The key to no rasp and a deep sound - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Anyone else have issues with it bogging when launching?
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

Yea we gotta test it out man! LTs made my time worse too I went from a 9.0 to 9.2. I think we need suspension mods before we go adding power!
I think you hit the nail on the head. The added power is awesome but then one needs to upgrade the parts that help with traction and getting that power to the pavement. Drag radial tires are probably going to be the biggest help. I know with my long tubes and off road x pipe the car pulls crazy from mid to high range. Also, the tune has really changed things. My mpt tune has made my low end torque pull better and the the mid to high power is just plain old sick.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

Id be interested in hearing how that sounds post a video if you can
I'll be sure to do a before and after video!
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
For a minute there, I thought the key to no rasp and deep sound would be revealed. Looks like this thread should be renamed to "the key to a perfect launch". Just kidding, LOL
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
For a minute there, I thought the key to no rasp and deep sound would be revealed. Looks like this thread should be renamed to "the key to a perfect launch". Just kidding, LOL
OP, totally right. We got way off the topic and I'm just as guilty. Lol! Back to your topic. Everybody has a different sound they like and its really up to the individual mustang owner. I love my exhaust tone set up but some may not. I think my exhaust setup is very aggressive sounding, deep tone at cold start up and awesome when wot. I have BBK ceramic headers, off road x pipe, Flowmaster exhaust Force II system and two glass pack resonators welded on. For me, my set up is music to my ears. For someone else they may want to throw up. Lol
Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol well my car does have no rasp so the key is my setup
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
sounds really good. ya you can def hear you bang the chip and see you were spinning right out of the hole. sounds real good. what was your times? 60ft too.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
sounds really good. ya you can def hear you bang the chip and see you were spinning right out of the hole. sounds real good. what was your times? 60ft too.
Thanks bro! All the announcers there were calling it a 5 liter. I have a video where you can hear em say it agains a 540 on spray i beat haha.think that speaks to how it sounds in person

And I ran a 9.05@80 mph with a 2.2 60" for this run. I was shifting early at 6500 instead of my usual 7500 too. The heat at 110 degrees wasn't helpin either! Still it was fun running at the track for my 4th time for free
Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks bro! All the announcers there were calling it a 5 liter. I have a video where you can hear em say it agains a 540 on spray i beat haha.think that speaks to how it sounds in person

And I ran a 9.05@80 mph with a 2.2 60" for this run. I was shifting early at 6500 instead of my usual 7500 too. The heat at 110 degrees wasn't helpin either! Still it was fun running at the track for my 4th time for free
How was it free bro? Lmao. Hook me up! Hahahaha.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Now that I have not done. I know exactly what your talking about and never launched it like that with the rpm's up. That very well could be why your tires are spinning. Try just flooring it from a dead stop while the rpm's are at 0 and I bet you will be a difference. In theory , launching at higher rpm's would get the car to move faster assuming the car is putting that power down to the ground. One can have a 500 HP car but if your tires spin for 2 seconds until they catch, my 350 HP V6 very well may take the win in the 1/4. Power is great but one has to make that power stick to the ground. That's why all wheel drive cars like Sti are wicked. They have great traction.

My buddy has a 500 plus HP,( to the crank) Pontiac Trans AM on street tires and all he does is spin when flooding it. I think my v6 may take him now in the 1/4 because I'm not spinning. My power is down on the pavement.
Yea launching the car at higher RPMs is awesome but only if the power is put down! Next up is my suspension.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #46
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Is is possible to just purchase axle backs that don't produce any rasp or, at the very least, minimal rasp? If so, can someone suggest who makes axle backs that have minimal rasp? Just askin' the question.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is is possible to just purchase axle backs that don't produce any rasp or, at the very least, minimal rasp? If so, can someone suggest who makes axle backs that have minimal rasp? Just askin' the question.
From what I have been told I think you would want to get the Magnaflow exhaust axle backs based upon this question.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
From what I have been told I think you would want to get the Magnaflow exhaust axle backs based upon this question.
Fair enough, thanks for the response
Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

You could always get the gt500s. You'd need a shop to make it fit though. Unless you can do it.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #50
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
You could always get the gt500s. You'd need a shop to make it fit though. Unless you can do it.
I believe Bucko did this, and the GT500 axle backs were at a way better price point. I wouldn't mind a muffler shop making the install at all. Thanks for the input, almost forgot about the GT500s
Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow 7500?!!!! Very good for high temps and spinning. I would include a set of strange adjustable drag shocks in your plan. I had them on my last car and with a twist of the dial u can make them really spongy and they just make the car squat and transfer weight to the rear tires. Turn em back up.to 3 or 4 and ready for the street. I had axle braces, upper and lower control arms, girdle, lca brackets... The whole deal with 430 gears in it and the drag shocks coupled with the cobrajet drag springs really made it hook. On slicks too. I did the lca's first and that helped with spin. The lower control arms helped the best for spin but the drag shocks made it go straight.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe Bucko did this, and the GT500 axle backs were at a way better price point. I wouldn't mind a muffler shop making the install at all. Thanks for the input, almost forgot about the GT500s
I have em too, just haven't gotten a good video. I only have my phone to take it with haha
Old 09-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
borla!
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
I have em too, just haven't gotten a good video. I only have my phone to take it with haha
What was required for the install, and are these the axle backs?

Ford Racing GT500 Style Axle-Back Exhaust (11-14 GT)
Our Price $319.99 (American Muscle)

Also, do the hangers on these match our V6 hangers?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow 7500?!!!! Very good for high temps and spinning. I would include a set of strange adjustable drag shocks in your plan. I had them on my last car and with a twist of the dial u can make them really spongy and they just make the car squat and transfer weight to the rear tires. Turn em back up.to 3 or 4 and ready for the street. I had axle braces, upper and lower control arms, girdle, lca brackets... The whole deal with 430 gears in it and the drag shocks coupled with the cobrajet drag springs really made it hook. On slicks too. I did the lca's first and that helped with spin. The lower control arms helped the best for spin but the drag shocks made it go straight.
Yup my car likes revving out that high. My previous best of 8.83@81.7 mph was in 70 degree heat, w/ a low 2.2 60", and revving out to 7500 rpm every gear.

Shifting at only 6500 rpm lowers my trap by almost 1.5 mph. Since I got in free I wanted to experiment and see how my car reacted to lowering the shift points as well as trying it drive instead of using the 1-2-3. I wasn't really trying to get my best time. Too many things going against me that day to get a best time like the heat, excessive spinning, and my girlfriend riding in the car with me (110 lbs but still makes a tenth of a second difference lol)

And I got on free cause nitto was having an event and letting the first 500 people in free !

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote:

Yup my car likes revving out that high. My previous best of 8.83@81.7 mph was in 70 degree heat, w/ a low 2.2 60", and revving out to 7500 rpm every gear.

Shifting at only 6500 rpm lowers my trap by almost 1.5 mph. Since I got in free I wanted to experiment and see how my car reacted to lowering the shift points as well as trying it drive instead of using the 1-2-3. I wasn't really trying to get my best time. Too many things going against me that day to get a best time like the heat, excessive spinning, and my girlfriend riding in the car with me (110 lbs but still makes a tenth of a second difference lol)

And I got on free cause nitto was having an event and letting the first 500 people in free !
Yea the shocks where something I have been contemplating but I think my car is fine with the suspension as it is. I'm gonna upgrade them when they blow out to something aftermarket.

What's holding me back is the street tires. I also DON'T lower the tire pressure at all so all my tires were at 35 psi or so. Would that help with the spinning?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #56
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
borla!
Are you saying no rasp or that you just like them?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Yea the shocks where something I have been contemplating but I think my car is fine with the suspension as it is. I'm gonna upgrade them when they blow out to something aftermarket.

What's holding me back is the street tires. I also DON'T lower the tire pressure at all so all my tires were at 35 psi or so. Would that help with the spinning?
Yes it would. Lower them to 28. Then adjust up or down from there. Lower will flatten out the tires so more patch to grip. Keep fronts inflated. Dont go lower than 20. Also dont do a burnout. Drive around the water box. Street compound will just glaze them and make u spin. Not soft enough to burn and grip. Just scuff them to clean them off if u must. Burnouts and heat will increase tire pressure. So if u have slicks and set thrm at say 18 by the time u heat them up and do a pass ur pressure will be a few pounds up.. so keep checking pressure.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you saying no rasp or that you just like them?
Here's what the Borla S Type Sounded like before the shorty headers. As you can see it's still pretty deep and not much rasp at all. The shorties just totally eliminated it and made the car much deeper.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #59
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Here's what the Borla S Type Sounded like before the shorty headers. As you can see it's still pretty deep and not much rasp at all. The shorties just totally eliminated it and made the car much deeper.

Sweet, thanks for your help. Dan at AM said this would be one of the toughest mod decisions I would make and he ain't lying, dang it
Old 09-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sweet, thanks for your help. Dan at AM said this would be one of the toughest mod decisions I would make and he ain't lying, dang it
No problem.

I've had 4 exhausts on the 3.7 (roush,magnaflow,muffler delete, borla) so I know your pain trying to find the right one. I've had the magnaflow streets and they are a nice tone but very mellow and not aggressive. Revving they weren't loud either. They didn't sound bad at all... But the Borlas sound much more aggressive while also being deeper and not raspy. The magnaflows just were not loud enough for my tastes personally, but If you want it to not be much louder than stock but just change the tone those are for you.

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote:

No problem.

I've had 4 exhausts on the 3.7 (roush,magnaflow,muffler delete, borla) so I know your pain trying to find the right one. I've had the magnaflow streets and they are a nice tone but very mellow and not aggressive. Revving they weren't loud either. They didn't sound bad at all... But the Borlas sound much more aggressive while also being deeper and not raspy. The magnaflows just were not loud enough for my tastes personally, but If you want it to not be much louder than stock but just change the tone those are for you.

Here's a vid of the magnaflow streets on my car for you. This was when it was stock other than an intake
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, I love the tone of my Flowmasters Force II axle backs. Perfect tone in my opinion but you know how opinions go.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I have force 2s as well but i swapped the tips to single wall. Makes them way deeper and no more crackle n pop. A local guy has the streets. Mine before wasnt quite as deep. Now with the tips it sounds like streets at idle but is a bit deeper and has a nicer rumble on decel. I would never have thought the tips would make such a difference. Someone here c lued me in. Gotta love forums for the useful info. Im doing shorties next. Got the driveshaft to put in now. Then its going to get a new flywheel and procharged if I dont like the 15 GT.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Amen to that. I've been looking into all the "quiet" and least raspy systems since I hate drone, and it seems like the Borla Touring, Flowmaster Force II, Magnaflow Street, and maybe the GT500 all fit the bill. Needless to say I'm having trouble deciding between them.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have force 2s as well but i swapped the tips to single wall. Makes them way deeper and no more crackle n pop. A local guy has the streets. Mine before wasnt quite as deep. Now with the tips it sounds like streets at idle but is a bit deeper and has a nicer rumble on decel. I would never have thought the tips would make such a difference. Someone here c lued me in. Gotta love forums for the useful info. Im doing shorties next. Got the driveshaft to put in now. Then its going to get a new flywheel and procharged if I dont like the 15 GT.
I wonder who that person was who told you to change the tips. Lmao. Who could that very super cool person be. Lmao
Old 09-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

some guy.. blue boss or 2011 kona boss... cant remember... lol. ok ok it was you.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I just bit the bullet last night and bought a set of Borla Ataks. Hopefully they are waiting for me in the garage when I get home next Friday.
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I just bit the bullet last night and bought a set of Borla Ataks. Hopefully they are waiting for me in the garage when I get home next Friday.
good choice^ you won't be disappointed!
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
some guy.. blue boss or 2011 kona boss... cant remember... lol. ok ok it was you.
Lmao. Well shucks. Ba ha ha ha. Crazy thing is those darn tips made all the difference in the sound. Lol
Old 09-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #69
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Lmao. Well shucks. Ba ha ha ha. Crazy thing is those darn tips made all the difference in the sound. Lol
I'm not quite sure I understand how the tips could affect the rasp and crackle-pop sound. Can you tell me how that works? Man, I just gotta know how that works.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I dipped my roush tips and all that rubber made them vibrate less, causing less drone and a deeper sound. Mine are single walled and rolled at the end. I never liked the flows on our cars. I had them on my 99-04 and they were magical.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang