Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Bama Tune question

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  bucko 
#1 ·
Okay I should be receiving my Bama tune this week but the question I have is I've been using 87 for gas but now I'm tuneing it for 93, so I just put 93 in it or do I have to do something else before I put the 93 in

#21 ·
Wait till your like 25 miles empty then fill up with 93 and load 93 tune in. That's it. :)
^ This is correct. Just wait until your gas light is on, ride it down a bit so that majority of the 87 is out of the tank and then fill up with 93 Octane and load your tune.

It's perfectly save to run on the 93 Race tune all the time, I've never used a different tune on my car in 4 years. It is much more aggressive than the street tune, but still is safe for the motor/trans etc..

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan

#22 ·
^ This is correct. Just wait until your gas light is on, ride it down a bit so that majority of the 87 is out of the tank and then fill up with 93 Octane and load your tune.

It's perfectly save to run on the 93 Race tune all the time, I've never used a different tune on my car in 4 years. It is much more aggressive than the street tune, but still is safe for the motor/trans etc..

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future.

-Dan
Dan,

I've loved the race tune as well and don't intend to change it anytime soon. Any idea why the BAMA folks suggest not leaving it on for a DD, despite it being aggressive?

#28 ·
It means that the tuner can be locked/unlocked from up to 5 vehivles (different VIN's) before it has to be reset by the manufacturer (usually costs about $150.00 to do this).

Everytime a tuner is connected to the vehicle and a tune applied, the tuner is "locked" to that vehicle. If the tuner is used to restore the stock tune to that vehicle, it is now "unlocked". If you apply another tune to the same vehicle, it is "locked" to that vehicle again, but since it's the same vehicle (known by the VIN in the ECU), it's still only one "lock".

So, a tuner can be used on up to 5 vehicles (different VIN's), but only one at a time. If you want to use the tuner on another vehicle, it has to be "unlocked" from the first vehicle, then it can be "locked" onto another. This example would allow the tuner to be used on 3 more vehicles.

If you buy a used tuner, make sure it is first "unlocked" (also refered to as "unmarried"), and still has lock/unlocks still available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.