"Lower rear only" options? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
"Lower rear only" options?

I'm looking for a 1/2" to 1" drop in the rear only to level the car. I'm thinking the big n little setup might be too much rake and I'd like a stock rate lowering spring for the back. If no stock rate, something close. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Is the nose of the mustang higher than the rear? If so, How? The only way the front would be higher than the rear was if you or a previous owner installed a set of V8 spring (struts) in your V6.

Some folks have done this thinking it will make the V6 handle better, but it's the wrong thing to do.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Is the nose of the mustang higher than the rear? If so, How? The only way the front would be higher than the rear was if you or a previous owner installed a set of V8 spring (struts) in your V6.

Some folks have done this thinking it will make the V6 handle better, but it's the wrong thing to do.
I'm the original owner. Stock, the rear is higher than the front. When I have 28" tall DR's in the back and 25.5" tires up front, that's a fair amount of rake so I'm interested in lowering the rear only a small amount. No more than 3/4" really out back so when the DR's are not on there and running the stock 27.2" tires...it'll be level in that situation. I don't want the front to be higher with the stock tires on all four corners.

It's the best compromise between running the drag wheels on 4 corners and stock tires on all 4 corners.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Sorry, I read your post completely wrong!

Don't know why I thought the nose was higher than the rear, and why I figured you needed to lower the rear even more!

Wow, I'm out of it today.

What about an air bladder type system for the rear (in the old days, these were air shocks). This way you could lower/raise the rear by the amount of air pressure supplied to the bladders.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
BMR sells front or rear only kits.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=181

But it's more like 1.25"
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Region: Texas
I have a 2014 and installed the Route 66 brand 55D springs to get a drop of 1/2 inch, with only a 14 pound increase in spring rate. The car feels just like stock, however, I think the drop was only 1/4 inch, rather than the 1/2 inch as advertised. Other reviewers of this spring all had positive comments about them.
Last Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Perf. View Post
I'm looking for a 1/2" to 1" drop in the rear only to level the car. I'm thinking the big n little setup might be too much rake and I'd like a stock rate lowering spring for the back. If no stock rate, something close. Thanks
It's a fairly easy process to lower the whole car so why not do that? You get better performance, looks, and the leveled stance you want and the DR's will easily fit under a set of pro-kit springs I would think
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Because my front end would rip off going into my driveway. Also, I just don't want the car lower. Now, the rear...I'll consider that. If I use a whole kit....I'll end up right back where I was but lower. I need to lower the rear only to offset the rake of 28" tires out back and 25.5" tires up front. See what I'm talking about?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Perf. View Post
Because my front end would rip off going into my driveway. Also, I just don't want the car lower. Now, the rear...I'll consider that. If I use a whole kit....I'll end up right back where I was but lower. I need to lower the rear only to offset the rake of 28" tires out back and 25.5" tires up front. See what I'm talking about?
I know exactly what your talking about. I've seen 4-5 GT's in person that were lowered on bigs & littles and looked great but I understand why you wouldn't want that for your drive way. Springs are relatively inexpensive so I would just find the drop you wanted and buy all 4 then if one day you want to lower all the way around you can. Also incase we had a misunderstanding lower springs for most mustangs lower the back more than the front to give that leveled out look so that's why I mentioned just lowering all the way around.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I forgot I posted this. Got sidetracked.

I'm revisiting this topic and from what I've found it looks like these roush springs, 401295, lower up to an inch. The only other spring I've seen mentioned or found so far that are 1" or under lower for the rear only are the Route 66 55D springs.

Anyone have any feedback on your experience with these on a 2011 up? Is the handling still normal? I don't road race or hit curves hard but I do want it to feel close to stock and behave predictably for the way I drive. The cars mainly for street and hwy commuting/strip.

Thanks for any more info and reviews.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

I put my Eibach Pro Kit springs on the rear first, then measured it. I think it was only 1/2" lower in the rear than the front. The springs would settle a little more after driving, but I think it'd be perfect for a big/little setup like you are wanting.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #12

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense. View Post
Well, I forgot I posted this. Got sidetracked.

I'm revisiting this topic and from what I've found it looks like these roush springs, 401295, lower up to an inch. The only other spring I've seen mentioned or found so far that are 1" or under lower for the rear only are the Route 66 55D springs.

Anyone have any feedback on your experience with these on a 2011 up? Is the handling still normal? I don't road race or hit curves hard but I do want it to feel close to stock and behave predictably for the way I drive. The cars mainly for street and hwy commuting/strip.

Thanks for any more info and reviews.
I was thinking of the Roush 401295 springs for a rear-only lowering. Did you get them?
12Brembo50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang