Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2014 giving me ****ty mileage (no luck so far)

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Strange Mud 
#1 ·
Hey there folks. This is my first mustang, got it like back in April and I'm absolutely in love with it. Just got an air raid CAI and man o man the rumble at higher rpms is unbelievable!
Okay so here is the real question: I have been getting ****ty mileage in the city - 16.5L/100 km. I guess its roughly 13mpg? I use 92 octane gas, have manual transmission with performance package (19'' tires ). I do about 80% hwy driving (drive at 60-65 mph and I guess around 27mpg) and the rest in city.

I shift under 3000rpms in city, so technically I shouldn't be getting such a bad mileage. I have read other threads where most of you guys are getting 20-23 city/32 hwy mpg. Any suggestions as to why I am at the receiving end? I spend like 250 bucks on gas every month :/

It be much appreciated :)

#2 ·
Hey there folks. This is my first mustang, got it like back in April and I'm absolutely in love with it. Just got an air raid CAI and man o man the rumble at higher rpms is unbelievable!
Okay so here is the real question: I have been getting ****ty mileage in the city - 16.5L/100 km. I guess its roughly 13mpg? I use 92 octane gas, have manual transmission with performance package (19'' tires ). I do about 80% hwy driving (drive at 60-65 mph and I guess around 27mpg) and the rest in city.

I shift under 3000rpms in city, so technically I shouldn't be getting such a bad mileage. I have read other threads where most of you guys are getting 20-23 city/32 hwy mpg. Any suggestions as to why I am at the receiving end? I spend like 250 bucks on gas every month :/

Hey man, congrats on your first mustang! I currently drive an 06 4.0 so I may be out of my league hopping in on this, but I'll give my two cents. When I first bought my v6 the gas mileage was alright and it was bone stock, always maintained though.

As you mentioned above you have a few mods done, but didn't mention if you have them tuned or not? Calibrating your aftermarket parts (in my 3 years experience of owning a mustang) have done me a lot of justice. Not only enhancing my performance, but also upping my gas mileage a bit. I was doing 16/17 city 17/23 hwy, now I'm averaging 20+ in the city and a little over 25 on the hwy, and I run 91 octane.

I could be wrong, but tubing my engine was the best investment yet. Good luck brother!

#3 ·
Hey thanks a lot man! I got CAI and BAMA tuner with 91 tunes last week, just haven't loaded them yet. I wanted to see how much performance gain am I going to get just with the cai, than both combined at once lol

I'm getting about 540kms per tank, out of which at least 500 are purely hwy..coasting at around 1800-2000 rpms. I'm just confused if 19" tires are making a difference?

Oh and then brakes. I don't find them too sensitive..got my brake pads replaced and rotors machined just after 7000 kms by dealership(they saw blueish tinge on rotors)..yet no luck. I just feel they are not sensitive enough for some reason

#4 ·
Hey thanks a lot man! I got CAI and BAMA tuner with 91 tunes last week, just haven't loaded them yet. I wanted to see how much performance gain am I going to get just with the cai, than both combined at once lol

I'm getting about 540kms per tank, out of which at least 500 are purely hwy..coasting at around 1800-2000 rpms. I'm just confused if 19" tires are making a difference?

Oh and then brakes. I don't find them too sensitive..got my brake pads replaced and rotors machined just after 7000 kms by dealership(they saw blueish tinge on rotors)..yet no luck. I just feel they are not sensitive enough for some reason
Anytime man! You're going to LOVE the tune. You will be able to tell, hear and feel the difference as soon as you start it up!

Well man, increasing the diameter of the wheel means your engine has to accelerate bigger "flywheels" every time you pull away from a stop sign or light. So yes, I personally feel the size in tires will make a noticeable difference in your gas mileage. I currently have 17's on my mustang and I love them. Bigger isn't always better, it's how you use them lol...

I'm not much of a brakes guy, but I've used the downshifting method to conserve my brakes and aid me in a easier brake when need to. I've only replaced my pads once, never have I done anything to my rotors.

#5 ·
Yeah totally I know what you mean. the performance package unfortunately comes with bigger tires. Im certainly going to get 17" for winters. Wish I had a beater instead of driving around my lovely pony in rain lol

The brakes ain't bad if I were to drive in town but they scare the **** out of me since I usually am on hwy driving at much faster speeds. The other day I was around 40mph and I had to stop on red light. Goddd I ended up half way in the intersection! Just wondering if anyone with performance package had same issues?

#6 ·
Yeah totally I know what you mean. the performance package unfortunately comes with bigger tires. Im certainly going to get 17" for winters. Wish I had a beater instead of driving around my lovely pony in rain lol

The brakes ain't bad if I were to drive in town but they scare the **** out of me since I usually am on hwy driving at much faster speeds. The other day I was around 40mph and I had to stop on red light. Goddd I ended up half way in the intersection! Just wondering if anyone with performance package had same issues?
Ah, figures lol. Well you can always sell the bigger tires! I know how ya feel though, I feel bad putting so many miles on my baby. But she's treated me swell so I can't argue.

Damn dude that's really scary! You need to take that sucker back into the shop or dealership, wherever you bought from. That sounds like a manufacturer-fault.

#7 · (Edited)

Lol. Welcome to my world! If I drive it normally I'll get decent mileage, if not my city milage sucks around 13l/100km or18-19 mpg. But I know what the problem is lol. Must be Canadian cars. But 16l/100km is Really bad! You should talk to your dealer and say hey wtf?

#9 ·
Haha thanks! I have been to the dealer and they give same bs excuse: thats what the mileage from a mustang is..big engine more weight yada yada yada..you gotta leave your car here for 2 days and we will check it out. Arses! I baby it around, with an occasional hi to speed limiter at 180kmph just to feel the power under the hood lol. Yet my city mileage is super crappy. Even 92 octane from shell ain't helping.

They replaced my front brake pads and machined the rotors. Same problem a month later. I guess 1000 kms are enough for a break in period right? Not a significant change in responsiveness. The mechanic at dealership who checked it last time asked me to come back sometime this week..he will see if he can hook me up with performance stuff. Fingers crossed.

PS: I guess canadian mustangs are also manufactured at flat rock in Michigan.. Same place as yours ;)

#10 ·
Since you don't have your tune it, why are you running 92 octane? Pretty sure your owner's manual states you should be using 87 octane. After you get the tune, you can run 91-93 octane.

You mention that 1000 kms is enough for a break in period. Then you say your brake pads and rotors were turned just after 7000 kms. That would be 4349miles. Sounds like your running the Piss out of your Stang. No wonder your mileage is in the Crapper.

#11 ·

Dude, nothing's wrong with your car. I have a 2014 v6 premium automatic and my city MPG is around the 14-15mpg range. Constant stop and go traffic will do that to you. Where I live, there are stop signs and traffic lights on every block.

#12 ·
For starters, Washington gas stations (Bellingham area) do not have 91 octane. 87, 89, and 92. So guys at BAMA sent me 91.

Secondly, I drive solely on the hwy. Which means I don't brake every 10 seconds or so. The sensitivity has been an issue since day 1. At first I thought may be its a new car. Nope. Took it to the dealership and the guy was like your rotors are glazed..prolly due to over heating. So he replaced brake pads with ford OEM ones, and machined the rotors = at 7000 kms. Im close to 8700 now and still the same problem. I certainly am not the one who red lines it 24x7

I have no knowledge about the hardware that is involved in braking performance but rotors and pads. So now if the pads have been replaced, could it be the rotors or something else? I'm not over criticizing it. I drive a couple different vehicles every day (from compact cars to large mini vans) at my work, and they are excellent in terms of their brake sensitivity. so its kinda weird for me since I think a mustang with more power and torque should be right up there if not arms and legs better.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Exactly! I live in Vancouver and the traffic over here is retarded. Stopping at red light every second block on an average. Not to mention fellow drivers in hurry tryna cut you off lol

#13 ·
Shift it at 2k rpms and you'll see better gas mileage, which should be easy to do if you have 3.31 rear end, which you should. My 2.73s handle it fine unless I'm climbing hills.

#14 ·
You have an intake and no tune, that is probably the biggest thing, and then shifting at 3k isn't helping.
I'm not sure what to make of your brake issues... no offense but are you one of those people that hits the brakes at the last possible second or do you downshift coming up to lights and baby the brakes?

My 10 v6 is one of the best stopping cars I've ever driven and I have "little" brakes compared to you...

#16 ·
I installed CAI just 2 days ago and mileage issue is a long one I guess. Going to put the tune in tomorrow since I have my morning off from work.

As for the brakes, idk if I'm doing the right thing or not but I downshift or go to neutral when I approach lights and then brake it gently. I don't have any issues while driving in the city cuz i don't really go beyond 35-40 mph anyway. Its the hwy speeds I'm more worried about. I had to stop last minute on a light the other day (from about 50mph) and it felt like as if the rotors were greased or if the brake pads had worn (pretty less sensitive in other words)

#17 ·
Maybe your brakes are dragging, then eveything overheats and when you go to brake your esentially have brake fade right off the bat, if you coast in neutral does your car slow down noticeably?. You could drive on the highway for a bit and try and find an off ramp that is long and up hill, if you can coast all the way to a stop(easier to do this at night with no traffic) and not use brakes then they should be cool but if you get out and touch them and they are hot your brakes are dragging

#18 ·
+1 on checking the brakes...that would be the 2nd bird with one stone (poor mpg & shot brakes) also not only are you dealing with heavier tireswith the perf pack but the summer only compound probablly will subtract 1 1/2-3 mpg. I'm not happy with my mpg but I don't drive much city (semi-rural 22-24mpg). I will suggest figuring out the mpg b4 tuning in case you need the dealer to look at it but others may disagree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.