CAI vs Standard Air box with K&N - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Yes I said it: A really bad idea said it again.

Filling the holes with duct tape on the inside would not be to wise. That is unless you really want it to come loose and be sucked into the MAF. If you don't want to do it right like Bucko did I suggest you do not do it at all.

The engine sucks a tremendous amount of air and would suck the tape off as faster then you put it on.

Ronnie
Going out to pull it off now.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the MAF sensor is before the resonator, so it wouldn't be the MAF sensor to worry about. It would be sucking the tape into the intake that would be the concern.
Correct, it would be getting sucked into the throttle body.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Ya know, I'm lookin' at the Steeda CAI, and the intake hose on that guy might just work to replace the stock intake hose. Any takers on that idea?

Steeda 2011-14 V6 Mustang Cold Air Intake - Made in the USA 555-3159
Their intake tube is a joke to me. It's flexible and flexes. It's a bigger tube but like I preach, still a 3" throttle body.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post

I feel like in theory this would be a good idea, but I don't know how the tape would hold up to the heat and humidity it would be subjected to.
Not to mention if it gets sucked in your engine. You could kiss that motor goodbye.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Their intake tube is a joke to me. It's flexible and flexes. It's a bigger tube but like I preach, still a 3" throttle body.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Not to mention if it gets sucked in your engine. You could kiss that motor goodbye.
It's already off. I only drove a few miles. Tape hadn't moved at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post

Would you say the muffler delete is more of an in the car or out of the car sound mod? I taped off the holes from the inside just to see if it made a difference, and while driving I would have to say if there was any difference it was barely noticeable. Does it affect mainly under hood sound, or will it also affect the sound coming out of my Magnaflow Streets?
STOP!!!!!!!! Don't risk major damage to you stang!

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:

It's already off. I only drove a few miles. Tape hadn't moved at all.
Good! Dude c'mon!!!! You did realize that if it came off it would directly enter you intake didn't you???
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

STOP!!!!!!!! Don't risk major damage to you stang!

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Good! Dude c'mon!!!! You did realize that if it came off it would directly enter you intake didn't you???
I knew it would head to the throttle body but it was on so tight I really didn't think a short test drive would allow it to come off. And when I went to peel it off it was just as tight as when I put it on. I made sure there were no loose edges. Just a test...
Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I knew it would head to the throttle body but it was on so tight I really didn't think a short test drive would allow it to come off. And when I went to peel it off it was just as tight as when I put it on. I made sure there were no loose edges. Just a test...
I'm glad it went O.K 4 you. Yikes!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Some ppl bro some ppl. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this forum so far. Wow you are lucky bro. You obviously didn't pay for that car.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #43
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Sucking tape into the engine would not be a good thing !!!

Bucko tells of the way to do this properly.

Myself, I would just save up some $$$ and buy one I like

I have always felt that rigging crap on any car is a good way to end up with a crappy car. In other words, If you can't do it right just don't do it at all.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bucko tells of the way to do this properly.

Myself, I would just save up some $$$ and buy one I like

I have always felt that rigging crap on any car is a good way to end up with a crappy car. In other words, If you can't do it right just don't do it at all.

Ronnie
Wise words from a wise man
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Some ppl bro some ppl. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this forum so far. Wow you are lucky bro. You obviously didn't pay for that car.
Yes, I did. Cash.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes, I did. Cash.
Then go buy a CAI, cash. And not risk blowing your motor over a piece of duck tape
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I just wanted to see if blocking those holes made a difference. I must have done something right, it's not like when I opened it back up the tape was flapping around. If you guys think I'm the dumbest person out here, that's a matter opinion.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't think you are dumb at all.

Over the years we have all done dumb things.

Not thinking anything about what would happen if the duck tape came loose is just an oversight and don't mean you are dumb at all. I'm just happy that everything went OK for you.

Ronnie

PS: I still do dumb things ever once in a while.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Over the years we have all done dumb things.

Not thinking anything about what would happen if the duck tape came loose is just an oversight and don't mean you are dumb at all. I'm just happy that everything went OK for you.

Ronnie

PS: I still do dumb things ever once in a while.
Thing is, I did think about what would happen ahead of time. I knew it would get sucked through the throttle body if it came off. But I also felt very comfortable after putting it on that there were no edges sticking up, and I overlapped each piece that the air would flow over the edges like water runs over shingles. No offense taken by your comments, Ronnie.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote:

Thing is, I did think about what would happen ahead of time. I knew it would get sucked through the throttle body if it came off. But I also felt very comfortable after putting it on that there were no edges sticking up, and I overlapped each piece that the air would flow over the edges like water runs over shingles. No offense taken by your comments, Ronnie.
And I could barely pick it off.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
It's not the dumbest. There was a guy who decided he'd clean out his engine by running water through it from a garden hose.

I thought the problem with Ford's cai was the way it was positioned, it sucks in hot air from the engine? With an aftermarket cai like airraid you get colder air and that's where the HP gain is from.
D2theJ2theC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
He was doing an oil change and wanted to get all the dirty oil out apparently.
D2theJ2theC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2theJ2theC View Post

It's not the dumbest. There was a guy who decided he'd clean out his engine by running water through it from a garden hose.

I thought the problem with Ford's cai was the way it was positioned, it sucks in hot air from the engine? With an aftermarket cai like airraid you get colder air and that's where the HP gain is from.
Holy cow...

The after market CAI for our mustang mixes hot air from the engine compartment AND draws air from the same place as the stock airbox. I think that the only real gain is with the amount of airflow the CAI allows. A lid on my airaid would be awesome for preventing all of that hot air from the engine bay.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You have a lid on the Airaid

It is called the hood If you look close you will see the rubber seal around the top of your Airaid CAI actually sets slightly against the hood. all of the air is still coming in from the front of your grill area.

Most of the CAI's are like this. Then there are some that do not. Look before you buy.

Ronnie
Old 09-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

IMO it should have been a sealed box like the OEM air box!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is called the hood If you look close you will see the rubber seal around the top of your Airaid CAI actually sets slightly against the hood. all of the air is still coming in from the front of your grill area.

Most of the CAI's are like this. Then there are some that do not. Look before you buy.

Ronnie
It's still an open system. Not wanting to argue, but it lets in more hot air than the stock airbox.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post

It's still an open system. Not wanting to argue, but it lets in more hot air than the stock airbox.
+1, If it was really about "performance" it would have been a sealed box, not with a dinky cheap piece of rubber. If you look carefully at Ronnie's picture you can see the kinked "seal" that won't provide an air tight unit! They should remove the seal and put a hard plastic cover over it like the stock air box to truly have a cold air intake IMO. For 300$ I'd expect better. For me its a 150$ max purchase for what you actually get.1 tube,a couple of clamps and a filter =300$????
Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #57
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Then it would not look so great++++++

When you pop the hood open

If you think that the small amount of air sucked into that Airaid when at top RPM is anything much to worry about you are wrong.
The air is forced into the cold air inlet at the front of the grill and thru the tube into the airbox and will keep a lot of the under hood air out. Maybe not so much at lower RPM when it don't matter anyway.

If you want a good CAI with a top on it you need to just keep the stock airbox . It is very,very good and works well.
***********************************BUT**************************

It sure don't look as good as a CAI when you pop he hood and show off the cool air filter.

Ronnie
Old 09-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When you pop the hood open

If you think that the small amount of air sucked into that Airaid when at top RPM is anything much to worry about you are wrong.
The air is forced into the cold air inlet at the front of the grill and thru the tube into the airbox and will keep a lot of the under hood air out. Maybe not so much at lower RPM when it don't matter anyway.

If you want a good CAI with a top on it you need to just keep the stock airbox . It is very,very good and works well.
***********************************BUT**************************

It sure don't look as good as a CAI when you pop he hood and show off the cool air filter.

Ronnie
I'll agree with you about the eye candy, it does look good and sound good, but it should be sealed with maybe a removable top to show it off when the hood is opened. There is NO WAY that the any after market CAI with a open top is going to provide better cold air than the mustangs stock sealed box! That being said as long as the tb is the same it also won't provide any more air into the intake unless you increase the tb diameter. I just purchased the tuner/CAI intake combo from AM because the CAI was almost 1/2 price in the combo, but I'm still wondering if the 170 for it was even worth it. I figured I was ordering the tuner anyway so I'll try it out and if I didn't care for it I could sell it and make a couple of $$. I'll just have to see for myself. Again this is just my 2ยข
Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Closed systems like airaid and steeda work best. Others use the air inlet and don't have the whole box effect the airaid or steeda have. If you guys know what I'm saying? The competition uses a minimalistic air box, letting in hot air. Airaid doesn't. But the quality isn't up to par with me.

See, closed box with the good closed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1056125574.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	126992  
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #60
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I really like the quality of my Airaid

It fit perfect and I find no flaws at all. I did not have the problem with the grommets like you did. I did have to install the coupler onto the throttle body first unlike they show installing it on the Air tube first in the AM video. The top seals nice against the hood and everything plugged in perfect.

No quality or any other problems with my Airaid.

Ronnie
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Would you say the tube flows as any other with all the bends Ronnie? That's why I'm just not feeling it anymore. Too many bends
Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yea the JLT is actually the best performance other than steeda. It's a straight shot tube
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Yea the JLT is actually the best performance other than steeda. It's a straight shot tube
Look at C&L on their site. They show exactly why theirs is the best and no, it's not a sales pitch. They actually use real numbers.

I'll look into the jlt. I want something beside airaid and steeda
Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #64
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The bends are not really that bad for the airflow.

The inside diameter of the Airaid air tube is the same diameter from the filter to the throttle body. The bends are not really that tight and there is absolutely no change in the inside diameter or restrictions to slow down the flow or cause any turbulence.

There are plenty of Cold air packages to choose from and unless you are going to be driving around at redline all of the time sucking in the maximum amount of air everyplace you go any of them will work just fine. ( including the stock air box)

It's just to bad you can get a nice shaker hood system for the 5.0 but we can't get one for our V6 engines.

Get the one you like looking at when you pop the hood because as far as performance goes they all will feed way more air then your engine is going to use.

As far as trying to believe those dyno tests on any CAI !!!! The car is stationary and not moving at all so no actual the way it happens at true speed airflow.

Sticking a fan in front of the car sure ain't like driving down the highway so don't even go there.

Ronnie
Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Quote:
The inside diameter of the Airaid air tube is the same diameter from the filter to the throttle body. The bends are not really that tight and there is absolutely no change in the inside diameter or restrictions to slow down the flow or cause any turbulence.

There are plenty of Cold air packages to choose from and unless you are going to be driving around at redline all of the time sucking in the maximum amount of air everyplace you go any of them will work just fine. ( including the stock air box)

It's just to bad you can get a nice shaker hood system for the 5.0 but we can't get one for our V6 engines.

Get the one you like looking at when you pop the hood because as far as performance goes they all will feed way more air then your engine is going to use.

As far as trying to believe those dyno tests on any CAI !!!! The car is stationary and not moving at all so no actual the way it happens at true speed airflow.

Sticking a fan in front of the car sure ain't like driving down the highway so don't even go there.

Ronnie
Well said and I also wish there was a shaker kit for us V6er's
Retrokid63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
So with all this research I've been doing. A straight one is just as good as airaid. The bends and that pesky flapping grommet bother me. I guess I can super glue it in or something.

C&L is straight and has a 4 inch to 3 inch tube. Causing the air to force itself in. But, like you stated the engine will take what it needs. I like the airaid with the close box look. Don't see any weird stuff like the jlt and its minimal design.

I'm so bipolar over these things :/
Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

So with all this research I've been doing. A straight one is just as good as airaid. The bends and that pesky flapping grommet bother me. I guess I can super glue it in or something.

C&L is straight and has a 4 inch to 3 inch tube. Causing the air to force itself in. But, like you stated the engine will take what it needs. I like the airaid with the close box look. Don't see any weird stuff like the jlt and its minimal design.

I'm so bipolar over these things :/
Lol.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #68
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I can't understand why you are having such a problem.

With something as easy to install as a Grommet.

The grommet fits into the air tube. Then just rub a little spit onto the fitting and tilt the fitting a little and twist it into the air tube.

So easy.
Ronnie

PS: I just may be wrong but from the pictures I have just looked at, Both the C&L And the JLT Cai's do not couple up to the factory cold air Ford inlet tube that allows outside cold air directly into the air box from the grill area. The Airaid does.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
With something as easy to install as a Grommet.

The grommet fits into the air tube. Then just rub a little spit onto the fitting and tilt the fitting a little and twist it into the air tube.

So easy.
Ronnie

PS: I just may be wrong but from the pictures I have just looked at, Both the C&L And the JLT Cai's do not couple up to the factory cold air Ford inlet tube that allows outside cold air directly into the air box from the grill area. The Airaid does.
Yeah that's what I was saying as a closed intake box. The others just let the bottom fall out and aren't a good box type. Airaid does hook up to the inlet tube nice and tight. I reinstalled it this morning. I super glued the grommet in place too.

As far as when I installed it, one side is shallow, the other side is deep. Almost like the crank valve is too short or the tube wasn't produced correctly. I may just call airaid and see if I can get a new tube. Mine was kinda shady built it appears.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

I had to increase the hole size on my airaid for the crankcase fitting. The hole diameter would not pass the aluminum fitting without some force. Add the grommet and no amount of lube would prevent cutting the grommet on insertion.

If you call airaid they will replace the split grommet if you had the same issue.

Another thing to note is that the fitting and stock hose don't line up without straining the fitting and grommet. Not too bad but a few degrees towards the passenger side would alleviate that strain on my intake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai