CAI vs Standard Air box with K&N - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
I had to increase the hole size on my airaid for the crankcase fitting. The hole diameter would not pass the aluminum fitting without some force. Add the grommet and no amount of lube would prevent cutting the grommet on insertion.

If you call airaid they will replace the split grommet if you had the same issue.

Another thing to note is that the fitting and stock hose don't line up without straining the fitting and grommet. Not too bad but a few degrees towards the passenger side would alleviate that strain on my intake.
Where were you 2 months ago lol

This is exactly my problem. The valve is bent some, my grommet is split about 1/4 around.

I called airaid and they gave me 2 free and tons of stickers. How did you go about widening the hole? I'm no fabricator, just learning mechanicals for engineering
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #72
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I did not have to modify anything on my Airaid

BUT if I seen the hole was not large enough I would just get some sandpaper and stick it around my finger and enlarge the hole to size needed. You will learn over the next 50 or 60 years of fooling around with cars you will need to actually look to see how to make some of this stuff fit perfectly.

Your lucky you are not into modifying Harley Davidson Motorcycles. Nothing ever fit on one of them right out of the box.

If you look very close you can see I had to cut a notch in my engine cover to fit.

The engine cover was not made for the Automatic so a slight alteration was needed.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

As my dad says,"it's aftermarket it'll 80 percent fit the rest is what you paid for, to modify and take up your weekends.
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #74
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Listen to your Dad.

He Said:
Quote:
As my dad says,"it's aftermarket it'll 80 percent fit the rest is what you paid for, to modify and take up your weekends.
He sure was right.

Ronnie
Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #75
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
It's still an open system. Not wanting to argue, but it lets in more hot air than the stock airbox.
I agree. Which is why most CAI's out there are not better than the stock arrangement.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #76
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
I had to increase the hole size on my airaid for the crankcase fitting. The hole diameter would not pass the aluminum fitting without some force. Add the grommet and no amount of lube would prevent cutting the grommet on insertion.

If you call airaid they will replace the split grommet if you had the same issue.

Another thing to note is that the fitting and stock hose don't line up without straining the fitting and grommet. Not too bad but a few degrees towards the passenger side would alleviate that strain on my intake.
With all due respect, you shouldn't have to modify your modification. Airaid should come fully built and ready to install with a plug to cover the extra fitting for those that have a manual transmission. Just my 2 cents.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

I'll ship you mine and tell you to have fun lol

I gotta sand mine bigger and get a few more grommets
Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

With all due respect, you shouldn't have to modify your modification. Airaid should come fully built and ready to install with a plug to cover the extra fitting for those that have a manual transmission. Just my 2 cents.
I agree, they're already way overpriced they can at least have everything fit perfectly!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

I agree, they're already way overpriced they can at least have everything fit perfectly!
My airraid cai fit perfectly and really like it. Totally worth it when you have a complete exhaust system along with tune.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

My airraid cai fit perfectly and really like it. Totally worth it when you have a complete exhaust system along with tune.
Good to hear, I hope mine fits problem free.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #81
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I had no problem with mine

Grommet fit good and the fitting went right in. I love the high level of quality of my Airaid and 100% happy with it.

If I did have a problem I sure would have just sanded the hole a little larger and it would not bother me at all.

Ronnie
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post

Yes, I did. Cash.
There lies the problem! You got too much money on your hands.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcanno167 View Post

There lies the problem! You got too much money on your hands.
Didn't know I had a problem...
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
So no one here thinks its an issue that the 13-14 GT and its hood vents allow rain water to flow freely on their open CAI? Im here to tell you it IS a problem and that running the stock airbox provides a smoother experience than an open CAI. (in my case, even with a CAI tune added).

Its a well known fact that Ford engineered the stock airbox to not need an aftermarket CAI - starting in 2011 and perfecting it further in 2013.

This thread is about the K&N drop in filter. I'll say this, edelbrocks stage 1 supercharger adds a K&N filter to the FACTORY air box (replacing the tube only). Not to bump egos here, but Edelbrock has 100% more credibility to me than random posters in a pissing match forum.

If the above setup is OK for a F/I system by a highly reputable company, that should be a enough proof it works just fine. They could have easily swayed you to an open CAI, claiming it was a "must". Instead they instead sell it as an option and dont cram it down your throat will fantasy claims of 15+ HP.
WileECoyoteGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
^You're wrong. The new cold air induction system on your 5.0 started on the 2010 4.6. Also, an aftermarket CAI company provides a plug for the hood vents found on the 13-14 GT and Boss.

Don't ask me how I know, I'm just a random poster.

#gravedigging
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

After seeing what is involved with removing the sound baffle the safest way, by buying another factory tube to cut and paste, the simple Airaid replacement tube looks more appealing. Spending $80+ in parts and materials plus labor on a homemade rigged job, or spend $105 shipped for Airaid 450-945 intake tube ready to bolt on? Both keeps factory tube safe and unmolested in case it needs to go back on.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
After seeing what is involved with removing the sound baffle the safest way, by buying another factory tube to cut and paste, the simple Airaid replacement tube looks more appealing. Spending $80+ in parts and materials plus labor on a homemade rigged job, or spend $105 shipped for Airaid 450-945 intake tube ready to bolt on? Both keeps factory tube safe and unmolested in case it needs to go back on.

That tube wasn't available when this thread started. Glad it is now, that would be the best way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
^You're wrong. The new cold air induction system on your 5.0 started on the 2010 4.6. Also, an aftermarket CAI company provides a plug for the hood vents found on the 13-14 GT and Boss.

#gravedigging
I committed a typo sin, shame on me...2010 yes. It was pretty touch and go there for a while

Plugging a functional hood vent for a CAI. What a great idea! Maybe they make a plug for the grill vent as well.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
The atermarket CAI's are just ridiculous expensive. Even the tube you mention $105 for a plastic tube..really?! The mark up on these things is HUGE and why companies make these insane HP gain statements. Its a cash cow product, hence why so many names in the mix.

For the 13-14 GT, seems the ideal setup is a K&N drop in, a larger tube and a tune No matter how big you make the intake or tube, the throttle body is still the same size however. Since swapping throttle bodies is a waste of $$$ on a non F/I car, it waters down somewhat the need for a CAI change.

I do agree with the above setup with F/I. Knowing a guy that owns a dyno shop is VERY convenient. When I go F/I, will be happy to do an unbiased compare between stock airbox to open CAI. The dyno proved -on my current setup- that it did little to nothing for performance.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Here's something you guys should know before you take the silencer out of your stock airbox tube to make it louder. If you google any of this text you will find multiple websites that have the exact same article, so who knows who the real original author is. Hopefully he/she forgives me for not giving proper credit.

Design and Construction
The resonator itself couldn't be simpler in design; it's basically just an expansion chamber or wide spot in the otherwise-smooth intake pipe. It may or may not contain some kind of baffle or plate, depending upon the design and the intent of the designers. Resonators come in two types: In-line resonators are open chambers that sit in the intake tube, while side-branch resonators are chambers that sit next to the tube and are connected to it via a small duct or channel.

The Common Misconception
Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.

Pressure Wave Harmonics
Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.

Intake Tube Pulses
The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.

The Resonator
Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
^Great read, thanks.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

CAI vs Standard Air box with K&N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Here's something you guys should know before you take the silencer out of your stock airbox tube to make it louder. If you google any of this text you will find multiple websites that have the exact same article, so who knows who the real original author is. Hopefully he/she forgives me for not giving proper credit.

Design and Construction
The resonator itself couldn't be simpler in design; it's basically just an expansion chamber or wide spot in the otherwise-smooth intake pipe. It may or may not contain some kind of baffle or plate, depending upon the design and the intent of the designers. Resonators come in two types: In-line resonators are open chambers that sit in the intake tube, while side-branch resonators are chambers that sit next to the tube and are connected to it via a small duct or channel.

The Common Misconception
Most hot-rodders and car enthusiasts think of intake resonators as simple mufflers in the intake tube, devices designed to siphon all the awesomeness out of a car's sound track to appease soccer moms and senior citizens. That makes it a prime candidate for the "chuck-it" school of auto modification. After all, it's basically just a plastic tumor growing off of a tube that should by definition be as smooth and blemish free as possible. While sound control is indeed part of the resonator's job, the sound control itself is really more of a side effect of its primary purpose.

Pressure Wave Harmonics
Air flowing into your cylinder head's intake port doesn't move in a straight line while the valve is open, then politely stop in its tracks to await another valve opening. When the valve closes, the moving column of air slams into it, then compresses and bounces back like a spring. This pressure wave travels backward at the speed of sound until the intake runner opens up or it hits something, and then it bounces back toward the cylinder. This is the "first harmonic." The pressure wave actually bounces back and forth two or three more times before the intake valve opens again.

Intake Tube Pulses
The resonator in your intake is technically known as a Helmholz resonator, an acoustic device used to control pressure wave harmonics. Air bouncing back out of your engine and into the intake tube doesn't do it in a single pulse the way it would in a single intake runner; the multiple pistons put out pressure waves at their own intervals, and some of those are going to try to bounce back in while others are going out. The result is a "clog" or high pressure area in your intake tube that ultimately limits airflow through almost the entire rpm spectrum.

The Resonator
Adding an expansion chamber to the intake tube forces air coming back out of the engine to slow down to fill the cavity, thus expending a great deal of its energy and slowing the pressure wave reversion. This slowdown allows fresh air to flow toward the engine without fighting pressure reversion waves the entire way, thus aiding in cylinder filling. Since these pressure waves are essentially sound, giving them a place to expend their energy before exiting the air filter box ends up dampening the intake noise and quieting the engine. Thus, the resonator helps to make the engine paradoxically quieter and more powerful.

I did find and read this before deleting mine, but figuring my car is a Spring - Fall DD and am not trying to shave every 1/10th in the quarter mile off, I went ahead anyway.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

#gravedigging
Great, lets plug up the vents Ford added due to engine heat issues, they are there for a reason. Then once your vents to release the heat are plugged up, lets feed the engine all that hot air ! [The CAIs do not really seal well to your hood and suck i the hot air. They are also known as Hot air intakes. I know I tried a CAI on my 2013 V6, increased air temps was a result. No open CAI is in my 2013 GT now, I use the aFe air filter for the stock box, has more area then the factory or K&N filters.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
That tube wasn't available when this thread started. Glad it is now, that would be the best way to go.
+1, yes I too looked for a replacement air tube on my V6, that sounds like a great solution now to keep stock cold air box. I found no need to on the GT, its loud already with the Borla ATAKs.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Great, lets plug up the vents Ford added due to engine heat issues, they are there for a reason. Then once your vents to release the heat are plugged up, lets feed the engine all that hot air ! [The CAIs do not really seal well to your hood and suck i the hot air. They are also known as Hot air intakes. I know I tried a CAI on my 2013 V6, increased air temps was a result. No open CAI is in my 2013 GT now, I use the aRe air filter for the stock box, has more area then the factory or K&N filters.
Lol. Love it.

I think it's clear when you read through this that the primary goal if people getting aftermarket CAIs is not performance. If it was, people would care about your solid logical engineering reasoning. Even with what I posted about the silencer being functional and pressure harmonics, people don't care. That's because there are other factors at work here: Looks and sound. A CAI might as well be considered an appearance mod.

I don't want to be misinterpreted as bashing those folks. I'm saying that their reasoning is not based on performance, and there is nothing wrong with that. Is added a Stillen chin spoiler to my car, not because I delude myself into believing it will make my car faster by increasing down force. I bought it because I think it looks cool.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Down force lowers top speed doesn't it?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^Great read, thanks.
+1, I read that is how certain V8 intake runners also work; such as the Boss/Cobra ones.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. Love it.....
I don't want to be misinterpreted as bashing those folks. I'm saying that their reasoning is not based on performance, and there is nothing wrong with that. Is added a Stillen chin spoiler to my car, not because I delude myself into believing it will make my car faster by increasing down force. I bought it because I think it looks cool.
Well I agree its a great under hood appearance mod! That's why I got one on my V6. Put I don't want to repeat that again, the air temps would get really bad on an extreme hot day. There is one expensive CAI that has a closed off box, that guess what? You can open the top of the box for a car show and see the Cone filter!

Art
Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. Love it.

I think it's clear when you read through this that the primary goal if people getting aftermarket CAIs is not performance. If it was, people would care about your solid logical engineering reasoning. Even with what I posted about the silencer being functional and pressure harmonics, people don't care. That's because there are other factors at work here: Looks and sound. A CAI might as well be considered an appearance mod.

+1
Someone who finally gets there is not always a "one size fits all". It all depends on what people are after and how their car will be used mainly. There is always a give and take, gearing is the perfect example. You can't call someone stupid for putting 3.73s in their car because mileage will be lower. They understand that, but are willing to give up a little mileage for off the line performance.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Great thread. Lots of good info and some good opinions as well.

Personally, I like the CAI and think that if it was going to damage or hinder the performance of your car, these companies wouldn't sell as many as they do. I have one on my Roush and run it hard. Never have I had ANY intake air temp issues.

There were over 2500 mustangs at the AM show this weekend. I'll bet that of all the hoods that were up, 85% had a CAI. It's just part of Mustang modding.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Down force lowers top speed doesn't it?
Oh I don't know about top speed, but I believe down force improves acceleration by increasing traction, due to the increased normal force on the tires (fiction force = coefficient of friction x normal force). That's the point of spoilers. Anyone who knows for absolute certain, please chime in. I'm pretty confident but not 100% sure.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Great, lets plug up the vents Ford added due to engine heat issues, they are there for a reason. Then once your vents to release the heat are plugged up, lets feed the engine all that hot air ! [The CAIs do not really seal well to your hood and suck i the hot air. They are also known as Hot air intakes. I know I tried a CAI on my 2013 V6, increased air temps was a result. No open CAI is in my 2013 GT now, I use the aRe air filter for the stock box, has more area then the factory or K&N filters.
Exactly!...only you said it nicer than me There is absolutely no way that you can 100% seal the rubber piece around an open CAI to a hood liner. You can put on a 50 inch wide tube on your CAI, but are still working with a fixed diameter throttle body to feed it into your engine. You are not going to run out of air in a closed airbox.If air is rushing through a vent at speed there would be a surplus of air in the box, not a lack of!

Lets agree thats there's more science than function to air mass/velocity and CAI's. I have no science degrees or qualifications in that field!

Never heard of the aRe filter, but always interested in a better product!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. Love it.

I would disagree with saying that CAIs are purchased for cosmetic rather than performance reasons. Companies will have you believe that owning one is a must and it will greatly enhance HP (the whole kit probably costs $20 to manufacture). No one in there right mind would spend over $300 to swap out 1 ugly black tube and box for an even uglier (IMO) visible air filter and black tube....they do it for performance. I realize that some companies do make the nice metallic colors for the tube....great for a show car.

I dont care to see my oil filter filament anymore than I want to see an open CAI filament. A closed air box looks so much sleeker (again just an opinion)...hell just paint the stock box and tube fire engine red if you want it to look pretty! Plenty of high temp plastic paints out there.

The best of both worlds - for the sake of argument - here!: AEM AEM Mustang Cold Air Intake AEM-21-8122DC (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Well I agree its a great under hood appearance mod! That's why I got one on my V6. Put I don't want to repeat that again, the air temps would get really bad on an extreme hot day. There is one expensive CAI that has a closed off box, that guess what? You can open the top of the box for a car show and see the Cone filter!

Art
What filter is that?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyoteGT View Post
Never heard of the aRe filter, but always interested in a better product!
Sorry typos, changed my post above, it is Afe filter.

aFe 30-80179 Direct Fit Inverted Replacement Filter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai