Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Turbo?

5K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  elkoritaNAY 
#1 ·
What should i get for my 2013 v6 mustang. what should i get for under the hood?

#3 ·
Agreed.

OP, we need some more specifics on what you're asking. Since you labeled the thread "turbo?" are you asking what brand/size turbo is best? Or are you asking what power mods you should get?

#5 ·
I would trade your 13 V6 in for a GT. I'm not sure how much it'll cost you but I'm guessing probably $8000 or so.

By doing that you will ad 106-114HP stock. That's without about an additional $2000 parts to add an additional 50HP or so.

I got a 2013 GT with CAI, exhaust, straight pipe, and BAMA tune and I'm running right about 410HP - 420HP at the wheels. That's about 470-480HP factoring about 15% tranny loss.

Then if you do a turbo/supercharger you could be putting 600HP at the wheels (690SAE HP).

Even without the turbo you got the power of a V6 turbo charged.

#9 ·
Next time you buy, have a better plan in place as to what you expect performance wise from your purchase.

You quickly found out that adding a turbo to your V6 will improve performance, but at a price. If your mechanically inclined, you can save on the labor of installation. But getting a turbo or supercharger are the two most costly performance improvements for this V6.

Most likely at a cost that would have placed the V8 at a wiser choice. Most folks buy the V6 for it's mileage and performance, and add smaller cost improvements to increase the power, such as a tuner and exhaust.

Now that you have bought, you'd loose quite a bit if you were to sell and buy a GT. I'd have fun with the V6, and save up for the next purchase, unless you have a few thousand left over for that turbo mod.

#10 ·
6k for the turbo. Oh heck no. Just mod the car with bolt ons and enjoy. Our V6 can roll with bolt ons and performance tune. By the time one buys the turbo , one could of purchased the GT for similar price.

The real great deal is buying a 5.0 for 30k add supercharger for another 6k and you got 600 HP. All for 36k. Add some bolt on mods and your close to 650 HP all for under 40k.

#14 ·
OMG always the V8 guys have to chime in with "buy a GT instead of modding a V6!" It's getting old. If you don't believe in modding a V6, why would you troll the V6 forum?

While we're at it, why buy a GT and supercharge it when you could just buy a GT500? Why modify the suspension when you could just buy a Boss? Why mod a GT500 when you could just buy a SuperSnake? It just goes on and on.

Just let people be happy with what they have and with what they want to do. If he wants to turbo it, great. For $22k + $5k for the turbo, so $27k total, he's at 400-450whp, blowing away stock GTs. There is a turbo'd V6 running 10s right now if I'm not mistaken, so you can go just about as crazy as you want. Yeah it won't be a V8 and have the same sound, but he'll also have a lower payment, better fuel economy, and something unique.

/rant

#16 ·
OMG always the V8 guys have to chime in with "buy a GT instead of modding a V6!" It's getting old. If you don't believe in modding a V6, why would you troll the V6 forum?

While we're at it, why buy a GT and supercharge it when you could just buy a GT500? Why modify the suspension when you could just buy a Boss? Why mod a GT500 when you could just buy a SuperSnake? It just goes on and on.

Just let people be happy with what they have and with what they want to do. If he wants to turbo it, great. For $22k + $5k for the turbo, so $27k total, he's at 400-450whp, blowing away stock GTs. There is a turbo'd V6 running 10s right now if I'm not mistaken, so you can go just about as crazy as you want. Yeah it won't be a V8 and have the same sound, but he'll also have a lower payment, better fuel economy, and something unique.

/rant
Agreed I wish people would answer the question instead of shooting someone's idea Down

#19 ·
Since we're ranting away... Game Theory on Warranty

Game Theory would dictate that the best time to do upgrades and mods would be during warranty period because:

1.) Car and parts are new so (barring the law of the lemon) it would provide a more stable framework to build upon than if it had 40,000 miles or whatever.

2.) In order to really take advantage of your warranty, you would really have to have a lemon, or have to rag out your car thus causing things to prematurely break, neither of which would result in a good baseline car to build upon especially turbocharging once the warranty was out.

3.) By waiting on warranty expiration, you would be "forced" to drive stock for 3 yrs or 36,000 miles. Thus causing loss of joy of driving the car that you want built the way you want it.

4.) Lets just for arguments sakes say that turbocharging a car gives the car an average of 30,000 miles before something major breaks (my last car with a T04E turbo ran for 40,000 miles before the tranny blew up and shot holes the size of golf balls in the housing. Turbo'd at 25k). But that 30,000 miles is inversely affected by the mileage at the time of turbocharging. So at 0miles you have 40,000 useable miles, at 10,000 miles you have 35,000 useable miles, and at 20,000 miles you have 25,000 miles. At 30,000 miles, you may have 15,000 miles before something breaks.

If you don't rag out the car to the limit everyday or race it day in day out, the car may last lot longer than 40,000 miles.

My car's warranty was out the window at 2k miles. It's got 22k now and I've loved driving it every single day since 2k miles =)

If something breaks... price of popcorn and soda after the movie ticket was bought. Movie's fun without them but its better with them (for some like me)... Fk *knock on wood* :lol:

#24 ·
When someone posts a question asking if they should get a turbo for their Mustang, and in this case a V6, all answers pertaining to upgrading to a GT can be considered valid. For the record, I drive, and am very happy with my V6. However, installing a turbo that may set me back 5 to6 K dollars is not feasible to me. Investing that money towards a V8 and adding goodies to that might be. That's my opinion, which was what the OP was asking for; opinions.

So lets consider all opinions and not refer to them as trolling.

#28 ·
We all Know Charlie is a rich Texas oil Baron

He did say"
:
He could just go ham and buy a 5.0 and keep the 3.7 like me. Im also a full time student im just blessed
Ha ! Ha !

Ronnie

#29 ·
Nice oiless turbos. Amazing what new shiit comes out now. I hear oiless turbos need to be serviced by having the bearings all changed out or greased packed in again every 40-50,000.

Probably best anyway that way you can have the turbo serviced and returned like new! =)

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Damnit OP... now you make me want a turbo...

#30 ·
Nice oiless turbos. Amazing what new shiit comes out now. I hear oiless turbos need to be serviced by having the bearings all changed out or greased packed in again every 40-50,000.

Probably best anyway that way you can have the turbo serviced and returned like new! =)

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Damnit OP... now you make me want a turbo...
And that's another thing. Going forced induction is now safer and reliable. Used to, a turbo or such shortened the life of the engine to a mere 50-75000 miles. Crazy how reliable they have become

#32 ·
if this forum is still alive, i would honestly go with a kit from limitless performance and fabrication if you still haven't decided on a kit. 1320Video has done a few videos covering the LPF turbo V6 and it does works. 67mm turbo, capable of over 700hp on stock everything. In a few years I will be getting this kit, as well as getting custom internals from super six motorsports. Let me know what all you've done!

#33 ·
1- Massive thread necro

2- From LPF are you freaking kidding me??

Holy **** dude do some research before you post telling people to deal with a company that literally has stolen tens of $thousands of dollars from customers recently.

#37 ·
They have taken orders... and no product. Lots of "customers" out $6k+ with nothing to show for it. Do some research.

For a Cyclone Turbo the best current option is JMP.

But you will be into the car way more $$$ than just selling and buying a Coyote as was already stated years ago in this thread.

#39 ·
dude i realize that. Buying a Coyote is the more logical thing to do. But I do not have the money for that. that's something V8 owners don't seem to understand. I do not have the money to pay for a V8. I'm only in high school. My car was given to me, for starters. I'm fine with a V6 for now. Later in life I want a V8 but I just can't afford it right now man.

#45 ·
Yah v8 people don't understand that, putting a 6k turbo kit and calling it a day is easier than trading your car and purchasing a v8 because you will be out way more money than that. Don't pay any attention to that but the twin turbo kit from Jm performance looks promising.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

#41 ·
If you can't afford a Coyote you can't afford to Turbo a V6. Not correctly anyway.

#43 ·
Why not? Take good care of it, get enjoyment out of it and trade it in in 2-4 years and get what you really want.

#44 ·
because it's got sentimental value in it. I don't want to just have it for a couple years then trade it in. I'm trying to hold on to it for as long as possible. I'll hopefully reach a point where I can just have the V6 and also afford a V8. idk i'm only 18 i've got a **** ton of life left to do what I want/need so i'll just see what happens.

#46 · (Edited)
#47 ·
#50 ·
a

Same here but using a 1/4 mile calculator estimated about an 11.7 with 456 rwhp and that's with 3700lbs including driver. So it should be somewhere around that area. And they were able to squeeze out 550 whp on e85 which should put you exactly at 11 seconds. Now of course this isn't calculated with suspension, tire compound, etc. But this time is just the potential that a car with that whp output with that weight can possibly run in the 1/4 mile with the right set up.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

#51 ·
From my understanding a supercharger will make ur car faster on lower rpm's like 0-60 and a turbo will make it faster higher up.

I guess it all depends on what you ultimately want for ur car. For me for example I want my car to accelerate fast and don't care about top speed.

I just got my car and added a tuner for now and it has helped my mod craving for awhile. Although, I am ultimately wanting to supercharge mine for fun.

I don't care how much it costs or how cost effective it is. I love my car and I can spend/buy whatever I want for it. You should do the same. Do what makes you happy.

Anyway, good luck on what you ultimately decide!

2013 Mustang V6 Premium

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.