Air Raid CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Air Raid CAI

Well folks I started the thread about Standard Intake vs CIA and had lots of conflicting opinions. NOW I have ordered an Air Raid with non-oiled filter, feeling that oil in the intake is not really wise and wanted to use the front air inlet like the stock unit. My main reason is two fold. One the noise factor - would like some. The other is power. My 2013 v6 is stock and would not even squeak off the line. That`s with traction control off, trans in sport mode, brake on, floored throttle and sudden release. Hopefully the CIA will show improvements. Although, I may yet go with a tuner.

Are all stock v6's like this? Although I am very pleased with the acceleration the total lack of wheel spins seems odd for a 300 HP car.
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

CAI alone won't help, start with a tune and gears that should fix your problem. : )
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Wheel spin

I agree with you ^^. However, you would think a chirp would at least be possible. Tune, yes that is something for later - but gears are not an option as I still want good gas mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The car has an LSD that's what causes no wheel spin. With some mods you can get the tires smoking from a launch.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Impact View Post
I agree with you ^^. However, you would think a chirp would at least be possible. Tune, yes that is something for later - but gears are not an option as I still want good gas mileage.
do you have 2.73 or 3.31?
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Not quite an hour ago I just finished installing an Airaid CAI. I knew it wouldn't improve power, but it does look and sound nicer than the stock box. I also did a BAMA tune which really seemed to improve the throttle response. I also received a set of 3.73s that go in next week. All this said, I never had any problem getting chirps from a standstill. If I stood on the brake and stomped it at the same time they would really break loose and smoke them up. I think the OP just isn't trying hard enough.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
2013 tunes won't allow this. It's in the tune. A few have wondered why you can't do a burnout in the 2013 and this is also the same principle to the launches. My 12 will squat and chirp of the line at half throttle on a dead stop.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My 13 will spin them into 3rd if I try hard, manual trans sure helps though
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
2013 auto. I can get mine to chirp off the line. I gotta hold the brake down and hold the trac button till it completley turns off
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
2013 auto. I can get mine to chirp off the line. I gotta hold the brake down and hold the trac button till it completley turns off
My 11 V6 will chirp 2nd and 3rd gear doing 70 mph but I do have a MPT tune along with other bolt on mods.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres
My 13 will spin them into 3rd if I try hard, manual trans sure helps though
+1 , stock i could chirp 3rd easily.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
The car has an LSD that's what causes no wheel spin. With some mods you can get the tires smoking from a launch.
What is LSD, I only know that in another context but not in an automotive one?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmfao! Ahhh good times. Lol LSD in automotive terms is limited slip differential.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

Limited Slip Differential, also known as Posi-Traction for GM, Sure-Grip for Chrysler. When one drive wheel slips, power is applied to the opposite wheel. It switches back and forth so fast you don't notice it happening. That's why you leave two skid marks vs one with an open differential. With an open differential, power will switch back and forth, but instead of switching from the wheel that is slipping to the one that has traction, it does the complete opposite. It switches from the one with the most traction to the one with the least resistance. That's why it is so easy to get stuck in snow with an open differential. One tire could be on dry pavement, but the one stuck in the snow will just sit and spin.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #15

Hi - I'm new here. Have a 2013 V6 auto Grabber Blue. Just reading some of the threads to see what direction I may take mine. Reading the above thread on LSD reminded me of the Mona Lisa Vito testimony given in My Cousin Vinny. Gave me a chuckle. Thanks!
GB2013nSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
As to the oil issue getting into the intake, and/or fouling the MAF sensor, this is a myth, UNLESS the owner does not follow directions when it comes time to cleaning and re-oiling the filter. They put way too much oil onto the filter. The directions for cleaning and re-oiling are simple to follow.

Anyone reading this post, don't be shy in using a re-useable filter. Just follow directions.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Air Raid CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post

From what I understand, this is what you must do running stock gears (2.73). Pressing the traction control off turns off the traction control but pressing it down for (about) 5 seconds also turns off stability control, two totally different systems that are incorrectly used interchangeably.
ageless1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai