Korea and not a Mustang at all.

I have had my Mustang for over a year and I still go out in the Garage and just plain look at it. I get up at least every other week at 4:am and go for a traffic free drive to no-ware. It is just plain fun to drive and if I still love her this much after six years I'll keep her forever.

Ronnie
+1 Same with my 2014.
Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
The 3.7L will be an upgrade with the V8.

Just read this in the latest issue of Car and Driver:

"Mustang: An all-new 2015 model should arrive next spring with a 270-hp, 2.3-liter turbo four as the base engine, and a 3.7-liter V-6 and a 5.0-liter V-8 as upgrades."

I think the 3.7l v6 will be around for a while as it's dependable and has the best bang for the buck, and you can mod the hell out of it and wring even more hp out of it. We'll just have to wait a bit and see what the real test drive numbers are on the 4 cyl. turbo when it's compared to the v6 in the same new car. I would expect the v6 to out perform the 4 cyl. turbo as the v6 is one of 2 upgrade options. I would be pissed if I payed extra to upgrade to a v6 and have a 4 cyl. turbo out perform it in the same car. I don't think Ford would go there, just sayin'
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
The turbo-4 likely helps Ford comply with the stricter fuel economy requirements. If I read it correctly, the fleetwide requirements go up by 2016. Offering the smaller engine and its improved MPG's gives them a higher rated vehicle to drive that average up.

I am sure plenty of people will like a 39-40mpg pony car that's zippy, but not flat out fast.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have the 1.6 turbo in a 2013. Escape. For a four cylinder engine it is quite impressive. It will cruise at 70 mph thru the mountains all day, easily. I would suspect the larger 4 cylinder turbo they plan for the Mustang will work well for just cruising. Of course there is no substitute for a V8 for those looking for High performance
Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I was pretty sure I heard the new v6 was going to use the Eco-boost tech. That and it was going to boast close to 400hp.
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ford has s a 3.5 l v6 ecoboost engine rated at just over 400 hp. They use it in their trucks and I believe in the Lincoln too. I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt it to the Mustang.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Ford has s a 3.5 l v6 ecoboost engine rated at just over 400 hp. They use it in their trucks and I believe in the Lincoln too. I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt it to the Mustang.
They also use the 5.0 engine in the truck lineup and the 3.5ecoboost is a option that is diversity thousand more than the 5.0 engine. And with a tune, the 3.5 would beat a 5.0 or hang there right with it.

So I don't think it will be a base engine at all. If anything, it'll be an option above the 5.0 . And it's rated at 365HP.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You are right. Wiki says 415 hp, Ford says 365 hp. I'd believe Ford.

Anyway, Ford has lots of options when & if they change the base engine.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post

In that case, better sell that LEMON your driving around and go bye a Big Wheel. Great gas mileage, might lose a little on resale but that's just life. CARS are not Investment items. They lose money when you drive it out the door of the dealership. There may be some advancements but sometimes this doesn't always make it down the base models, due to the cost factors involved. If the cost of the Shelby GT500 or Supersnakes were around the cost of a base V6, EVERYONE would be driving them.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Just read this in the latest issue of Car and Driver:

"Mustang: An all-new 2015 model should arrive next spring with a 270-hp, 2.3-liter turbo four as the base engine, and a 3.7-liter V-6 and a 5.0-liter V-8 as upgrades."
I read somewhere that they were going to make a turbo 4 Mustang for Europe and Austrialia as the Mustang is set to become a global car and Ford will need a Mustang that gets 40 mpg to be able to sell profitably in those markets.

That said, if this upcoming 2.3L turbo does make 270 hp then why would the next engine upgrade only make 35 more hp (305hp for current 3.7) and likely the same amount of torque? That to me, doesn't make a lot of sense. What does make sense is Ford adding direct injection and/or possibly punching out the 3.7 to a 4.0 or something at least by 2016.

If Ford added DI to the 3.7 and 5.0, I would expect around a 10% gain in horsepower and torque. As this seems to be the average of what the car companies are gaining by adding DI and typically bumping up the compression.

That could put the V6 around 335 hp and the 5.0 V8 around 460 hp.

What makes this interesting is interesting is the timing. GM has the new 460 hp LT-1 debuting in the new C7 Corvette and that will make it's way into the next Camaro (likely 2016) but could possibly make it's way into the current 5th gen Camaro. Simply adding DI and a bump in compression should be much cheaper overall than heavily revising the current 5.0 to compete with the next Camaro and it's likely 450+ hp.

In late 2014/15 the new Cadillac ATS debuts, what does this have to do with a Mustang? Well, the Cadillac ATS is the first outing for the platform that that 6th gen Camaro rides on. It will have the GM 3.6 V6 with revisions bringing it's output to a likely 340 hp. So a DI version of the 3.7 V6 for Ford would counter this perfectly.

Also, any changes in these engines will trickle down to the truck line as well. With GM now claiming the most fuel efficient full size truck line with it's new GMT platform, a DI bump would really help cement Ford's #1 sales ranking with the F150 by giving them the most fuel efficient and powerful light-duty truck line, assuming they have an answer for GM's new 6.2L 420 hp / 450 lb-ft L86. Ford could Coyotify the current 6.2 Boss (Raptor) engine to counter Gm's L86.

This is mostly speculation, but to me, it seems to be the most logical thing to do. Also, as a Ford investor, it needs to happen.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
They are using the eco boost that is in the focus st, the 3.7, and the 5.0 for 15. In 16 they are going to make a 5.4 or something that is supposedly supposed to make like 460 all motor or something. That's just what I read
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
They are using the eco boost that is in the focus st, the 3.7, and the 5.0 for 15. In 16 they are going to make a 5.4 or something that is supposedly supposed to make like 460 all motor or something. That's just what I read
I don't think they will use the 2.0 eco. The mustang is too heavy for that motor.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I read it wrong I know its not the 3.5 though
Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe I read it wrong I know its not the 3.5 though
3.7 making 400 HP. Oh sweet! Love the sixer
Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I hope so, those motors are pretty built stock though Idk what else they could do besides boosting it to get 400.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hope so, those motors are pretty built stock though Idk what else they could do besides boosting it to get 400.
Ford should just use the v6 eco boost engine and call it a day.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

They won't because they are gonna want to sell it as an engine swap lol. Plus they don't get that good of gas mileage anyways lol
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They won't because they are gonna want to sell it as an engine swap lol. Plus they don't get that good of gas mileage anyways lol
Well fine, just give a V8 350 hp and V8 with 450 hp. That way its all V8. Lmao.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

That's no fun I think they should get a 4 cylinder making 400 from the factory!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
That's no fun I think they should get a 4 cylinder making 400 from the factory!
They better, because if not, the MPG will suck with our heavy cars.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

They aren't that heavy, the 3.7 gets better mileage than the eco boost 6. They won't get rid of the 3.7 I honestly think its about to get crazy!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
They're not nimble compAred to other European sports coupes though. Haha.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

You'd be surprised
Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #33
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
The 5.4 is already here; it's been the Shelby motor for a few years. They even have a 1000 HP version of it, and it can be yours for right at $200,000.00
Old 08-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

The 5.4 is already here; it's been the Shelby motor for a few years. They even have a 1000 HP version of it, and it can be yours for right at $200,000.00
Yeah, what's 200k. Lol. I think one could by a 5.0 and build the engine up with forged internals enough to withstand 1000hp for a lot cheaper than 200k. Lol. Granted it wouldn't be a Shelby Super Snake but for 200k they can keep there name. Show me the power and they can have the name.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe it wasn't a 5.4 I can't remember either way I thought it was ridiculous that they were gonna make it all motor and have that much HP. Also keeping it under 60k

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang