Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ford Warranty - Collective CYA

3K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  bucko 
#1 ·
Posted on another forum. Will share here as well.

Spoke to a local dealer about the warranty and some of the things I would like to do to my vehicle. I was hoping to have them do as much of them as possible to avoid potential warranty issues.

I was warned that Ford is actively pursuing the cancellation warranty's ANYTIME they SUSPECT (not prove in many cases) that a modification has caused ANY problems with the power train. This is covered in their TSB Ford issues TSB warning against modifications and aftermarket parts for the 2011+ Mustang | Mustangs Daily

I explained the forums for research and heard what I had hoped I would not...

Escalations through forum representatives on publicly accessible websites CAN BE (may also be read as "HAVE BEEN") used to support cancellation of power train warranties.

What this means is that submitting your VIN information for a warranty claim through someone on these forums, what you've posted, and what they may determine to be "your fault" can be used to cancel your warranty.

Tunes are almost becoming automatic cancellations with some dealers. They don't want to be in the middle of a fight with an owner and Ford.

Oh well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wouldn't pursuing the cancellation of someone's warranty on suspicion alone go against the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act that states there must be solid proof that an aftermarket part caused the issue at hand?

#7 ·
No Invite to the Big Dance is Good....

And the Good News for a change, I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING FOR V6 MUSTANGS! For once, it pays to have a V6.

#8 ·
Not quite. The details were during the conversation about my V6.
Basically, mod it and they'll cancel your warranty if they think the can.
Post it on a forum and escalate it through the forum, forum posts can be used to substantiate a warranty cancellation.
They're using the forums as evidence. Against Mustang owners where they can.

That's dirty pool.

#9 ·
Sure Hope No Dealers are Looking at My Postings...

Gee Al, who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, who drives a Black 2013 V6, sure hope no one is READING THIS FORUM!

#19 · (Edited)
This would be hard to prove in court. ... Even if you can prove that I made a post, you can't prove I'm not totally full of **** and posting to be a dick or just to screw around. Just because I said "check out this sweet tri-turbo I just finished" doesn't mean I actually did.... Hell, my custom intake could be a factory intake with a sticker on it, maybe that's custom to me.

And let's not forget that the forum's taking a risk here by allowing Ford reps to get information like this. maybe not legally because these are public forums, but member wise.

Also, the TSB does not mention anything about forums being used to prove a case.

#20 ·
That's all true. But it can make it a pain in the butt when you go in and get told you're responsible for the bill.

Dealerships and owners have and always will go round and round about warranty claims.

The fact the manager even mentioned the internet as proof is a bit disconcerting.

#24 ·
Facebook is a ^$#@*&^% window into your whole life

I wouldn't worry about this or any other forum as much as I would "FaceBook" Things said on that have had people fired from their jobs, arrested, divorced, alienated by their friends and family's and ruined their lives.

Ronnie

#25 ·
I wouldn't worry about this or any other forum as much as I would "FaceBook" Things said on that have had people fired from their jobs, arrested, divorced, alienated by their friends and family's and ruined their lives.

Ronnie
Which is why I'm not a member on any of those types of sites.

And who has given up their VIN on this site, for Ford to see?

In any event, my warranty is long gone. I have nothing to worry about.

#26 · (Edited)
I would be more than happy to test Fords theory they can just void my factory warranty because I have a tune and CAI. If my power window motor stops working I would love to see them prove its the direct result of my tune.

When it comes to bolt on mods you will never come remotely close to the engines max HP and torque limits. In all my years of research I haven't found or read about a tune destroying an engine because it ran the engine lean. The only issue I have ever found about was from AM and the #8 piston which didnt destroy the engine and has been long corrected. That issue was back around the late 2010 year on the early 11 5.0's and AM figured out the issue and long fixed. When was the last time anyone here heard of Bama, Steeda, Lund, MPT, VMP destroyed an engine with their tune?

I could see engine issues with nitrous, high boost on turbo and superchargers but bolt on mods, 99% safe. I'll take my chances and F that factory warranty. The mustang is breed to be modded and I'm not waiting 5 years to do so till my factory 60k mile powertrain runs out. That's why I modded after 6 months with my bolt on's

#27 ·
Just for the record....My Mustang is 100% stock and my factory 18" all season tires wore out because of defects in only 19,000 miles :angel:

#34 ·
Bucko, You are a nut !!!! Ha! Ha ! Ha !

Hmmm. Not sure on this. If something happened to the rear view mirror, they might pin it on the air freshner hanging from it.
I'm still laughing at this one.

Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.