Manual transmission rattle when applying throttle at mid rpm - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Manual transmission rattle when applying throttle at mid rpm

First post here after lurking for a week since I bought my new car. I tried the search function but didn't see any threads on this specific issue, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed previously.

I have a 2014 V6 with the manual transmission, just under 300 miles on the odometer, completely stock. Today I started to notice (hear and feel) a rattle in the drivetrain, seems to be coming from the transmission area, when applying throttle. It is most pronounced at about 3000 RPM in 3rd gear. The rattle gets louder and clearer if I push or pull on the shifter just a bit while in gear (I don't normally do this, just was trying to diagnose the issue). There is no rattle when I let off the gas. The rattle increases in speed as the rpms/speed of the car increases. There is no rattle in neutral in the same 2000-4000 rpm range.

Has anyone experienced this, and/or does anyone have an idea what may be causing the issue? I appreciate any input you may have.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Take it to the dealer ASAP!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Take it to the dealer ASAP!
That serious, huh? It just started this evening (or I just noticed it this evening), I'll call them when they open in the morning, and get my salesman involved as well to escalate it if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBuffalo View Post
First post here after lurking for a week since I bought my new car. I tried the search function but didn't see any threads on this specific issue, I apologize in advance if this has been discussed previously.

I have a 2014 V6 with the manual transmission, just under 300 miles on the odometer, completely stock. Today I started to notice (hear and feel) a rattle in the drivetrain, seems to be coming from the transmission area, when applying throttle. It is most pronounced at about 3000 RPM in 3rd gear. The rattle gets louder and clearer if I push or pull on the shifter just a bit while in gear (I don't normally do this, just was trying to diagnose the issue). There is no rattle when I let off the gas. The rattle increases in speed as the rpms/speed of the car increases. There is no rattle in neutral in the same 2000-4000 rpm range.

Has anyone experienced this, and/or does anyone have an idea what may be causing the issue? I appreciate any input you may have.
Is the rattle more of a vibration?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Use the advantage of your warranty. A good reason is this: lets assume they find and correct the problem; if it comes back, and after the warranty expires, you have it on record (always keep your service paperwork) that the problem occured in the past, and make them fix it again, even if the warranty expired within a reasonable time.

I'm guessing it's something as simple as a loose bracket or exhaust shied rattling from the engines RPM harmonics at that speed, or an exhaust shield. But have it checked by your dealerships service department. If corrected, be sure to thank them; build a good relationship with them, as you'll never know if you will need to fall back on that in the future. I go as far as bringing in a box of donuts to them on a Saturday morning; it goes a long way.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Is the rattle more of a vibration?
Yes, and it was coming up through the shifter - actually vibrating the shifter itself. When I pushed forward towards the dash on the shifter while in third gear the sound and vibration would get much stronger, making me think it is definitely drivetrain related and not just an exhaust pipe rattle. It sounds more like an engine knocking than anythihng else, but a little different.

Sounds were almost much lower on my commute this morning. There is also a noise that sounds like hydraulic steering used to when shifting into third gear. (this noise only occurs going into third). This noise was still present at a low level this morning, while the vibration/rattle sound was mainly gone except for when I put pressure on the shifter while in gear.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes, and it was coming up through the shifter - actually vibrating the shifter itself. When I pushed forward towards the dash on the shifter while in third gear the sound and vibration would get much stronger, making me think it is definitely drivetrain related and not just an exhaust pipe rattle. It sounds more like an engine knocking than anythihng else, but a little different.

Sounds were almost much lower on my .commute this morning. There is also a noise that sounds like hydraulic steering used to when shifting into third gear. (this noise only occurs going into third). This noise was still present at a low level this morning, while the vibration/rattle sound was mainly gone except for when I put pressure on the shifter while in gear.
Interesting. It might just be the dual mass flywheel that's in our transmissions. Mine will also have a vibration if I let off the throttle and let the car slow down(not touching the clutch) on its own between 3k and 25k. If that's the case its normal. Google dual mass flywheel 3.7 mustang vibration and see if you think that is it. Hope this helps. I will also feel it through the shifter and scared the hell out of me when it first happened!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Interesting. It might just be the dual mass flywheel that's in our transmissions. Mine will also have a vibration if I let off the throttle and let the car slow down(not touching the clutch) on its own between 3k and 25k. If that's the case its normal. Google dual mass flywheel 3.7 mustang vibration and see if you think that is it. Hope this helps. I will also feel it through the shifter and scared the hell out of me when it first happened!
Thanks for the response, I'll look into that. The only differnce is that it was a much stronger/louder vibration when on the gas. I don't recall if it was present while idleing in gear.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #9

Region: Maryland
Quote:

I realize this is a bit old at this point, but did you ever find a solution to this? I just bought a 2014 V6 and am having an identical issue. The dealer did some repairs to the flywheel but the vibration is still there...
AD1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1987 View Post
I realize this is a bit old at this point, but did you ever find a solution to this? I just bought a 2014 V6 and am having an identical issue. The dealer did some repairs to the flywheel but the vibration is still there...
Well I have 5,000 miles on it now and I don't notice it anymore. It could still there and I've gotten used to it, or the vibration has gone away (probably just have gotten used to it). When I first got the Mustang I traded up from a 2012 ford focus, and the mustang has a much more mechanical feel with the bigger engine and RWD, so I noticed more vibrations, normal or not. I think I was just being hypersensitive since it was different than what I was used to, but everything is running great.

The latest thing I noticed was a whirring/spinning sound in the back left, but I can only hear it with the seats down - sound like a very quiet version of sitting in the back of an airplane with the engines at the rear... It's probably nothing, maybe the driveshaft, gears, or wheels spinning (not the brakes I checked those), I just get a little paranoid with things like that. Putting the seats back up fixed the noise for now haha.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #11

Thanks for the speedy response. This is my first Mustang, and coming off a 97 Impreza, I definitely know what you mean about the adjustment. I might be being overly sensitive as well. I'll give it some time and see if it smooths out.

I have no idea what that whirling sound could be, sorry! Thanks for the help!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
While this thread has the attention of a few 2014 V6 manual owners, I'd like to ask what kind of mpg numbers you are getting. I've only filled the tank once since I bought this back in the beginning of December as I have under 500 miles on it. I've done very little highway driving, mostly tooling around the city and never getting on it (yet). I'm currently seeing 17.0 mpg on my readout, how about the rest of you?
PatinMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatinMich View Post
While this thread has the attention of a few 2014 V6 manual owners, I'd like to ask what kind of mpg numbers you are getting. I've only filled the tank once since I bought this back in the beginning of December as I have under 500 miles on it. I've done very little highway driving, mostly tooling around the city and never getting on it (yet). I'm currently seeing 17.0 mpg on my readout, how about the rest of you?
17 - 20 city, 24-29 highway
Old 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #14

Same. It seems to have gotten better. I also ran some injector cleaner through it around 1500 miles, which will probably help. The first 2k are a tough on a new engine.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Dual mass flywheel or just loud tranny. These cars are plagued with both in manual. Normal.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Dual mass flywheel or just loud tranny. These cars are plagued with both in manual. Normal.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
+1. I've gone to royal purple in my 13 manual and it has helped significantly in the extreme summer heat, it seems to absorb the heat better imo. With the factory fluid it was pretty loud after sitting in lots of traffic in the summer, not so much with the royal purple.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Mine does the exact same thing.. It's an '11 5.0. I'm definitely gonna be watching this thread
Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I dont know if id call it a rattle but when im just moving into my powerband my exhaust sort of goes ra-ra-ra-raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa it doesnt hold a smooth tone its broken and uneven right around 3k when accelerating but otherwise its all normal.
SaintSancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang