CAI vs Standard Air box with K&N - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
Seeing no track ET gain with Airaid CAI and 4 different "87 street/performance" tunes (stock: 1/8 = 9.15 @ 78.39, 1/4 = 14.05 @ 100.51), plus the CAI rattled, tried some other things on my '14 PP manual. With no performance gains, then simply for looks and sound.

A different method, and only cost total of $95 including Airaid tube and sound tube. After two ebay sellers backordered Airaid tube on me, found same $105 price at Amazon, but they had a special offer to sign up for free card or something, and takes $40 off item. So $65 for Airaid tube shipped! Still did not give me the sound I wanted, and after debating going back to stock, tried modifying the Airaid tube with $30 sound tube. Success! Now it has the sound I was wanting, and it sounds GREAT both inside and out. Was in a hurry, and still need to remove to clean up elbow appearance a little.

None of the items others suggested using for sound tube installation in other threads were available at Ace, HD, or Lowes. Ended up getting an elbow with 3/4 female threads on one end, and OD of 1.60 on other end. This 1.60" OD fit snug inside sound tube hose. Added a 3/4 threaded male connector to elbow (connector cut in half to now be about .7" long), and also screwed this into 1" hole drilled into Airaird tube. Used permatex black plastic weld on threads, as well as smearing it outside and inside Airaid tube to smooth slight rise from threaded end barely protruding into tube. Sanded all smooth, inside and out, especially inside, to reduce obstruction to almost nothing, and what is there is very gradual rise and fall. Quick shot of black paint to blend sanded area. Probably only took 10 to 15 minutes of actual time modding the tube, including sanding.

My guess is that sound tube only changed the sound inside the car. The outside is probably the same before and after adding it to your Airaid tube.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
My guess is that sound tube only changed the sound inside the car. The outside is probably the same before and after adding it to your Airaid tube.

The Airaid tube does not have the stock intake tubes sound baffle/muffler, so it did increase the outside sound over stock intake tube when under a load.

Yes, sound tube only added sound in the cabin, but it is a very good, very noticeable engine intake sound (one foam insert removed). It comes on much sooner and lasts all the way until shift points. Combined sounds is what I was looking for.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Airaid tube does not have the stock intake tubes baffle/muffler, so it did increase the outside sound over stock intake tube when under a load.

Yes, sound tube only added sound in the cabin, but it is a very good, very noticeable engine intake sound.

Correct. I actually have a post in the DIY section where I closed off my silencer box before Airaid finally started selling just the modular tube. I just wanted to make sure you weren't thinking that the sound tube changed the outside sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I just did this as well and it is AMAZING! Great sound and the performance is still the same.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

I was just thinking. What if you used a breather valve? Cut off the sound resonators plug up one of the holes and then add a breather tube to the other one. That would open up the intake and allow for the sound to be noticed a bit more
Old 09-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Is the consensus that using the Airaid Intake Tube with the stock airbox does improve the sound to some degree?
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

It may but the only way to get great sound is to install a GT sound tube!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Where did you get your sound tube? (Sorry if I missed it in this thread).
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #184
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
You can buy them from the V8 guys for about $25.

I did, and love it.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Ditto
Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post

Sound tube delivers in cabin sound only, not outside car.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Guess I will start with Airaid intake and see if that works for me.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

If you go with an Airaid CAI or an Airaid tube (or any aftermarket CAI), the exterior sound heard will improve (can also be heard inside car). Sound will come on much sooner if you also install a tune, so you won't need to be in it all the time to hear the sound.

The V8 sound tube only adds your real actual intake sounds to the interior, and does an excellent job at that, much more noticeable than either intake or intake tube. Requires permanent simple modifying to which ever air intake tube you are using. I wanted to keep stock Ford tube original, which was main reason for going with Airaid tube, but also ended up with added bonus of exterior sound improvements from the Airaid tube.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Sound tube delivers in cabin sound only, not outside car.

I know...
Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you go with an Airaid CAI or an Airaid tube (or any aftermarket CAI), the exterior sound heard will improve (can also be heard inside car). Sound will come on much sooner if you also install a tune, so you won't need to be in it all the time to hear the sound.

The V8 sound tube only adds your real actual intake sounds to the interior, and does an excellent job at that, much more noticeable than either intake or intake tube. Requires permanent simple modifying to which ever air intake tube you are using. I wanted to keep stock Ford tube original, which was main reason for going with Airaid tube, but also ended up with added bonus of exterior sound improvements from the Airaid tube.
My point exactly with my above said comment. Sound is way better with the sound tube than with any intake I installed ( I like to hear my own car, don't really care how it sounds to anyone else)
Old 09-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Oh here is a fun video:
Mighty Car Mods - Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted [Tu…: http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI
Old 09-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #192
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Come on Mister Fintile

On that video they are testing with a foreign car with a turbo.
Of course the stock airbox works best

But as everybody knows already,
Put a CAI on a stock"MUSTANG" and it will add gob's of horsepower and torque.
( Even if you have some serious mods)

It is about the same increase in horsepower as adding a "FORD RACING" banner across a stock Mustang windshield.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
On that video they are testing with a foreign car with a turbo.
Of course the stock airbox works best

But as everybody knows already,
Put a CAI on a stock"MUSTANG" and it will add gob's of horsepower and torque.
( Even if you have some serious mods)

It is about the same increase in horsepower as adding a "FORD RACING" banner across a stock Mustang windshield.

Ronnie
LOL!!! Hey now they had that tube stick out about 3' though the headlight and gained 3HP!!! That's impressive. ..
Old 09-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondivots View Post
Where did you get your sound tube? (Sorry if I missed it in this thread).
I got mine off a guy locally for about $50 with an entire intake.

Now something I just tried out.

A little while back I ordered an Injen style intake on ebay for $60+shipping and the MAF sensor adapter didn't fit. So they sent me a new pipe. Turns out they had some error and sent me 2 AUTO pipes. So I thought to do an experiment.
I took one and cut off one end of the pipe (after the MAF sensor) to shorten the intake a bit. Then I attached a hose from the intake manifold breather to the nipple used for the automatics.

Upon start up everything was normal. Did a couple revs and it revved very nicely. Quick and didn't hang too much, but also didn't just drop. So throttle response is much better just from that.

Once warmed up I took it out. Gotta say this was quite impressive. Car just took off. It responded very nicely through all types of throttle points. Mashbit, tap it, lightly feather it. It just went. No lag either.
One of my main complaints with CAIs was they seamed to lag down low. this one was very quick down low much like the stock intake but it also felt like it pulled much harder in the upper rpms than the stock intake.

All in all I have all the peices. The stock intake w/ a K&N drop in filter, this Injen style CAI intake, and my custom SRI. I'll try to get to a dyno over the next few weeks to try them all back to back to compare.

Either way this custom "hack job" intake seams to feel the best. Like a stock and aftermarket love child. Smooth, great throttle response, good low end grunt, decent top end feel and of course that oh so wonderful symphony of sound that CAI's bring out.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #195
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't know about your car ---BUT---

When I installed my AirAid my throttle response got way better then it was. I had a K&N filter in my stock airbox.
My Mustang is a 3.7 2012 automatic and it is very responsive when I just tap it to pick up some speed or floor it.
I'm sure it did not add gob's of horsepower and torque but putting the CAI on did make a nice difference in the way my car feels. It took away that sluggishness.
Not only that but it sounds great when I get on it and looks great when I open my hood.
I'm happy I bought it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Here is the custom hack job. As you can see it's much shorter than most intakes. Sadly as I've mentioned before on so many thread my experiences with both an Airaid and an Injen were not that great. I think this may be the solution. Short ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411682418919.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	166867   Click image for larger version

Name:	1411682438242.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	166868  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai