oil intake valve slightly loose? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
oil intake valve slightly loose?

I installed a jlt oil separator a couple thousand miles back and i love it. Works great. It seems the lower intake where it attaches has a slight amount of play to it. Is that normal? Not the oil separator, but the actual piece that it attaches to.
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This piece
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-30007314.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	128387  
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well you made me go out to look . Mine wiggles a little. So i hope its normal
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha okay! I hate when i see something like this cause then i'll go and check mine lol. Glad im not the only one! Doing first oil change in a few hundred miles and i wanted to see how much the jlt collected and it's quite a good amount.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Keep me posted on the fit and how much the oil separator collects. I just ordered one yesterday and it'll be delivered next Monday - can't wait. Curious if it's supposed to have any play at all at it's connections. You could contact JLT and see what they say at www.jlttruecoldair.com.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
That "piece" is the PCV valve. It has some play, as it is meant to twist out and be replaced if needed. This valve opens at low RPM to allow the crankcase pressure to escape from this point, and to the intake to be "reburned". This is where you want the container to capture the oil mist (passenger side). Don't need one on the drivers side, as this is where the engine "draws" air into the crankcase; it comes from a filtered connection at the air box cleaner (or CAI tube).
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the explanation, sir!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I empty my JLT catch can every 1,000 miles. Its only half full but i don't want any of the oil it has collected bouncing around and maybe getting sucked into the engine. Just saying..............
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
That "piece" is the PCV valve. It has some play, as it is meant to twist out and be replaced if needed. This valve opens at low RPM to allow the crankcase pressure to escape from this point, and to the intake to be "reburned". This is where you want the container to capture the oil mist (passenger side). Don't need one on the drivers side, as this is where the engine "draws" air into the crankcase; it comes from a filtered connection at the air box cleaner (or CAI tube).
Thanks Bucko, very familiar with the PCV valve and what you said makes perfect sense.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

No worries. There has been some confusion with catch cans, and which side(s) require them. I thought I'd explain on this post, as to help anyone who searches (lol) about them.

I really don't get why they sell a drivers side catch can, as it is a total waste. That side is the fresh air "draw" side....no oil will be caught from the airbox tube!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Marketing
Old 09-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
No worries. There has been some confusion with catch cans, and which side(s) require them. I thought I'd explain on this post, as to help anyone who searches (lol) about them.

I really don't get why they sell a drivers side catch can, as it is a total waste. That side is the fresh air "draw" side....no oil will be caught from the airbox tube!
Yeah, AM only has one available for the passenger side of the V6. They don't have one available for the driver's side. Makes perfect sense and JLT confirms this setup for the V6. I believe the V8 is a different story as I've seen the oil separator installed on both sides.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen them installed on both sides for the v8, but from what I've seen from people with both the drivers side catches none-hardly any at all
Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The positive crankcase ventilation system works the same on V8's and V6's. No different. Folks buy the drivers side because they don't know how the system works, and the sellers profit on that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang