Oil Change interval: V6, all highway - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Oil Change interval: V6, all highway

Hey guys, I have a 2014 V6 with almost 9K miles on it. 90% of my driving is on the highway, a steady 70mph or so. I was wondering if that should affect my oil change intervals at all? Does city driving wear it down more quickly?
I don't mind changing the oil, and it's due in a few hundred miles, but I was wondering if I have any leeway or extra time if my driving is so tame.
kutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Region: Texas
how often do you change it as of now, & what oil is used?
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Regular oil, changed at the dealer at 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I change mine every 6,000. I used to go by the percentage. But that stopped working:/
Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Lord NoMoney
Staff

I would think 4-6k anywhere in there. I use RP oil & go about 10k
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
CPU will tell you when to change it

You still need to check the oil to be sure it is not low between changes. You are wasting $$$$ if you think you need to change it every 4,000 or 5,000 miles. It can go at least 10,000 or more when just mostly highway miles. Around town, Dirt roads, Flooring it at every stoplight is what you are not doing. If you were you could still safely go 5 to 7 thousand miles between changes.

The CPU will tell you when it needs to be done and just drop in to your Ford dealer and get it changed. My dealer charges $29.95 for Semi-Synthetic or $59,95 for full Synthetic including a filter.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
I would think 4-6k anywhere in there. I use RP oil & go about 10k
I alway do mine around 5k miles... whether or not the manual says less or more and have never had problems with any of my vehicles over the past 10 years

and I disagree with the opinion of "wasting" money. nothing wrong with taking care of your car. it won't hurt to change it earlier than the computer in your car tells you. plus the CPU in your vehicle doesn't change with different types of oil. it just runs the percentage per mile algorithm it's programmed with.
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post
I alway do mine around 5k miles... whether or not the manual says less or more and have never had problems with any of my vehicles over the past 10 years
^+1
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
What Bucko always says and he could not be anymore right is to read you maintenance guide in your owners manual. After that, it's all up to what you fill most comfortable doing.

Me personally, I would base my oil change intervals on what the majority of my driving is. Either way there is oil flowing through you engine for that amount of mileage and there is wear on the fluid regardless.

I do believe on the recommendation is for every 7,500 to 10,000 miles through Ford and that is not even running full synthetic. So again it just comes down to what you are most comfortable with.

Overall, take Bucko's advice and read your maintenance guide in your owners manuals. It will help you know you car a lot better. Plus you will realize a lot of those silly recommendations that oil change places make are for to make money, not a need for your Mustang
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Kutch is talking 90% Highway miles

Using Motorcraft (FORD) Semi-synthetic he will be fine at 10,000 miles between changes. For $30.00 more he could use full synthetic but I wouldn't see the point in it at 90% highway miles.

I like doing it myself but find it better to just go to my dealer and get it done. My last oil change at the dealer the guy went down a checklist and while the car was on the lift checked everything Ford said needed to be looked at. He checked the cabin filter, Looked at my Airaid filter and looked for any leaks. Inspected all four tires for anything wrong as well as filled the nitrogen. My car needed nothing and was still in new condition. I only had 3,500 on it at that time. (FIRST OIL CHANGE) My next one will be at 10,000 and then after that I'll let the CPU tell me when It needs to be done.

You can look at the oil on your dip-stick when checking the oil how it looks. If it looks to crappy and dark you can alway change it sooner. At 5.900 my oil still is clear and new looking.( of course it is only 2,400 miles on it) And still full to the mark.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:

and I disagree with the opinion of "wasting" money. nothing wrong with taking care of your car. it won't hurt to change it earlier than the computer in your car tells you. plus the CPU in your vehicle doesn't change with different types of oil. it just runs the percentage per mile algorithm it's programmed with.
I haven't had any trouble with my current schedule oil changes, as long as I have no problems im gonna continue!!
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You still need to check the oil to be sure it is not low between changes. You are wasting $$$$ if you think you need to change it every 4,000 or 5,000 miles. It can go at least 10,000 or more when just mostly highway miles. Around town, Dirt roads, Flooring it at every stoplight is what you are not doing. If you were you could still safely go 5 to 7 thousand miles between changes.

The CPU will tell you when it needs to be done and just drop in to your Ford dealer and get it changed. My dealer charges $29.95 for Semi-Synthetic or $59,95 for full Synthetic including a filter.

Ronnie
So does the CPU calculate the percentage strictly by miles?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So my oil percent thing is saying 100% but I have 4000 on it. Last it was 8000 and still 100% yet it was black sludge.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch View Post

So does the CPU calculate the percentage strictly by miles?
yes based on the manufacturers recommendation the CPU tracks your mileage.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
So my oil percent thing is saying 100% but I have 4000 on it. Last it was 8000 and still 100% yet it was black sludge.
did u accidentally hit the reset when you checked it on your dash?
Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Yikes. I'm def going to track it myself.
And I think every 5K should be a good interval, even with the mild driving.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:

Yikes. I'm def going to track it myself.
And I think every 5K should be a good interval, even with the mild driving.
That's a good #
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 08-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Nope. I wished I did but its still not counting. Used to work. But not now:/

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote:

If it tracks mileage or actual wear I should be at the mileage part. I do all highway 5 days a week.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
This is an opinion question, I suggest reading the various ones and choosing what you believe the most. On my 5-6K year toy I do it by time every 9 months instead of the 1x year that the OLM tells me. This makes me do it 4x instead if 3x in three years. On yours I'm guessing it's a lot of miles in a short time I would do it either every 7K miles or 6 months or when the OLM gets down to 25-30% this will keep it clean (cheap insurance) w/o being crazy often.

+1 on the OLM messing up I THINK mine did once but idk (it was stuck on 48%) The OLM is supposed to track: Time, Mileage, and if you beat it or do short drives. For those who don't know it will count when mine is in storage for the CT winters....
Old 08-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Most of my driving is around town, 3-5 miles. I have just a little over 2800 miles. I bought it back in July of last year. So I don't drive any distance but the oil is in there time wise. I was one week short of having a year.

I change mine every 2500 miles. I don't drive her with any snow or ice on the ground.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Between 5 to 7,500 miles and you can't go wrong. I do mine around 7,500 and use Mobil 1 extended performance fully synthetic. I'm sure one could safely go 10 k miles but I'm not doing that. Lol. I also use Napa gold filters which hold up great .
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Between 5 to 7,500 miles and you can't go wrong. I do mine around 7,500 and use Mobil 1 extended performance fully synthetic. I'm sure one could safely go 10 k miles but I'm not doing that. Lol. I also use Napa gold filters which hold up great .
+1 on Mobil1 synthetic and Napa Gold!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Are the napa filters good? Every car I have owned in the last 15 years gets the OE filter. Doe the Napas have anti-drain back valves?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Are the napa filters good? Every car I have owned in the last 15 years gets the OE filter. Doe the Napas have anti-drain back valves?
Are napa filers good? Does a bear take a poo in the woods? Omg, heck yeah there awesome. Lol. Their wix filter. Wix makes the napa gold filters. Napa gold filter is a wix filter.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Are napa filers good? Does a bear take a poo in the woods? Omg, heck yeah there awesome. Lol. Their wix filter. Wix makes the napa gold filters. Napa gold filter is a wix filter.
If you know whether a bear poos in the woods, you need another hobby.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

If you know whether a bear poos in the woods, you need another hobby.
or maybe it's just one of MANY hobbies... lol and YES NAPA FILTERS ARE DA BOMB!

I use them religiously like a fat kid loves candy
Old 08-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I like OEM filters and because NAPA is not anywhere near me, I will stick to them. But will look for those NAPA's when I find the NAPA nearby.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmao, the 3.7 prefer synthetic? Or does it not make a big difference?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, I'm a person of many hobbies. Ba ha ha ha.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmao, the 3.7 prefer synthetic? Or does it not make a big difference?
I think it really depends on ones driving habits. Nothing wrong with conventional motor oil , however I as most likely many drive our mustangs harder than I would our Mazda MPV mini van. No, I'm not track racing but definitely am not coddling the engine by any means. Once my engine is warmed up , game is on. After all, we have a 300 plus HP sports like car that was breed to be driven fairly hard.

With that said, a true fully synthetic oil will protect the engine far better than conventional oils can and it won't break down under heavy driving conditions or heat. It will coat and lubricate the engine much better and provide longer engine life than conventional motor oils if one drives harder than normal conditions. Plus with fully synthetic oil one can go further on oil change intervals than compared to conventional motor oils. My biggest concern about going 10 to 12k miles between oil change intervals is not the oil breaking down but the oil filter lasting for that long. I hear Mobil 1 makes an extended oil filter but don't know how good it is.

I bought a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 extended performance fully synthetic for 27 bucks at Wal Mart.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Checked out RockAuto for pricing and then looked up the filters. (Wix57502 (Napa gold 7502) and FL500S)

A very negligible +$.15 difference for the Wix part. Reviews and specs show them as being nearly identical (8psi bypass on all of them, varied drain hole patterns, silicone valves...)

So it looks like either will perform as required by Ford. I was glad to learn this stuff...wanting the best for maintenance procedures and all.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #31
Lord NoMoney
Staff

do they offer a 57502xp? supposed to be synthetic specific or something like that? im to lazy to look lol
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Don't get me wrong Im sure the Motorcraft filter is fine however I'm a fan of the Napa Gold and Purolator filters. I have a Napa store near me and the filter is like 7.50. Great price for a great quality filter.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So better than the motor craft? I want to start using something better than what ford recommends. Something full synthetic like its supposed to have and a better filter.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I won't argue what you're a fan of. Run what you like.
Silver here's what they have:
Wix 57502XP is 7.43
Wix 57502 is 4.76
Motorcraft FL500s is 4.61

As far as I am concerned they're all the same performance wise. (excluding the 57502xp, I did not research it.)
A quick search shows that the 57502 is a paper element and 22psi. The 57502XP is a wirebacked, synthetic element and 8psi. So it looks like I was researching the base part (as described in the searches). I would not buy the base 57502 based on this information alone.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think it really depends on ones driving habits. Nothing wrong with conventional motor oil , however I as most likely many drive our mustangs harder than I would our Mazda MPV mini van. No, I'm not track racing but definitely am not coddling the engine by any means. Once my engine is warmed up , game is on. After all, we have a 300 plus HP sports like car that was breed to be driven fairly hard.

With that said, a true fully synthetic oil will protect the engine far better than conventional oils can and it won't break down under heavy driving conditions or heat. It will coat and lubricate the engine much better and provide longer engine life than conventional motor oils if one drives harder than normal conditions. Plus with fully synthetic oil one can go further on oil change intervals than compared to conventional motor oils. My biggest concern about going 10 to 12k miles between oil change intervals is not the oil breaking down but the oil filter lasting for that long. I hear Mobil 1 makes an extended oil filter but don't know how good it is.

I bought a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 extended performance fully synthetic for 27 bucks at Wal Mart.
Just checking, but you buy a 6th quart of that stuff right? Our engines take six due to the valve timing mechanisms.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

I know it's off beat but check your coolant guys. My reservoir was dry as a bone. I highway drive and back road it at nearly 90-100 on back roads 75-85 highway. The engine drank the coolant to stay under temp. So watch out y'all! Oh and my LCA is chattering, time to get some BMR polys!

Back to oil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang