How often do you fill gas? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglulu View Post

I get between 20 and 21. WTH?
City I get about 22 tops. It's all about baby tapping the gas. On the weekends or interstates its different. I travel at 65-70 though.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

City I get about 22 tops. It's all about baby tapping the gas. On the weekends or interstates its different. I travel at 65-70 though.
I live in the country not much city driving at all. Seriously I should be avg around 25. I think I'm going to ask the dealer at my next service stop
Mustanglulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #38

Region: Maryland
Once a week with 87 octane. Averaged 18 mpg around Baltimore City today. I usually get 26-28 mpg driving 52 miles round trip from Bel Air to downtown Baltimore.

Ordered 2/09 | Received VIN 2/13 | Window Sticker 2/19 | Build Date 2/25 / Delivered 3/11
-Airaid CAI/JLT Catch Can, LLumar 20% Tint
RogueWing16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
Road Trip!

Region: California
I get 14.1 miles to the gallon and I fill up two to three times a month .....2013 GT Track Package , CAI , Roush Axle Backs...

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

If you wanted better mpg you should of considered a Prius or Focus lol....
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by seville View Post
Just bought a 2014 3.7 black on black w/perf pkg. I'm loving it so far but the only potentially arising problem is the fact that I pay too much for gas a month.

I drive about 70% city and 30% hwy and average around 20MPG.

I pump gas every 5-7 days (would be good to say once a week)

$55 (93oct) per pump X 5 times a month = $275

So essentially I pay nearly $300 on gas a month. Indeed insane.

1. Are you yall on similiar ballparks?
2. How much do you spend on gas a month?
First, if you don't have a tune, your wasting your money on 93 premium. Use 87octane, get a tune, switch to 93.

Second, why didn't you look at gas mileage first? Everyone wants a "RACE CAR" that gets 100 mpg. Did you really think those numbers about city and highway mileage were really that close.

Like PonyBoy415 said; You should have considered a Prius or Focus.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

First, if you don't have a tune, your wasting your money on 93 premium. Use 87octane, get a tune, switch to 93.

Second, why didn't you look at gas mileage first? Everyone wants a "RACE CAR" that gets 100 mpg. Did you really think those numbers about city and highway mileage were really that close.

Like PonyBoy415 said; You should have considered a Prius or Focus.
BTW your NOT wasting your money using 93 no tune! Do your homework before you give false info! Its a know fact that these engines will make more power with higher octane and no tune! You won't see high gains compared to a tune but the car will advance timing to adjust for the higher octane.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Once a week about 50 bucks. Average 23mpg
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
BTW your NOT wasting your money using 93 no tune! Do your homework before you give false info! Its a know fact that these engines will make more power with higher octane and no tune! You won't see high gains compared to a tune but the car will advance timing to adjust for the higher octane.
Octane recommendations (V6):
Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine):
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.

For Shelby GT500 octane requirements, see the Shelby GT500 Supplement.

DIRECTLY FROM THE FORD MANUALS. SOUNDS LIKE HOMEWORK TO ME!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Yes but with a tune it's all about that 93 race tune.

But what do I know, I'm stock tunes and running 93 with nearly 35 mpg. What do I know a silly book doesn't :p

Getting a tuner in a month through. So excited
Old 09-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Almost 450/month. Travel 80 miles/day for work. Cheaper then the bmw I had before.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:

But what do I know, I'm stock tunes and running 93 with nearly 35 mpg. What do I know a silly book doesn't :p

The original poster just bought a 2014 3.7 Black on Black with the Performance Package.

She stated that she drives about 70% in the city and averages about 20 mpg.

She is looking for a similar setup. I (others?) DOUBT that you are getting 35 mpg on the highway. 22 in the city, yes but not on the other.

You have to heavy of a foot to get that.

For her, until she gets a tune and gets some miles on it, better to stick to the 87octane. Yea, I know, your convinced in your head your getting that high mileage. Lets agree until you can prove it with real numbers and a certified test, it's a "dreamland in you mind".

Been fun, NOT!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:07 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Octane recommendations (V6):
Your vehicle is designed to use “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.

Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine):
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.

For Shelby GT500 octane requirements, see the Shelby GT500 Supplement.

DIRECTLY FROM THE FORD MANUALS. SOUNDS LIKE HOMEWORK TO ME!
Dude really???? Yes our cars are designed to run normally on just 87, but the cars ecu will keep advance timing if it detects higher octane fuel. I do give you props for be able to read a manual though!"Roll eyes" http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...ine-explained/ start with this and I'll pull up the dyno sheet for you. Here you go, you only need to watch the first 5 minutes or so. So what have we concluded today? Around 7hp with premium fuel with the factory tune, surely nothing to write home about, but look at it this way, up here in Canada I'm looking at around 6$ more a tank for premium, I can chose to put 87 in and the car will run just fine as you pointed out in the owners manual, or you can put premium fuel in it from time to time and gain around 7hp, that's about 90¢ for 1 HP. I don't know of any mod that can give that kind of gain for so little do you? Do I run premium fuel all the time.... No but from time to time when I like a little more go I'll put it in. While it won't blow your socks off I would hardly call it a waste!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Without a tune, switching to 93 octane WILL advance timing and may offer some benifits in performance, but its up to the driver as to if the added expense in fuel costs is worth the performance gains you may see when switching to a higher octane without a tune.

If you drive more city than highway, it's doubtful any gains will be noticed switching over to a higher octane. So, paying more for a gallon of gas to net some performance? Only the owner and his/her driving habits can make this conclusion.

Getting a tune? This changes the above statement.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:33 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Without a tune, switching to 93 octane WILL advance timing and may offer some benifits in performance, but its up to the driver as to if the added expense in fuel costs is worth the performance gains you may see when switching to a higher octane without a tune.

If you drive more city than highway, it's doubtful any gains will be noticed switching over to a higher octane. So, paying more for a gallon of gas to net some performance? Only the owner and his/her driving habits can make this conclusion.

Getting a tune? This changes the above statement.
Agreed, getting a tune is the best choice for running premium fuel, but to call it a "waste" is simply not correct! That statement is opinionated and not factual! Just trying to clarify for the other members.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #50
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Agreed, getting a tune is the best choice for running premium fuel, but to call it a "waste" is simply not correct! That statement is opinionated and not factual! Just trying to clarify for our other members.
It really is up to driver habits. I drive 400 to 500 miles of highway driving per week. When I did not have my tune, I tried 93 octane for 4 tankfulls. The gains I "felt" were not worth the added costs I was paying. I switched back to 87, and my wallet at least felt better. I was not hammering the go pedal, so my obsevations with using a higher octane with no tune may not match others.

Now with my MPT 93 tune, its a whole new story! And with the "fun" that tune provides, I still see an honest 23.5 MPG cruising the highway.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

^^^^ Another benefit of running premium fuel!..........I can relate, I get my tuner and CAI tomorrow. Super excited!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It really is up to driver habits. I drive 400 to 500 miles of highway driving per week. When I did not have my tune, I tried 93 octane for 4 tankfulls. The gains I "felt" were not worth the added costs I was paying. I switched back to 87, and my wallet at least felt better. I was not hammering the go pedal, so my obsevations with using a higher octane with no tune may not match others.

Now with my MPT 93 tune, its a whole new story! And with the "fun" that tune provides, I still see an honest 23.5 MPG cruising the highway.
I'm hoping to get the same effect with my bama tunes when I load them up Sunday! Can't wait!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

As many other gas threads go.... Premium helps keep the engine cleaner as well. Therefore protecting your 23-35k investment.

Plus if you're a smoker (I'm not), you can quit by taking that pack money and putting it in your tank
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The original poster just bought a 2014 3.7 Black on Black with the Performance Package.

She stated that she drives about 70% in the city and averages about 20 mpg.

She is looking for a similar setup. I (others?) DOUBT that you are getting 35 mpg on the highway. 22 in the city, yes but not on the other.

You have to heavy of a foot to get that.

For her, until she gets a tune and gets some miles on it, better to stick to the 87octane. Yea, I know, your convinced in your head your getting that high mileage. Lets agree until you can prove it with real numbers and a certified test, it's a "dreamland in you mind".

Been fun, NOT!
Also as stated, I'm not running stock tires. One size below stocks and they are Michelin defenders. Not the bfg radials. These tires are designed to have a lower roll resistance and I don't have to hammer the gas as much to get it to go. It saves me gas around town and highway. PROVIDED I go 65 and use cruise and turn it off going down hills. Now about 70 is a different ball game, the final gear is stretched out (2.73) and I get about 28. Drive like grandma, save like grandma I say!

Are you mad you don't have 93 in your tank lol

My setup is among a few on here that is designed to save money. There is a guy on here who modified his aero and has seen about 40 mpg.

Free flowing exhaust also helps, not chambered as the air will come in and out easier also with an intake and a straight exhaust such as borla, magnaflows comps, pypes, or roush.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueWing16 View Post
Once a week with 87 octane. Averaged 18 mpg around Baltimore City today. I usually get 26-28 mpg driving 52 miles round trip from Bel Air to downtown Baltimore.
You're from the bel air area too?
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
Yep. I have been in Harford County for 15 years now. Once the kids came along, we moved from Abingdon to Bel Air back in '05 for a better school district. I take it you are from the area also.

Ordered 2/09 | Received VIN 2/13 | Window Sticker 2/19 | Build Date 2/25 / Delivered 3/11
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yep. I have been in Harford County for 15 years now. Once the kids came along, we moved from Abingdon to Bel Air back in '05 for a better school district. I take it you are from the area also.
Yep! I'm over in Forest Hill.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #58

Quote:
Quote:
Yep! I'm over in Forest Hill.
Nice. Not that far from me. I live fairly close to the Festival of Bel Air. After I saw your avatar, I thought you might be near Patterson Mill H.S. I often drive by a black Mustang parked in a driveway in the next development over from ours.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice. Not that far from me. I live fairly close to the Festival of Bel Air. After I saw your avatar, I thought you might be near Patterson Mill H.S. I often drive by a black Mustang parked in a driveway in the next development over from ours.
Haha nah I'm over near forest lakes elementary. But I'm in abingdon a lot.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Haha nah I'm over near forest lakes elementary. But I'm in abingdon a lot.
I know that area well. I've done a fair amount of field work for signal modifications along MD 24 from Osbourne Pkwy to Red Pump Rd over the past 15 yrs. One of my first signal rebuild designs was MD 24 at Red Pump Rd back in '97.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know that area well. I've done a fair amount of field work for signal modifications along MD 24 from Osbourne Pkwy to Red Pump Rd over the past 15 yrs. One of my first signal rebuild designs was MD 24 at Red Pump Rd back in '97.
That's cool, I live right in the middle of those roads

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang