Diff Gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Diff Gasket

I am getting ready to order the Ford Racing Finned Diff Cover from Late Model Restoration: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Rear-End-Cover

They show a LubeLocker Diff Gasket for $25.: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...l-Cover-Gasket

Has anyone used this, and is it worth buying over just using RTV?
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
CloudsInMyCoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looks like it has a drain plug, so you'll never have to remove the cover to change fluid. I would feel safer using the RTV stuff my local Ford dealer sells over the gasket that could leak a few years later. But thats what i would do.......Just saying
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
That setup is the same that I purchased 6 months ago, from the same folks. Get that gasket! That gasket has RTV built into it (three lines of it, plus around each nut hole). I've had it along with the same cover your thinking of buying on my Mustang for 6 months now; not a drop of oil has come out. And as Ronnie states, the rear gear change is going to be so much easier to do. I plan to change my rear gear fluid every 30K, and with the fill hole at the top, and drain at the bottom, it's a piece of cake to do. Be sure to buy a pump; one that screws onto the rear gear oil bottle; that makes it eacy to get the fluid into the top hole.
By the way, two bottles of RP, plus the Ford friction modifier (4 oz) is all you'll need to fill the rear gear up with. I also bought that from the site your refering to. I questioned them as to why only two bottles when the owners manual states almost 3; they said the cover plus their experience of racing with that rear end showed that two bottles was enough. They are great folks with a great support staff to help you out on any questions you may have.
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Definitely use a paper gasket of some type. The one bucko mentioned sounds like a good one. I normally make all my gaskets. I use gasket shellac on one side to hold it in place, that way , the part can be removed and reinstalled without buying a new gasket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130911_075056.png
Views:	141
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	128371
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The one I mentioned is in his post (see link). I thought it was worth it, as the cover will not have to be removed (has drain and fill plugs built into it). Great gasket, with built in RTV. It does not leak, and no worries about waiting for a bead of RTV to set up before installing the cover. Most folks that use RTV do not follow the directions; you have to let the RTV set before applying the part. This gasket is idiot proof, which is why I used it!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Bucko - Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same thing about the RTV and didn't want to wait for it to set, so the gasket looked like a great idea. It's also very good to hear you are using the same setup successfully. And thank you for the tip on the pump!
Pony Package
6-Speed Auto
CloudsInMyCoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The owners manual states just over 5 pints (5.25), but with this cover, 4 pints plus the friction modifier is all you'll need. The same site you are ordering the cover and gasket from sell a Royal Purple "kit" with the Ford friction modifier. Some sites say you don't need the modifier with Royal Purple (it has it in its oil), but the site techs recommend adding the 5 oz in. I followed their recommendation.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
when filling, Put the friction mod in and 1 bottle of gear fluid. Pull the fill hole on the top of the diff housing not the one in the cover to fill. Pull the one in the top of the cover for checking fluid level. With the car on level ground or a lift and level, begin filling. Pour enough gear oil fluid into the plug hole u removed in the top of the diff housing until fluid comes out the top hole on the cover. Replace cover plug. Replace diff housing fill plug. Put a light bead of black rtv on both bolts before screwing in to ensure a leak free seal

For cover install,

Ford.doesnt use a paper gasket on the stock cover. Only black rtv. I use both the paper and black rtv and sandwich the paper between rtv on the cover and the diff. The black rtv will hold fine though as I have seen many installs with just the black rtv and it does come from the factory that way... Also put a bead of rtv on the bolts holding the cover on. Cross tighten all the bolts like u would when putting a tire on so it goes on flat and even pressure.

Also, After the cover is on wait an hour or so (the longer the better) before filling so that the black rtv sets up and dries.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang