Gear break in question. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
even in a 2013?
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Yea I did 3 in my 2013
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Yea I did 3 in my 2013
What oil you used? 75w 90?
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Yea I did 3 in my 2013
What oil you used? 75w 90?
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #40
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
I picked up my mustang in 2011, drove it up to its current 51K miles on its odometer, and NEVER did any cycling with it. Drained the rear end fluid at 35K with RP (75/90; but I ocasionally track the car).

Never had any problems with the rear gears. Never heard of having to cycle them. If it was required, it would be in the owners manual as a requirement from the factory.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I picked up my mustang in 2011, drove it up to its current 51K miles on its odometer, and NEVER did any cycling with it. Drained the rear end fluid at 35K with RP (75/90; but I ocasionally track the car).

Never had any problems with the rear gears. Never heard of having to cycle them. If it was required, it would be in the owners manual as a requirement from the factory.
I was going to get mobile one gear oil
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I picked up my mustang in 2011, drove it up to its current 51K miles on its odometer, and NEVER did any cycling with it. Drained the rear end fluid at 35K with RP (75/90; but I ocasionally track the car).

Never had any problems with the rear gears. Never heard of having to cycle them. If it was required, it would be in the owners manual as a requirement from the factory.
Not only have I read it from members on this forum but the two places that I've got quotes from, 1 my local ford and 2 a place that only works and mods mustangs called mustang direct say to insure no gear whine and long gear life to do a heat cycle. You gotta think Your somewhat rebuilding the diff, if you get your motor rebuilt I bet the first thing your mechanic will say is don't beat the hell out of it right away, same principal. Why take the chance.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
The gear oil I got

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130817_210929.png
Views:	84
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	124392
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #44
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
When installing a new gear set,

When the factory installs the gears in the brand new car the gear set they use is exact tolerance and tested for any noise, vibration or defects on the final line.

When you take that gear set out and replace it with any other, The gears need to be fitted properly and may need shims to get all of the tolerances correct. It is not so much doing a heat/cool cycle as it is to let the gears lap in (SET) Even with a new car they tell you not to run a steady speed but to vary the speed for at least a hundred miles or more to allow the transmission gears and rear end gears along with a few other things to seat (Break in).

It's not like it costs you a bunch of $$$ to do it properly. BUT it may save you from having to redo the gear set because of noise and clunking.

Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When the factory installs the gears in the brand new car the gear set they use is exact tolerance and tested for any noise, vibration or defects on the final line.

When you take that gear set out and replace it with any other, The gears need to be fitted properly and may need shims to get all of the tolerances correct. It is not so much doing a heat/cool cycle as it is to let the gears lap in (SET) Even with a new car they tell you not to run a steady speed but to vary the speed for at least a hundred miles or more to allow the transmission gears and rear end gears along with a few other things to seat (Break in).

It's not like it costs you a bunch of $$$ to do it properly. BUT it may save you from having to redo the gear set because of noise and clunking.

Ronnie
+1, well said Ronnie. It doesn't cost anything and may save you in the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
I'm at the shop now and I asked the guy about a breaking in period he said you don't have to because ford racing gear already come broken in to
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I played it safe and did the 6 heat cycles an 200 easy miles but thats just me
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I played it safe and did the 6 heat cycles an 200 easy miles but thats just me
He told me if I want to be safe to do two heat cycle but I'm still not yet not to understand how to do one
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
I'm at the shop now and I asked the guy about a breaking in period he said you don't have to because ford racing gear already come broken in to
The installation materials reference a break in if I recall. Do at least that. At least.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

He told me if I want to be safe to do two heat cycle but I'm still not yet not to understand how to do one
Drive easy for a half hour. Let it cool off completely
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
arturo55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post

The installation materials reference a break in if I recall. Do at least that. At least.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------



Drive easy for a half hour. Let it cool off completely
It was a 30 min drive back home lol I stay at 60 the whole time lol
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Albuquerque
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

It was a 30 min drive back home lol I stay at 60 the whole time lol
Great!
Let it cool completely and go for another drive.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:26 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.