Long Term Plans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Long Term Plans

Going over my build list and long term plans for my 2011 V6 and I'd like a few opinions.

First off I want to set it up for road courses rather than dragging, but I've already made a huge error (automatic transmission ) .

That aside I've been considering induction, whether through a supercharger or turbo. Personally I think a turbo would fit my needs better than a supercharger due to how the turbo spools and the supercharger getting it's full boost at high RPM.

Ideally I want a twin-turbo system for minimal lag and efficient spool. But I've never turbo'd a car so I'm wondering what all I need to get prepped in the car before dropping a system like Hellion's in (single turbo first).

The kit comes with 67mm Turbo, 80lb injectors, Precision Wastegate, handheld programmer with base tune installed, and all the required parts and hardware. Currently I'm planning on the following: CAI is done, shorty ceramic coated headers, shorty OFR X pipe, catback upgrade for an overall better breathing car.

Along with that driveshaft upgrade (all V6s owners know how dangerous the stock one is) , performance radiator and electric fan upgrade, SVT rear end (comes with 3.73 gears).

Obviously this isn't all I want to do, but it's what I want to get done before dropping 6.3k on the turbo kit. Any suggestions, ideas?
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Sell the cai, shorties and x pipe...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
It's gonna get said so I'll be the first. Why not just get a manual 5.0? For the money you are going to spend I would just upgrade. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier, of course I did skip up a notch to the boss but the 5.0 is bounds better than the 3.7 auto
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
It's gonna get said so I'll be the first. Why not just get a manual 5.0? For the money you are going to spend I would just upgrade. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier, of course I did skip up a notch to the boss but the 5.0 is bounds better than the 3.7 auto
I like the 5.0 , and yes I made a huge mistake getting the automatic but I like the balance of the V6. The 5.0 felt....sketchy in corners and a bit wobbly. Definitely fixable with suspension upgrades but the V6 feels much better to me overall. And I cant afford a Boss
Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post

And I cant afford a Boss
That's what I said before I signed the papers you have to work the salesman and not let them work you. And you guys can call me a lier all you want but I bought my boss for $3k less than the dealer paid for it I saw the invoice
Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's what I said before I signed the papers you have to work the salesman and not let them work you. And you guys can call me a lier all you want but I bought my boss for $3k less than the dealer paid for it I saw the invoice
I believe it but being 22, I cant really negotiate with the insurance Nazis lol
Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe it but being 22, I cant really negotiate with the insurance Nazis lol
True story → when I traded my '11 3.7 for my '12 Boss my insurance went down $.97 a month :p

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Im 26 BTW
Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True story → when I traded my '11 3.7 for my '12 Boss my insurance went down $.97 a month :p

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Im 26 BTW
I have no idea how you pulled that off. Seems like an error on the Insurance company, but I'd be damned if I let them know. Just like mine dropped 70 bucks a month for some reason, why? I have no idea but I'm not about to complain.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have no idea how you pulled that off. Seems like an error on the Insurance company, but I'd be damned if I let them know. Just like mine dropped 70 bucks a month for some reason, why? I have no idea but I'm not about to complain.
Lol I asked him to double check and he was like buy the damn car and I will handle the insurance. My agent is the sh1t. This is my third insurance company and this is the only one that I feel actually cares about their customers. It's a real personal relationship unlike the big chain insurance companies. I have had bad experiences with progressive and GEICO and I am now happily with ALFA. I most likely will not change again.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yeah I would definitely sell it and go for the 5.0. I know this isn't exactly the answer you're looking for, but I too was once in your shoes; albeit, with a different car. I was 18 when I bought my 99 v6 mustang. I bought it because it was cheaper than the 4.6 Gt mustang and insurance was a little less as well, but then I started wanting to race and drive fast just like you did. I wasted enough money before it became clear that it would be far easier and cheaper in the long run to just get a bigger displacement engine and go from there. I never looked back. The rise in insurance and slight price difference are way less than the money you will dish out trying to get more performance out of hour car and disappointment you will have at every turn when you realize that it still won't cut it. I just got my 5.0 a few days ago and I got a sick deal for it too. I'm not sure how they made any money off of it. I'm 24 years old btw.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
You're going to lose top end boosted and 3.73's for road course racing. Unless they are all short tracks with no long straights. You're going to make lots of power anyway. May want to look at 3.55's.

If I were in your position today...
Keep what you have.
Upgrade suspension, tires and rear-gears
Start racing

As you get more comfortable (can be read as, "faster"):
Boost the car, sell the parts that are not longer needed (lowflyn said it)
Race more

Get a good adjustable suspension. Once your driving is up to snuff, set up will matter more and more on track days.

-OR-

You COULD trade and get a 5 speed 5.0, run the numbers and see what works for you. At 22, it may not be favorable. 26 vs 22 in the insurance world, really affects your pricing. The problem starts to go away as you get older with a good driving record. But you could do a lot of racing in that V6 between now and then.

Just my $.02
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Ain't nothing wrong with auto-Xing wit the automatic

I used to autocross and I had the automatic in my Corvette. It worked great and I'm sure you can auto-X with a V6 Mustang Automatic with no problems at all other then getting used to what you need to do to use it properly.

Tires such as Nitto NT01. 18 inch all around.
Lightweight Steeda Pentar wheels.
Suspension upgrade modification. ( Do some research )

Run a few Auto-X days and then you will know what you really need to do as far as rear end ratio's or if you will want a tuner. The 3.7 V6 is a nice light engine for Motor-X type performance and the Automatic is not about to really slow down your times when you learn how to use it properly. My Corvette had the 273 rear and I just put it in drive. It never went to third gear and always just used first & second. I have not run my Mustang in any type of performance trials so I can't guide you on what to buy but I know a supercharger or turbo charger is not going to be needed for Auto-Xing unless you have money to really waste.

Have fun and talk to other Mustang owners at the events about what they are using before you spend a ton of $$$ that you really don't have to.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Sell the cai, shorties and x pipe...
Why in gods name wouod he sell the shorty headers? That's what they are really for. Turbo applications love better exhaust manifolds than stock and they weigh much less and better free flowing.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

Why in gods name wouod he sell the shorty headers? That's what they are really for. Turbo applications love better exhaust manifolds than stock and they weigh much less and better free flowing.
Needs to make sure what manifolds the kit requires or comes with...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

Needs to make sure what manifolds the kit requires or comes with...
That kit requires stock manifolds aka shorty headers so the bbk ceramics wouod gain him more power almost 20 if tuned over stock manifolds
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang