New to me 2013 Vert- Venting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
New to me 2013 Vert- Venting

I just bought a 2013 convertible V6 Premium with manual transmission and 14000 miles on it. Carfax is clean as is dealer service records. I bought it over the internet from and out of state Ford dealer and had it trucked to me. I received it Thursday morning at 7 about 4 miles from my house. I started it in the parking lot and walked around it and noticed one of the tailights was not lighting - not the whole thing, just the furthest right light.

I got in it to drive it the +/- 4 miles home and realized I had weird electrical stuff happening. The center stack (all radio and AC stuff) was flashing on and off like a Christmas tree. The bell was ringing and the message center kept flashing low tires and doors open, etc (none were). Also all the warning lights on the dash were flashing on and off. It drove ok, nevertheless. While on the way home I dialed the owner of the Ford Dealership I bought it from. He assured me that he drove it about 30 miles in the last two days and it was perfect. He also said - just take it to the local dealer and whatever it is - it will be fixed under warranty.

I got to my house and parked it in the garage and called the local dealer to make an appointment for 2:00 on the same day. I then went to meetings I had scheduled until about 1:30. I went home to pick up the car to take it to the dealer. It behaved perfectly for the 8 or so miles to the dealer. I got it there and they didn't take it in because it was fine at the time. I also told the service writer about the tail light. They looked at it and noticed it had condensation in it so they ordered a replacement under warranty. Friday (the next day) they left me a message that the light was in.

I drove it about 100 miles between Thursday and Friday and it behaved perfectly.

Saturday morning I drove the car to home depot. It was fine going there. I got in to drive to the grocery store (about 5 miles away) and the electronics freaked out again. I turned it off and waited about 10 minutes then restarted it and it was fine. I drove to the grocery store and then back to the dealer (about 10 miles). This time they took it in and gave it a good once over. They found a leaking pinion seal and a bad bushing on the sway bar (I heard a clunk in the rear over bumps). They changed the tail light while it was there. Fortunately, the electronics acted up briefly for them so they ordered a new body control module. They think this will fix the electrical gremlins. Again, I drove it the rest of Saturday and it seemed fine.

Today I woke up and had to run an errand. Sure enough it acted up again so I pulled off the road, turned it off, waited 30 seconds or so and started it back up and it was fine all day. On the way home from dinner tonight everything seemed great and then, about 3 miles from my house the radio display for Sirius quit showing the station and song. Functionally it was fine but I just couldnt tell the station. Ironically, the same display line is used for volume and was fine and it worked for some other functions - but not the Sirius stuff.

WTF - has anybody had similar issues? I have now had the car 3 days and about 300 miles. Very worried about the future...I really appreciate your comments.
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I went Saturday to the dealership and they let me borrow it for the weekend, it's 2013 v6 29k miles and call me crazy but I think the volunteer on the stereo goes up when I floor it. Idk if it's normal but you can barely notice it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130908_213535.png
Views:	140
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	128048   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130908_213602.png
Views:	139
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	128049  

05MUSTANG4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MUSTANG4.0L View Post
I went Saturday to the dealership and they let me borrow it for the weekend, it's 2013 v6 29k miles and call me crazy but I think the volunteer on the stereo goes up when I floor it. Idk if it's normal but you can barely notice it
Lol I'm pretty sure that's a feature you can turn on and off.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hopefully the new BCM will fix it.
BTW it has Speed compensating Volume on the Radio, so the faster it goes the louder it gets. it can be turned of though.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Hopefully the new BCM will fix it.
BTW it has Speed compensating Volume on the Radio, so the faster it goes the louder it gets. it can be turned of though.
Nice I didn't know that, both of my other ponies have had after market systems
Old 09-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MUSTANG4.0L View Post
Press sound until you get to speed control volume...or something to that effect. You can set it to off or a different value. Its in the manual.

Sorry. I did not memorize the exact terminology. But that is normal behavior.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

Lol I'm pretty sure that's a feature you can turn on and off.
Yeah mines at 5. I love it. It'll be at 4 then when I go on the interstate it's about 6-7. The bass will hit harder too.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Back on subject please....Not sure why post #2 did not jsut start his own thread.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
WoW...... check your battery cables and make sure they are tight.

If it happens again take a video of the problem with your phone without breaking any local or state laws
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
WoW...... check your battery cables and make sure they are tight.

If it happens again take a video of the problem with your phone without breaking any local or state laws
Or unplug the battery 30 min or all night to let the computer reset back to factory
Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbamafan View Post
Back on subject please....Not sure why post #2 did not jsut start his own thread.
Sorry about that.

As someone said, check out the battery connections. Also, as crappy as this may sound...check for evidence of water infiltration in the cabin space. Electrical gremlins can suck. Also, it was delivered with issues, be prepared to exercise whatever options necessary to have the dealer you bought it from make you whole.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have thought about the battery and did check the connections - all good. I agree that there could be something wrong with the battery and may get the dealer to change it if the BCM doesn't remedy all the problems. For what it is worth, the radio (Sirius display) is functioning properly this morning.

As for recourse against the selling dealer, I doubt I have any options. It was a used car sold as is with remaining manufacturer warranty. It is conceivable to me that the selling dealer was not aware of the problems. If he was he would have profited in his service department by fixing it. He also only had it on his lot for 1 day. Given that it has only acted up for a total of about 10 miles, but worked properly for almost 300, he very well might not have ever seen it do it. In addition, he is almost 1000 miles away.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It may be a ground wire that is loose.

If it was a short a fuse would blow so it may be a grounding wire that is loose. I'm hoping the BCM will fix your problem but if it does not the dealer may have to start checking under the dash for a loose ground. Starting with the radio. It could be the wires under the steering wheel that controls the radio functions. They should start there first. The next time it happens just pull over and do not shut engine off but do turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few time and see if the radio blinks or just comes back on.

Maybe the previous owner had changed out the radio and re-installed the factory one back in when trading the car back in.

Your car is really great looking and I remember you could hardly sleep until you got it delivered. I'm sure it will be fixed and you will have a gret looking Mustang Vert.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Fine on startup this morning. It wigged out again about 4 miles later for a short time and resumed normal - except the Sirius issue. Not going back to dealer until BCM is in.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Try using your FM Radio for a while.

If it only is doing it on your Sirius Radio and your FM works all the time it is probably only your Sirius antenna that may be at fault.

I know when I go under a bridge my Sirius radio cuts out but it comes back on after I'm back out in the clear again. Lets hope your problem is just a loose antnna wire for your Sirius.

Be sure to let us know when Ford finds out the problem.

Ronnie
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sirius sound works fine. The 2 lines that indicate the station and artist, etc. go blank. You can change stations and the stations actually change and sound is perfect but you cant tell what station you are on. Very frustrating.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

So everything is fine except for the Sirius radio

Any other problem besides the Sirius Radio?

Does the FM & AM work without a problem?

Ronnie
Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

All other radio functions display properly - just not the Sirius stations. My gut feeling now is that they will do the replacement of the BCM and then likely a radio replacement. FWIW - my radio display also has the issue (that I have read about) where it looks like it has a goo on it or something. I'm eager to have all the bugs worked out so I can enjoy the car. I love the way it looks and drives!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post

Sorry about that.

As someone said, check out the battery connections. Also, as crappy as this may sound...check for evidence of water infiltration in the cabin space. Electrical gremlins can suck. Also, it was delivered with issues, be prepared to exercise whatever options necessary to have the dealer you bought it from make you whole.
+1 on both!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try painting it, Royal Purple and Old Gold. IT WILL WORK FINE!

Good Luck, hope your issues are resolved soon!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I stopped by the dealer and the parts are in. Specifically, the pinion seal, the sway bar and the BCM. They are keeping the car and I should get it back tomorrow night. I sure hope this fixes all the problems. I think there will still be a radio issue though...but I was able to show them the video of the radio problem.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So - an update. The short story - still not fixed.

As I said in my previous post I left the car on Wednesday. They kept it until Thursday after lunch. The dealer replaced the pinion seal, the sway bar and the BCM (most importantly). I picked it up Thursday and drove it and it was fine all the rest of Thursday. Friday morning I was going somewhere and after about 8 miles the dash lights, controls and electronics 'wigged out' again. I turned and headed straight back to the dealer. For the first time it continued to malfunction even after I got to the dealer. It is now Sunday. They worked on it but truly have no idea what they are looking for. I realize electronic issues can be very difficult. They said that on 2 occasions when they tried to hook it up to their computers, it stopped malfunctioning before they could connect. The service writer also told me that they have contacted Ford by email but as of the end of the day on Friday they had received no reply. I will not have my car until, at the soonest, the end of the day on Monday. I doubt I will have it that soon.

In the meantime they have provided me a Lincoln MKT with the Ecoboost (quite a car). Truth is...I want MY car back in proper operation. I can't believe that NOBODY else has had this problem...my luck. I have now owned my car 10 days and it has been in the shop at least part of 7 days. Frustrated, to say the least.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It gotta be either

A loose ground somewhere in the car or in the steering wheel. I'm betting the steering wheel.
It sure ain't a short because no fuses blown.
I'm betting it will be found and repaired.

Ronnie
Old 09-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Man, I've never heard of something like this happening. I hope they figure out what it is. I wonder if it could be something that happened to the car while the previous owner had it.

Maybe the top was left down in the rain? You said there was condensation in the tail light, maybe it's been in high water but not reported? I hope not.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I spoke to the dealer this morning. I was told that after we talked on Friday that they determined it was the guage cluster causing the problem. They ordered a replacement that came in today. They changed it and will keep it tomorrow to retest (give it time to act up). Keeping my fingers crossed at this point. If all goes well tomorrow, I expect to pick it up tomorrow night.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I spoke to the dealer this morning. I was told that after we talked on Friday that they determined it was the guage cluster causing the problem. They ordered a replacement that came in today. They changed it and will keep it tomorrow to retest (give it time to act up). Keeping my fingers crossed at this point. If all goes well tomorrow, I expect to pick it up tomorrow night.
I hope it works out. That totally sucks!!!!! If it happens again demand another car and tell them to burn that one!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

It isn't the dealer's fault. I bought it used. As I said, I dont blame the dealer - they have been nothing but helpful. Not sure if lemon law applies to 2nd owner or not (doubt it) so not real sure what leverage I have with Ford. For the time being - I just hope it is fixed.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It isn't the dealer's fault. I bought it used. As I said, I dont blame the dealer - they have been nothing but helpful. Not sure if lemon law applies to 2nd owner or not (doubt it) so not real sure what leverage I have with Ford. For the time being - I just hope it is fixed.
Oh sorry, I thought it was new. Once they find and fix it your going to absolutely love it!!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
This is all very unfortunate man, but you are definitely handling it like a trooper. Hope you're enjoying the car when it's not acting up otherwise.

Last Thursday I drove around 200 miles out of state to look at a 2010 GT and I ended up bringing it home the same day. Ordering a car 1000+ miles away is something I couldn't of done, props to you.
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if you get a loud enough exhaust you won't miss the radio.......

I'm sure the Ford wtty will eventually hook you up but I know the hassle sux, good luck. Hopefully it'll quit all together, that's a lot easier to fix than the intermittant problems.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
This might be a shoot in the dark but the same thing happened to my Tahoe. It ended being the battery current sensor. Changed all the parts your talking about and it didnt fix it. Finally changed current sensor and have not had a single problem.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I got the car back tonight, just a couple of hours ago. I drove it about 20 miles and seems ok...but it has gone further than that between incidents before. I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got the car back tonight, just a couple of hours ago. I drove it about 20 miles and seems ok...but it has gone further than that between incidents before. I am cautiously optimistic.
Good to hear! I guess tomorrow will be the real test.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Tomorrow, the day after and the day after that etc...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang