Most power gain from a CAI? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Most power gain from a CAI?

Which CAI will get me the most power gain with the right tune? I was thinking about getting the Air Raid intake, but my local performance shop said that they get the best results out of a JLT. I already have a throttle body so it has to fit with that on.
Limes3578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
It seems like most V6 owners stick with the Airaid or JLT. I run an Airaid and I love it. I considered the Roush too, but the price is a bit higher. The Roush might not cause you potential warranty work issues too, but that might depend on the dealer.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

But to answer your question, I doubt there will be much difference between brands.
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
The consensus seems to be that any CAI that requires a tune will give you the most gains.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
A Steeda is supposed to work great

The Steeda does need to be tuned.

I have the Airaid and I don't know if I get more power but I did notice way better throttle response after installing it. ALSO, It sounds great when I put my foot down.
My car is only for street driving and not racing so the Airaid works perfect and looks good for my use.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch
It seems like most V6 owners stick with the Airaid or JLT. I run an Airaid and I love it. I considered the Roush too, but the price is a bit higher. The Roush might not cause you potential warranty work issues too, but that might depend on the dealer.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

But to answer your question, I doubt there will be much difference between brands.
The Roush CAI for the 3.7 is actually an airaid intake, just Roush badged. If you look at pictures of the two, they are completely identical.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The ONLY intake u will get the most out of is one with a larger diameter tubing which is the Steeda Intake. Thats why its a tune REQUIRED intake do if u want the most gains well that's the one u want.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Has anyone compared a CIA to just a drop in K&N air filter? If the intake diameter isn't increased, as it appears only one does, maybe the K&N drop in will be just as good for less cost.
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Has anyone compared a CIA to just a drop in K&N air filter? If the intake diameter isn't increased, as it appears only one does, maybe the K&N drop in will be just as good for less cost.
I don't know how.......but some dyno's show a 1 to 2 horsepower loss with the K&N drop in filters
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I had one

I actually thought the K&N drop in was going to be just as good as the Airaid that I eventually bought. "WRONG" I just bought the Airaid for the eye candy under the hood look. The K&N was in my car for a while so I can really make a comparison. Car ran fine with it but after I installed the Airaid I noticed a great improvement in the throttle response. It was hard for me to admit because I have always used K&N drop in filters in my cars. I don't know if I have increased the horsepower or torque but the better throttle response make it feel like it did. K&N also makes a CAI but I just liked the looks and quality of the Airaid.

My 3.7 is as fast as I need it to be and gets up and goes when I want it to. The Automatic shifts good and my Magnaflows are music to mine and everybody's ears. I could not be more happy with my Mustang then I am.

Ronnie
Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Was there any gains using the K&N other than mot having to buy new filters?
Skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The Steeda is the only one that has a larger diameter and offers the biggest gains. I have a used one for sell also, but that's not the reason I am recommending. It was a great mod coupled with the Bama tunes. PM me if you are interested in the one I have for sale.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not enough to make a difference

Ford did a great job with the air cleaner to begin with. When I did get the K&N and pulled out the Ford factory filter I was a little disappointed. The For filter was much thicker which equates to a lot more surface area. The K&N was really skinny and the only advantage is it will produce more air sound then the stock one. Other then that I wish I would have just gotten the Airaid in the first place.

Ronnie
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

The Roush CAI for the 3.7 is actually an airaid intake, just Roush badged. If you look at pictures of the two, they are completely identical.
Ah. They did look suspiciously similar!
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang