Gear Question For Convertible Owners - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Gear Question For Convertible Owners

Waiting to hear back from accessories guy at my ford dealership for the max upgrade of gears I can go without voiding my warranty. He knows I can go to 3.31 but I want to go to 3.73. So my question is, what is everyone else running on there v6 convertibles? I keep reading coupe only on anything above 3.31. So I was just wandering what other vert drivers were running.
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockesh
Waiting to hear back from accessories guy at my ford dealership for the max upgrade of gears I can go without voiding my warranty. He knows I can go to 3.31 but I want to go to 3.73. So my question is, what is everyone else running on there v6 convertibles? I keep reading coupe only on anything above 3.31. So I was just wandering what other vert drivers were running.
What's the difference between gears on a coupe and a vert? They are both going to be the same on both cars.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Agreed ^
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

What's the difference between gears on a coupe and a vert? They are both going to be the same on both cars.
I thought the same thing but if you look at the 2014 brochure it clearly states coupe only for performance package.
Shockesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockesh

I thought the same thing but if you look at the 2014 brochure it clearly states coupe only for performance package.
Oh your asking what the lowest gear ratio you can go without voiding warranty? If so, you're right, 3.31 is the lowest you can without voiding warranty.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
As far as warranty - you realize that once you crack open the rear end and replace the gears that Ford won't warranty the rear end. The warranty is for the car that Ford built. They can't warranty the rear end that you have built afterwards, even if it is done at the dealership. That rear end is not the one they built and warranty.

As far as the rest of your warranty - unless the gears cause the failure it doesn't matter what gear ratio you go with. Even if you go with the 3.31, if that gear causes a failure then it is not going to be covered because it isn't what Ford built and guaranteed.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
It's my understanding if you get the dealer to do it and they provide the parts they'll give you a 12k mile/12 month warranty on parts and labor for the gear install.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockesh View Post

I'm pretty sure a Vert is looked at more as a cruiser, so that's why it might not come stock with a PP. Other than that, there shouldn't be any reason why 3.73 can't be done on your Vert
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang