new Shifter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
new Shifter

ive been taking my car to the track and im tried of the stock shifter locking up at high rpm so i was thinking of getting a Barton Industries Short Shifter and Bracket what do yall think?
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
amazing shifter .... i love it !!! i have it its amazing its short af it is extremely precise i havent missed a gear .. only thing to remember is if yours is a 2013 you have to do a lil modding to the shifter so you retain the reverse lock out function but its an amazing shifter !!!!
dozer 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This turned into a pretty good debate a couple of months ago and everyone was saying good things about the MGW shifter. Black on boss actually took his V6 to their shop for instal and swears by them. It depends on if you want now or are willing to wait up to a month for MGW to fab one for you.
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
ive been taking my car to the track and im tried of the stock shifter locking up at high rpm so i was thinking of getting a Barton Industries Short Shifter and Bracket what do yall think?
Barton is a great product. I don't have their shifter but I have their v1 bracket. Best investment ever!! I do have a short shifter I just forgot what brand it is already. Lol. But it works great as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer 13 View Post
amazing shifter .... i love it !!! i have it its amazing its short af it is extremely precise i havent missed a gear .. only thing to remember is if yours is a 2013 you have to do a lil modding to the shifter so you retain the reverse lock out function but its an amazing shifter !!!!
What makes the 2013 shifter differ from the 2012s??
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The barton shifter and 2post bracket is the great BUT thats if ur not willing to spend the big bucks for the good sh*t. Im talking about the MGW shifter. That is the BEST!!! but unless ur willing to shell out 390 then go with the barton and bracket.

The MGW is the best because it doesnt just change the upper shifter assembly it changes the lower assembly as well. So its like getting a new tranny hahaha
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
The barton shifter and 2post bracket is the great BUT thats if ur not willing to spend the big bucks for the good sh*t. Im talking about the MGW shifter. That is the BEST!!! but unless ur willing to shell out 390 then go with the barton and bracket.

The MGW is the best because it doesnt just change the upper shifter assembly it changes the lower assembly as well. So its like getting a new tranny hahaha
I thought that was the only one out there I'm looking to get the best one
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post

I thought that was the only one out there I'm looking to get the best one

search 'SVT performance MGW' via the Internet and tell me what you think afterwards
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #8

Quote:

Lol you're talking about a difference of $20 here between the Barton w/ 2 post and the MGW, I wouldn't say that's really "spending the big bucks for the good sh*t". The Barton is $369.99 for the 2-post combo, MGW is $390.
zbrewha863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrewha863 View Post

Lol you're talking about a difference of $20 here between the Barton w/ 2 post and the MGW, I wouldn't say that's really "spending the big bucks for the good sh*t". The Barton is $369.99 for the 2-post combo, MGW is $390.
Ummm what about the discount on AM and you dont get a bracket for the mgw? U can still buy it and make it even better! Soooo its still a big difference if u wanna go balls out. If I had the cash id go with mgw and the bracket and god damn it woyld be smoooth sailing for me
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

MGW has been nothing short of superb for me in every aspect
Mustang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Ummm what about the discount on AM and you dont get a bracket for the mgw? U can still buy it and make it even better! Soooo its still a big difference if u wanna go balls out. If I had the cash id go with mgw and the bracket and god damn it woyld be smoooth sailing for me
You do get a bracket with the MGW, they just consider it part of the shifter since they replace the whole assembly. If you buy one you will see.
zbrewha863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I recently purchased an MGW shifter and it is SOLID. Really short throws and firm shifts. Although my GT is an 03 I don't see why the shifters for the newer stangs wouldn't be just as good. Can't speak for Barton since I haven't tried one but if you decide MGW you will not be dissapointed!
SonicBlueRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueRider View Post
I recently purchased an MGW shifter and it is SOLID. Really short throws and firm shifts. Although my GT is an 03 I don't see why the shifters for the newer stangs wouldn't be just as good. Can't speak for Barton since I haven't tried one but if you decide MGW you will not be dissapointed!
Question where did u go to purchase your mgw I was thinking about getting one for my 04 gt
JayStang718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStang718 View Post

Question where did u go to purchase your mgw I was thinking about getting one for my 04 gt
I got it through MGW's site. I don't think its available anywhere else.
SonicBlueRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueRider View Post

I got it through MGW's site. I don't think its available anywhere else.
That sale them direct. I have seen them on the svtperformance sight but that should reflect the direct MgW purchase - I think that SVT Is now a supporter of MgW. Other sights will attempt to charge you more and you do not know which upgraded version you are getting. Plus I MGW may not cover it. Be safe and order direct from MgW no matter how appealing the offer is.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
Road Trip!

I just got my MGW in the mail today having it installed tommorrow , can't wait to feel the difference from OEM...
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

What are everyone's thoughts on replacing just the bracket? Is that enough of an improvement in shift smoothness on its own, or is it more of a tide-you-over-until-you-get-a-full-assembly kind of thing?
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy415 View Post
I just got my MGW in the mail today having it installed tommorrow , can't wait to feel the difference from OEM...
Great! Let me know how it goes.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on replacing just the bracket? Is that enough of an improvement in shift smoothness on its own, or is it more of a tide-you-over-until-you-get-a-full-assembly kind of thing?
I heard only one guy say that he was in love with the baron set up....then he admitted that his mustang was not a MT-82 trans variant. I never had anything else than the MGW that is Due in.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcanno167 View Post

Great! Let me know how it goes.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

I heard only one guy say that he was in love with the baron set up....then he admitted that his mustang was not a MT-82 trans variant. I never had anything else than the MGW that is Due in.
The shifter is in and it feels great , nice tight short crisp shifts......first gear is a bit of a PITA feels like ur in then it grinds when u let the clutch out hope this is some kind of breaks in issue....
Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The shifter is in and it feels great , nice tight short crisp shifts......first gear is a bit of a PITA feels like ur in then it grinds when u let the clutch out hope this is some kind of breaks in issue....
I think there is a feature that you can adjust. Something called a lock out adjustment I believe. It is a screw that separates the distance from the reverse gear for smoother shifts. On the older MGW versions, it was not adjustable. Now it is. You have to look at the complete video if you have Not already done so. Hope I said all correctly. Let me know if this works.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:

I think there is a feature that you can adjust. Something called a lock out adjustment I believe. It is a screw that separates the distance from the reverse gear for smoother shifts. On the older MGW versions, it was not adjustable. Now it is. You have to look at the complete video if you have Not already done so. Hope I said all correctly. Let me know if this works.
Not sure how that would help first gear out....where is the adjustment screw ??
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Okay so after google help the screw comes fully turned to ten turns and mgw recommended six for street use...I guess I have to get the car up and take off the heat shield to access it....
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay so after google help the screw comes fully turned to ten turns and mgw recommended six for street use...I guess I have to get the car up and take off the heat shield to access it....
No...

1. I thought that it comes at six already...I must have misread.

2. The adjustment is in the top area. All you have to do is take off the knob, console, and boot to get to the screw set as I recall. That should be In the instructions too. Google search 'MGW reviews'. Then select the one that says 'svtperformance review'. With in that article, you should see the most updated video for MGW installation.

Let me know what you think.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:

No...

1. I thought that it comes at six already...I must have misread.

2. The adjustment is in the top area. All you have to do is take off the knob, console, and boot to get to the screw set as I recall. That should be In the instructions too. Google search 'MGW reviews'. Then select the one that says 'svtperformance review'. With in that article, you should see the most updated video for MGW installation.

Let me know what you think.
Okay I'll check it out
Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not sure how that would help first gear out....where is the adjustment screw ??
I also did not think that it should work but I found a guy that had a similar problem in a forum. Modifying that fixed the problem. if you look at the black blocking the left of the shifter, the screw should is separating or closing the distance between your reverse gear based on the drivers preference.

I have not looked at that video since a week ago and am surprised that I remember as much as I (think) I do without looking at it again.
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Okay I see it now , it's under the dust boot cover , gotta peel that back and adjust the screw...
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay I see it now , it's under the dust boot cover , gotta peel that back and adjust the screw...
Yep. Mine will be in tomorrow. May attempt to install as soon as it gets in. How many hours did it take you?
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
Road Trip!

I took it the mechanic ...didn't want to botch it up lol
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I took it the mechanic ...didn't want to botch it up lol
Vehicle is lifted : MGW installation time start now!
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
Old 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:

Vehicle is lifted : MGW installation time start now!
Good luck on the install...
Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #31
Road Trip!

I had to go buy a jack (since the mustang doesnt come with one )to put the car up in the air and crawl underneath cause the mechanic didn't bend the tab on the heat shield my linkage was getting caught when going into first .....now for a little test drive....
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
I had to go buy a jack (since the mustang doesnt come with one )to put the car up in the air and crawl underneath cause the mechanic didn't bend the tab on the heat shield my linkage was getting caught when going into first .....now for a little test drive....
Their isnt a jack under the spare?
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Who has a spare? My 12 didn't come with one, just some kind of compressor that puts fix a flat or something in the tire.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What are you guys talking about? No spare????? Call your dealer! Wtf?!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

If I remember right it is even in the manual saying your new 2012 mustang does not have a spare but this air compressor thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang