First Track Day - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Thumbs down First Track Day

First day at the track with my 2014 3.7. I got intake tune and 3.73 gears and ill tell ya what. I don't know if i just suck real bad (which could be a possibility) or my traction is just preventing me some seeing a decent time lol My times were butt every pass, not even worth talking about but just know its in the 14s. Every time I went to launch. I would always keep it at like 2-2.5 RPMs, When i did that, I spun. If i launched at 1-1.5 RPMs the launch was to weak. Kinda hitting the wall of do i need wheels or am I just inexperienced. Also on one of the passes I was right at the end and I went to shift into 4th and it like locked out, totally rejected the shift, wouldn't let me do it, would that be because I'm already going fast enough or am i missing the gear? Thanks for the advice, novice here.
Butsweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My 2011 5.0 runs 13.3. With 100 less hp, I'd say your time is realistic.
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsweat View Post
First day at the track with my 2014 3.7. I got intake tune and 3.73 gears and ill tell ya what. I don't know if i just suck real bad (which could be a possibility) or my traction is just preventing me some seeing a decent time lol My times were butt every pass, not even worth talking about but just know its in the 14s. Every time I went to launch. I would always keep it at like 2-2.5 RPMs, When i did that, I spun. If i launched at 1-1.5 RPMs the launch was to weak. Kinda hitting the wall of do i need wheels or am I just inexperienced. Also on one of the passes I was right at the end and I went to shift into 4th and it like locked out, totally rejected the shift, wouldn't let me do it, would that be because I'm already going fast enough or am i missing the gear? Thanks for the advice, novice here.
First off get rid of the factory shifter bracket, it totally sucks and will keep locking you out when shifting quick! It was one of the first mods I did and makes a world of difference! No more lock-outs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
First you need a MGW that will prevent the missed shift. And you will learn to feather the clutch. If you just drop it, it's gonna spin especially on stock tires. Without traction, you will never get a decent time in
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

woooord, where do i find this new shift mod? This sound very accurate to what i was experiencing. 14s are not realistic for a 3.7. A novice driver like myself would roll that. Automatics run 13.7-3.8 stock i've seen a couple, I think if i drove correctly 13.5-13.6 isnt that much of wishful thinking with whats done.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post
My 2011 5.0 runs 13.3. With 100 less hp, I'd say your time is realistic.
He should be in the high 13s with those mods. You should be in the high 12s. But it is mainly driver skill and tire grip that is needed to achieve those times

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote:
woooord, where do i find this new shift mod? This sound very accurate to what i was experiencing. 14s are not realistic for a 3.7. A novice driver like myself would roll that. Automatics run 13.7-3.8 stock i've seen a couple, I think if i drove correctly 13.5-13.6 isnt that much of wishful thinking with whats done.
MGW shifter

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml
Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

big props bro, looks like Tires and MGW are gunna have to come first before the headers/Xpipe and TB, but i guess itll be well worth it
Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you are really worried about the track, work on putting power to the ground before anything else. Those 3.73s are going to make you spin a lot more on stock tires. I got my MGW, tuner, and o/r exhaust before i got my 285s in the rear (back when i had stock 245 all season tires)... I should have done those new wheels and tires first. They make such a different in traction and acceleration because i no longer spin all the way through 2nd.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If you are really worried about the track, work on putting power to the ground before anything else. Those 3.73s are going to make you spin a lot more on stock tires. I got my MGW, tuner, and o/r exhaust before i got my 285s in the rear (back when i had stock 245 all season tires)... I should have done those new wheels and tires first. They make such a different in traction and acceleration because i no longer spin all the way through 2nd.
I know this off topic but I spun my 285s all the way into fourth on Monday I was like damn my tires are cold lol
Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I know this off topic but I spun my 285s all the way into fourth on Monday I was like damn my tires are cold lol
Yea, but you have 174 more horsepower than me, and you have 3.73s right? I only have 3.27s.

HID end all thread
Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yea, but you have 174 more horsepower than me, and you have 3.73s right? I only have 3.27s.
))))))))))

Yea I have 3.73s and my tires were semi cold. I even tried to "warm" them up first. Then it was a slip n slide until I let off in forth.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
))))))))))

Yea I have 3.73s and my tires were semi cold. I even tried to "warm" them up first. Then it was a slip n slide until I let off in forth.
I guess i need more power now.

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang