Same old sh... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Ur kind of blowing this way out of proportion .. Ford puts 2 piece driveshafts in pretty much all mustangs.. I had one in mine and replaced it.. Would it do well over 160? Yes.. It's a Shelby.. V-8 cars are built more on the performance end as to where the v-6 is the more "economical" car. Not downing ur v-6 just saying.
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrokid63 View Post
I agree with the HP thing. Just because it's a V6 doesn't mean we have to be at a disadvantage with speed and safety, but it's sure is better to be safe than sorry. It also doesn't mean that we have the need to break the sound barrier all the time. For me, it's about freeing up weight and performance with a lighter, safer driveshaft. Remember the Buick Grand National? This thing would blow away just about anything in its path. V6 anyone?
I imagine they were thinking of who was buying these v6 cars when they decided to design it as such. Should rental cars be able to go 120 mph with people behind the wheel who's dd is a Sentra or Camry? Are most younger people responsible enough to not go over 113 mph, with limited driving history and no real understanding of the consequences to their actions? Things have to be nerfed sometimes to protect the stupid, and in turn the general public
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post

You answered your own question. Ford builds the GT to safely travel at higher speeds. Well, more safely at least..Suspension and Trac control
Funny, Because Ford builds the V6 models to travel just as safe with the right driveshaft and tires. Just a 900 dollar piece of aluminium and your there with the GT's.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Funny, Because Ford builds the V6 models to travel just as safe with the right driveshaft and tires. Just a 900 dollar piece of aluminium and your there with the GT's.
So all of the suspension components between the v6 and gt are identical? If that accurate, I most certainly stand corrected. I've never looked into what a v6 suspension is made of, I just assumed there were differences
Old 08-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby09 View Post
Ur kind of blowing this way out of proportion .. Ford puts 2 piece driveshafts in pretty much all mustangs.. I had one in mine and replaced it.. Would it do well over 160? Yes.. It's a Shelby.. V-8 cars are built more on the performance end as to where the v-6 is the more "economical" car. Not downing ur v-6 just saying.
True , totally agree with you. The v6 from the factory is really dummied down to be the more economical car of the two. What's great about the V6 models and Fords design is that a few thousand in bolt on mods and the car transforms into a performance mini beast and way less being practical and economical. It doesn't take much to transform a car into a higher level of performance when its base line is 305 HP and 280 torque from the factory. Just a handful of bolt on mods and your up around 350 HP. That's not horrible by any means.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Quote:

So all of the suspension components between the v6 and gt are identical? If that accurate, I most certainly stand corrected. I've never looked into what a v6 suspension is made of, I just assumed there were differences
The performance pack on the v6 gives you the GT suspension. So yes, the V6 can have the same GT suspension.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I imagine they were thinking of who was buying these v6 cars when they decided to design it as such. Should rental cars be able to go 120 mph with people behind the wheel who's dd is a Sentra or Camry? Are most younger people responsible enough to not go over 113 mph, with limited driving history and no real understanding of the consequences to their actions? Things have to be nerfed sometimes to protect the stupid, and in turn the general public
See , that's where the mind set is. The stigma of the old rental car mustang. The issue is that Ford evolved the Mustang and its power. So did the buyers and the breed of people buying them. The rental v6 mustang you speak of is within 2 tenths second in the 1/4 mile as the 2010 Gt. My rental V6 can shoot me 0-60 in consistently 4.8 seconds and that's with some bolt on mods and a tune. Just based upon my bolt on mods the car should be able to achieve a 13 flat too 13.2 1/4 mile time. Not bad for a rental vehicle. The 2011 plus mustang rental V6' s are not 1999 or 2009 V6. It's a new breed and Ford is bringing power to them. A good bit of HP and torque are locked away hidden but it doesn't take much to unleash that hidden power.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

See , that's where the mind set is. The stigma of the old rental car mustang. The issue is that Ford evolved the Mustang and its power. So did the buyers and the breed of people buying them. The rental v6 mustang you speak of is within 2 tenths second in the 1/4 mile as the 2010 Gt. My rental V6 can shoot me 0-60 in consistently 4.8 seconds and that's with some bolt on mods and a tune. The rental V6' s are not 1999 or 2009 V6. It's a new breed and Ford is bringing power to them. A good bit of HP and torque are locked away hidden but it doesn't take much to unleash that hidden power.
No. You clearly have an issue with a stigma though. It has nothing to do with a mindset. At least not here. Perhaps with the general public who doesn't know better. The fact is that where I live, which is a destination area where tourism is very important, 95% of all Mustangs on the road are rental cars. They are everywhere. Ford makes a killing off selling to rental companies. Doesn't make them bad, it just is what it is. I rented one recently on a trip. Great car. None of them had the pp pack though..

I didn't call the v6 mustang a rental car. It is clearly much more than that. It is a fact though that they are smart in finding a balance in performance and safety that the general public can enjoy while not killing themselves or my kids, and enthusiasts like us can tweak to bring alive.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Quote:
I'm not saying that FoMoCo should have built the V6ers as high performance fire breathers, but the beauty of it is to do as you wish with it, if that's what you want to do. The V6 Mustang makes a terrific platform for high performance mods or any mod without having to spend big bucks as opposed to a Boss 302 or a Shelby. So if your like me, I like to wrench on my own toys and to be proud of the results
Retrokid63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No. You clearly have an issue with a stigma though. It has nothing to do with a mindset. At least not here. Perhaps with the general public who doesn't know better. The fact is that where I live, which is a destination area where tourism is very important, 95% of all Mustangs on the road are rental cars. They are everywhere. Ford makes a killing off selling to rental companies. Doesn't make them bad, it just is what it is. I rented one recently on a trip. Great car. None of them had the pp pack though..

I didn't call the v6 mustang a rental car. It is clearly much more than that. It is a fact though that they are smart in finding a balance in performance and safety that the general public can enjoy while not killing themselves or my kids, and enthusiasts like us can tweak to bring alive.
Well I agree people need to driver safe no matter what size engine they have.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not saying that FoMoCo should have built the V6ers as high performance fire breathers, but the beauty of it is to do as you wish with it, if that's what you want to do. The V6 Mustang makes a terrific platform for high performance mods or any mod without having to spend big bucks as opposed to a Boss 302 or a Shelby. So if your like me, I like to wrench on my own toys and to be proud of the results
I've got all thumbs sir. I hate to admit this, but I will here for the first time.. I've never even changed my own oil. It's terrible. There are many things I am good at, anything involving a tool is really not on that list. I have always been envious of those with the know how and patience to work on their own car
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You really hit the nail on the head. In my opinion up until 2011 the V6 platform had been really weak when it came to power and performance. 2010 and under had no real performance and the base line was weak. Its was all looks and no real performance and even with bolt on mods it wasn't even close to pushing 300 HP.

2011 v6 3.7 was born and Ford changed the game. What a great platform Ford gave this new V6. 305 HP and 280 torque factory jump. Gt suspension options , High speed rated 19 inch tires, etc. It is a performance machine underneath that was dummied and tamed down to be the economical mustang. Just a few bolt on mods and throw out the great economical mustang and say hello to high performance mustang. Ford gave it a great platform.

Get that one piece aluminum driveshaft and unleash the true potential of your stang. The 3.7 V6 is a true performance muscle car just not as much muscle as its brother the Gt.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You really hit the nail on the head. In my opinion up until 2011 the V6 platform had been really weak when it came to power and performance. 2010 and under had no real performance and the base line was weak. Its was all looks and no real performance and even with bolt on mods it wasn't even close to pushing 300 HP.

2011 v6 3.7 was born and Ford changed the game. What a great platform Ford gave this new V6. 305 HP and 280 torque factory jump. Gt suspension options , High speed rated 19 inch tires, etc. It is a performance machine underneath that was dummied and tamed down to be the economical mustang. Just a few bolt on mods and throw out the great economical mustang and say hello to high performance mustang. Ford gave it a great platform.

Get that one piece aluminum driveshaft and unleash the true potential of your stang. The 3.7 V6 is a true performance muscle car just not as much muscle as its brother the Gt.
Agreed!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

A driveshaft alone does not unlease the potential of the 3.7 V6. It takes more.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A driveshaft alone does not unlease the potential of the 3.7 V6. It takes more.
Well, yeah silly. I know that. Lol. Its just one more mod to make it faster and safer. In order to unlock the cars true high speed potential having the one piece aluminium driveshaft is a definite must have. Plus a tuner to remove the 113 mph speed limiter. Then your in business.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
I did the same thing. Got a 2 piece aluminum DS from the driveshaft shop. Best mod I've gotten. Really lightens up the car and better off the line acceleration. Also had her up to 160+ mph easy now and don't have to worry about a driveshaft exploding underneath me
Agreed! Im n germany and the temptation to go over 120 was too much, I now have piece of mind and go over 130 a couple times a week
ricbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #51
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbjj View Post
Agreed! Im n germany and the temptation to go over 120 was too much, I now have piece of mind and go over 130 a couple times a week
The drivers in Germany are light years ahead of us when it comes to driver education. last I heard, it was about 2 to 3 months of school which sets you back almost 1500 hundred bucks. Then it's two road tests.

Screw up your driving privledge by doing something stupid, and you loose your driving permit for 6 months, and have to take school again at a cost.

I'd much rather drive in Germany at the speeds folks talk about here. Much safer.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
That's mostly true, americans with current American license don't need to do any of that. To get your initial yes, but if u have one no. If u have a valid stateside license u need to take 50 question multiple choice test and get an 85. International is even easier 15 euro and your in there. And you only lose your license for dui and 37 k over in residential and 41 highway. The average speed limit on the autobahn is 80mph, then many have huge gaps with none posted. You don't see the state patrols hanging out with radar guns. Been here 5 yrs and never had a traffic stop, traffic cops don't exist. Granted slow drivers do stay tothe right, most adhere to posted speed limits. But trust me accidents still happen regularly here.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

I was in the states the past week, I drove from maine to philly, I honestly do not see a reason why areas can't be posted at 80 or even 75. The roads are the same, in fact Germany
Is worst, the only difference is vehicle inpsection laws here, they are insane, but people skirt them often
ricbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #53
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I spent 5 years in the Manhiem area on a government cntract (telecommunications switching equipment). Loved it there. The drivers were just so much more trained and respectful. I enjoyed a trip from Manhiem to Poland, and got to spend quite a bit of non posted speeds doing that trip. I still remained in the center lane though, as my rental only got me in the 240 to 250 KPH speeds. But it was legal!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
There's no need to do more than a few over the speed limit. There are no mods you can bolt onto your car to make it safe enough to do 110 or faster on roads where the speed limit is lower AND most everyone else is abiding by that speed limit. It's just dangerous.

I would do the 1pc DS if I planned on driving on a track. But for the occasional "blowing out the carbon" run...I still don't see a need for it.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
There's no need to do more than a few over the speed limit. There are no mods you can bolt onto your car to make it safe enough to do 110 or faster on roads where the speed limit is lower AND most everyone else is abiding by that speed limit. It's just dangerous.

I would do the 1pc DS if I planned on driving on a track. But for the occasional "blowing out the carbon" run...I still don't see a need for it.
I totally agree with the "safe" thing and I think that's the whole point....is to replace a "weak link" with something stronger and safer, just in case. I live in northern Maine and the roads here aren't the greatest, and the moose here are plentiful. Personally, I would rarely do speeds of 110 and higher. It would just be a suicide run. So, is the one piece DS a waist of time and money for me, maybe, but I just like having a little extra security, just in case
Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I totally agree with the "safe" thing and I think that's the whole point....is to replace a "weak link" with something stronger and safer, just in case. I live in northern Maine and the roads here aren't the greatest, and the moose here are plentiful. Personally, I would rarely do speeds of 110 and higher. It would just be a suicide run. So, is the one piece DS a waist of time and money for me, maybe, but I just like having a little extra security, just in case
If Ford didn't want to give people the ability to drive 145 mph in a v6 mustang they would of never given the engine that type of capability in doing such. They may put a computer speed governor on the engine but that's not the same as not making the engine capable of running those high speeds of 145. Lmao.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Well, yeah silly. I know that. Lol. Its just one more mod to make it faster and safer. In order to unlock the cars true high speed potential having the one piece aluminium driveshaft is a definite must have. Plus a tuner to remove the 113 mph speed limiter. Then your in business.
And higher speed rated tires.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post

Counter argument
The 1 of driveshaft has less driveline vibration, giving your car a more refined ride
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

And higher speed rated tires.
Absolutely!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

If Ford didn't want to give people the ability to drive 145 mph in a v6 mustang they would of never given the engine that type of capability in doing such. They may put a computer speed governor on the engine but that's not the same as not making the engine capable of running those high speeds of 145. Lmao.
the smartest thing said on this thread so far^
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Germany sounds a lot different driving there than it was for me in Italy.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

Lol. Thanks bro. Every now and then I have a moment. Lmao
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 stang22 View Post

No. It's just the statement you agree with the most.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No. It's just the statement you agree with the most.
Well I do agree with the statement as well but I'm partial. Ba ha ha ha. Heck with it bro. Were all mustang enthusiasts. You know what? If we all met, I would buy all you guys a beer. We may agree to disagree sometimes but in the end we all have a passion about mustangs and love our awesome iconic stangs.

I feel a group hug coming on. Hug hug hug hug!
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Well I do agree with the statement as well but I'm partial. Ba ha ha ha. Heck with it bro. Were all mustang enthusiasts. You know what? If we all met, I would buy all you guys a beer. We may agree to disagree sometimes but in the end we all have a passion about mustangs and love our awesome iconic stangs.

Group hug!! Just don't kill your kids XD
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Group hug!! Just don't kill your kids XD
Lmao. You saw my video. Lmao. I wasn't going that fast.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. I'm all about the occasional group hug.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok. I'm all about the occasional group hug.
That's right bro. Bring it in and group hug time. Lol. Of course we did go off track from the OP and I do recall rumor about people thought Ford changed the driveshaft on the 13 models. I guess not if the dude on the you tube video has a 2014 model and same old two piece aluminum driveshaft that was on my 11 model. The driveshaft I saw on that you tube video looks identical to my old two piece.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #69
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
There's a different way of thinking this; Ford gave us the ability to get the car up to speed much quicker than others, and not nessesarily a top speed. Top speed is for a track, and not for public roads unless they are closed off for special events such as a top speed run. If this is what one is after, then by all means, go for it. Enjoy. I just don't see how Ford is considered by some to be faulty for installing a part that is perfectly fine and safe for posted public speeds.
I have nothing against making a car go beyond a governed top speed; just do it for the track. Ford gave the Boss a "track key" for this purpose.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
There's a different way of thinking this; Ford gave us the ability to get the car up to speed much quicker than others, and not nessesarily a top speed. Top speed is for a track, and not for public roads unless they are closed off for special events such as a top speed run. If this is what one is after, then by all means, go for it. Enjoy. I just don't see how Ford is considered by some to be faulty for installing a part that is perfectly fine and safe for posted public speeds.
I have nothing against making a car go beyond a governed top speed; just do it for the track. Ford gave the Boss a "track key" for this purpose.
I would have to agree!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang