Engine swap options? (2010 V6) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Engine swap options? (2010 V6)

I have seen a lot of threads on all the boards regarding engine swaps in V6 mustangs. The results are always poor. The poor schleb gets hammered for wanting to do it and is told to just sell the V6 and buy a GT...

For the sake of argument can we have an honest and civil discussion about the available engines and parts necessary to do this?

There are three engines I'm looking at. The one that I like the most is the 5.4L Triton from an F-150. Over 300hp and almost 400tq if I remember correctly. And I've found some lower mileage ones for less than 3K shipped.

Then there is a 4.6 3v motor from a 10 Gt.

Last is a Coyote, which would be badass but is the most expensive.

Will all of those fit in my car? I believe they will since they are all modular but I want to double check.

As far as engine fitment goes what is needed? Mounts, k member? From what vehicle?

transmission I'm assuming would be from a 2010+ GT? same with driveshaft and rearend.

PCM and wiring. This Im thinking may be the real PITA of this kind of endeavor. Due to the anti theft system do I need the PCM that goes with the engine or would any PCM do and just needs to be flashed?

Wiring in the engine... Would be going from coil pack to coil on each cylinder and whatever else is diff on the V8. Assuming the engine comes with it's own harness, how do I get it wired into the vehicle?

This is not a project I am going to embark on anytime soon, or half assed. I'd like to slowly amass the parts and then go at it full steam. I figure the easiest first is to swap out the 7.5 rearend for an 8.8, and have a driveshaft laying around. Then source the engine and transmission, do a little r and r on them in the garage.
Torch10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Personally if I was going to do a swap and had the cash I would try and fit a raptor 6.2 just for the sheer heck of it. But if you want more power for a 2010 I would look at the 4.6 3v so that you can reuse your stock tranny.
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
Personally if I was going to do a swap and had the cash I would try and fit a raptor 6.2 just for the sheer heck of it. But if you want more power for a 2010 I would look at the 4.6 3v so that you can reuse your stock tranny.
Yeah that would be a screamer with that raptor engine. I haven't priced them but they have to be expensive yeah?
I didn't realize the 4.6 used the same tranny, I like that idea. I liked the idea of the truck motor because of the tq it makes on 87 octane. Throw some GT heads on it, boss intake etc and BAM, moster engine(I think...)
BUT the 4.6 can make good power too.
Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I would think that the tranny is the same on the autos and manuals of the 10s
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Honest and civil discussion about this:

Sell the car and buy the V8. There's a reason for all the threads on this subject pointing to the obvious sell: it will cost you more to do a swap then to just buy a 5.0.

Unless you have a family member that owns a junkyard, or a totalled 5.0, the cost is just not worth it. The average person does not fall into such luck.

If you want to do it, then do it. Your money, your time. But its just not practical. With the 2015's around the corner, the market is expected to be large with 2011 to 2014's being sold and traded in for the new gen Mustangs. This adds to the arguement that it's not a wise decision to swap a V8 into a V6.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know man, seems I could get all the parts for less than 10k, and I can do the work myself. And in the end have something unique that I built myself.

I can get a tranny and engine for about 4k, rears are cheap, misc parts and pcm wiring, k member, drive shaft.

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 AM ----------

Bottom line is hard to find out what I need to find out because all the research I've done ends in dead ends
Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The big problem is probably this:::::

There isn't anybody on this 3.7 V6 forum that has done an engine swap If I were to do an engine swap I would go to an old school non-CPU engine from Ford Racing that would probably use a carb or old school fuel injection and forget about a computer altogether.

Just about any engine can fit in any car if you have the correct tools and a good machine shop handy.

We used to do all kinds of engine swaps in the good old day's of street rods but now with the computer controlled engines it is a royal PITA and just not a lot of fun to even try it on a home garage level.

I'm sure happy that Ford Racing and the GM and Mopor guy's still make old style non computer controlled engines for the true street rodders and Drag racers that still like to do stuff like engine swaps Etc.

If you really want to do an engine swap you need to just save up some big $$$$ and do it. You can sell or trade most of the stuff you take off to help with your costs. Thats what "SWAP MEETS" are really for.

All it takes is TIME--EFFERT --and --$$$$

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Why not get the 2011+ v6? They have a pretty good output of hp compared the the 2005-2010 if I'm not mistaken.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think the OP just wants to build his own way

I think Torch10 just wants to build a Mustang the way he wants it but just don't know how to get started. He knows he can just go buy a V8 or older Shelby but is looking for the fun of doing something that he can be proud of when finished. It is called Hot Rodding and there is nothing I liked better in my younger days when I was working and making money to waste. I hope he does it but I don't think it is going to be a possability for him if he has to ask what to do. When doing a project like engine swapping you really can't ask anybody and just have to do it your self with a few friends that can help you. A Mustang should be easy because you can remove the fenders and get easy access to the sub frame rails ETC. You just gotta step back and know what needs to be done to get started.

Like I said, He needs to have $$$$ to buy the tools and stuff as he finds he needs them as well as paying for Machine shop work as well as the engine and transmission he want to use.

Owning another car to run around in is essential and a place to do it is also very important.

The Ford Racing 2013 performance parts catalog is the first thing the OP should purchase $5.00 at Official Ford Racing Site | Ford NASCAR, NHRA, Grand-Am & Rally Series Racing

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've done plenty rebuilds that included removal and replacement, but never a late model engin swap.

I'm too old for that. I'll be happy to come by with a large bottle of sangria (I'm cheap too) and offer all kinds of finger pointing on what's gotta come out 1st, 2nd, etc. I'm usually good at that until the bottle becomes half empty (or half full). Then my finger pointing usually becomes useless as I walk towards the sun....
Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I've done plenty rebuilds that included removal and replacement, but never a late model engin swap.

I'm too old for that. I'll be happy to come by with a large bottle of sangria (I'm cheap too) and offer all kinds of finger pointing on what's gotta come out 1st, 2nd, etc. I'm usually good at that until the bottle becomes half empty (or half full). Then my finger pointing usually becomes useless as I walk towards the sun....
Lmao
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Lmao! Good 1 Bucko!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
As these guys have said, it would be a huge pain, take tons of time, and probably cost twice what you think it will. It usually goes like that for me anyway. All said and done, you're getting passed by a car that has all the bolt ons for much less than you have in yours and the car won't be worth near what you have in it.

In the old days of carburetors, you could do this and I've been down that road too. I even did an early 700r OD 4 spd auto swap onto a carbed 350 sbc back before it became popular.

I really am not trying to rain on your parade but it's always harder than you think it may be.

That said, I think you'd be better off ripping all but the lighting wiring out and trying to keep the heater controls somehow and using a standalone computer to run aftermarket everything parts including non stock transmission and fuel system. I'd probably try to find a totaled car that can be salvage titled for a starting point and a big garage to store it for a long time while you plan and build.

All this is moot if you have emissions testing or inspection/both.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I mean later in life, it'll be cheaper, but for now, best run the engine till it dies( hopefully 5-20 years)
Old 08-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
that raptor engine swap would be badass! How many people can say they did that(if you could). I say go for the swap. It is costly, but you'll never be happier. What satisfaction is there of buying a new car over swapping a bigger engine in there(assuming you have both time and money)? It's all up to you though. I would love to follow the build. Good luck either way!
Bschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm baaaaack...

Lol, anyway I wanted to address a few things. Maybe I put this in the wrong forum for one thing? I realize now that the vast majority of everyone here has a 3.7 and is not interested in swapping.
But people have been swapping these modular engines into anything and everything so...

I'm not a "newb" to cars or swaps. I am however totally new to Mustangs. I have done two swaps myself on my hondas. A 1.6L twin cam integra engine into my first gen CRX and a 2.2L prelude engine into my 97 Integra. Ran nitrous on both those cars. Cammed and put a header and full exhaust on the CRX, Integra was just the motor, intake and catback.

So I feel capable of doing the mechanical work. Thus I laid out the questions that I had. Everything in my mind is framed out in terms of my experience with Honda's cause that's what I know. Some engines came in cars that were only available over seas, but since they were available in that chassis somewhere in the word, no aftermarket motormounts were required.

So that frames my question for the Mustang: my chassis can come with a 5.0 and related tranny so therefore I know it will FIT, but are there diff. mounts that I would need?

When you change any EFI engine for any other one there are going to be wiring changes and PCM swaps in my experience.
Thus my mustang question: What kind of changes are necesary to swap a V8? Can the ecu just be flashed? Or is this part of the equation so difficult that this is what makes it not feasible? SOmeone mentioned ripping the whole wiring harness out of a donor car I think. That seems like a little far maybe?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The engine management unit would need to be swapped. The fuel pumps (in the tank) may need to be swapped, as you are delivering for two more cylinders. Motor mounts need to be changed. Transmissions are identical between the 6 and 8 cylinder (both automatic and manual).

Good luck. Post your results when it's all done. It will make a good write-up.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I "think" the fuel pump is the same part number for the v6 and NA v8.

The pcms are different and may even be physically different as the coyote's is the copperhead pcm and the other, I forget the name in mine. It's not used as a name often in the v6. I'm sure it would be easier to swap the pcm engine bay harness as weatherpacks will be in different locations of course. I'd just count on swapping that for a v8 harness of some configuration.

I wish I had more definite answers for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang