eh...hood pins? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
eh...hood pins?

So my Trufiber 3" cowl hood comes in hopefully monday. I overlooked the fact about how on their website they practically say hood pins are absolutely necessary for their fiberglass hoods. I'm really not sold on the look of hood pins for one, especially those goofy wires that hang out, and two; drilling into the hood? no thanks....But i've seen the practicality of them for those who drive at highway speeds but i rarely get past 60 as most of my driving is pretty much just based in the 'burbs. I don't hit the track yet or actually race (yet) so my question is basically this:

Are they really needed for fiberglass hoods even if i can easily install the factory latch from my OEM hood?
'12 v6, Black, Manual, JLT CAI, Flow master Original 40 series axle back, BAMA tune 93performance, Trufiber 3" cowl hood, GT Bumper w/ billet grille, Boss 302 Lower Facia and Boss chin splitter, Raxiom Smoked Headlights and Tail lights, Solarwing II, and a Car Seat for the shorty!
Feedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
My old fiberglass hood would flex once I reached speeds of 90+ or if I was doing 60 going against 30mph winds. Lol this is the same with my current carbon fiber hood.

Lol, but incase you change your mind. Here's what I did. It was meticulous work but I knocked it out with minimal blood and tears.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru....php?p=1547100
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

oh wow that's a really nice idea! Definitely like it better than the expensive stealth ones : Western Motorsports Stealth Hood Pins 2005-2009 Mustang.

I loved your write up! really well done and i'll be following this if i end up with those Aerocatch ones. Thanks for the awesome link
'12 v6, Black, Manual, JLT CAI, Flow master Original 40 series axle back, BAMA tune 93performance, Trufiber 3" cowl hood, GT Bumper w/ billet grille, Boss 302 Lower Facia and Boss chin splitter, Raxiom Smoked Headlights and Tail lights, Solarwing II, and a Car Seat for the shorty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Thanks man. That's an interesting kit. I've never seen one like that before. It see like a lot if moving parts though. I wonder how reliable they would be over time?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
3 inch cowl on a car that rarely gets above 60. Ha!
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have installed the aero catch hood pins on 3 cars and they are by far the best hood pin out there. I am in the same boat right now with my current car. I get flex in the cowl at about 80 but only on the side where the air comes in for the filter. To pin or not to pin?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-92958801.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	128820   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4076300537.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	128821  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3134963126.jpg
Views:	6518
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	128822  
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

You gotta do it.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
Lord NoMoney
Staff

I wasn't gonna do hood pins on my 05 until I started driving after I put it on & then decided hood pins where needed. I wish I had just gotten the flush mount ones but the ones I have are alright
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I pinned my 05 from the beginning and never noticed any shaking. But I like the look. I was told the latch would hold but the hood would snap else where if I went with out them.
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
I wasn't gonna do hood pins on my 05 until I started driving after I put it on & then decided hood pins where needed. I wish I had just gotten the flush mount ones but the ones I have are alright
It's not too late. Where did you mount your pins, to your radiator brackets?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Lord NoMoney
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It's not too late. Where did you mount your pins, to your radiator brackets?
my pins are the ones that replace the upper radiator mounts
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post
3 inch cowl on a car that rarely gets above 60. Ha!
I know, I know. "Why have the look if you can't back it up?" Right? Truth be told: I don't care. Basically got the hood for free cuz of an accident I had and I like the look. Eventually I plan to hit the track but its not a priority. It'll happen though, and I'll get all the times!!

Quote:
I pinned my 05 from the beginning and never noticed any shaking. But I like the look. I was told the latch would hold but the hood would snap else where if I went with out them.
And that right there just sold me on the pins. I'll def get the flush mounts then. Can't say the $150 for the mws ones for my driving is really justifiable.

And I forgot what forum i saw it in but the guy who mentioned the MWS ones said his was on for quite a few years I guess and was still going strong. Awesome concept but dat price!

Thanks for the insight guys!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedback View Post

I know, I know. "Why have the look if you can't back it up?" Right? Truth be told: I don't care. Basically got the hood for free cuz of an accident I had and I like the look. Eventually I plan to hit the track but its not a priority. It'll happen though, and I'll get all the times!!

And that right there just sold me on the pins. I'll def get the flush mounts then. Can't say the $150 for the mws ones for my driving is really justifiable.

And I forgot what forum i saw it in but the guy who mentioned the MWS ones said his was on for quite a few years I guess and was still going strong. Awesome concept but dat price!

You're welcome!
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey I have the look and the power but still drive like I'm a grandma. When people give you smack just tell them like I do. " I drive slow so everybody can see who is in the bad *** car, how else are the ladies going to know who to call"
Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #15

Region: Canada
I'm in the same stick

Jut wondering though can anyone recommend a good hood pin set ? Experience also if I can buy any hood pin kit or do I have to get one specific for a mustang ?
Eleanor_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
So my Trufiber 3" cowl hood comes in hopefully monday. I overlooked the fact about how on their website they practically say hood pins are absolutely necessary for their fiberglass hoods. I'm really not sold on the look of hood pins for one, especially those goofy wires that hang out, and two; drilling into the hood? no thanks....But i've seen the practicality of them for those who drive at highway speeds but i rarely get past 60 as most of my driving is pretty much just based in the 'burbs. I don't hit the track yet or actually race (yet) so my question is basically this:

Are they really needed for fiberglass hoods even if i can easily install the factory latch from my OEM hood?
Looks like there about $60. Your question should be: How much will it cost if the hood comes open at 70 mph and breaks the hood, windshield and scratches the roof of your car? $60 doesn't really sound like a bad investment for a little peace of mind.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

+1 That's a small price to pay for assurance.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Very true, which is why I already agreed to getting the flush mount aero catch ones that primer2tone suggested and did a fantastic tutorial install of. Just gotta order them. Till then I'll just fit the hood then have the body shop install them before they paint
Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Excellent dude!

Here's the link to where I bought mine.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
There have been some upgrades to the kit and it looks like it'll be an easier install with the supplied washer ring.

Also, I saw this and thought I'd share.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
I guess it's for added strength, I don't think it's necessary but it looks cool.

They also sell these pins with a locking mechanism. I don't think it's necessary either and I imagine weather would over time effect the lock making it difficult to operate.

One more thing, I would lubricate the hinge about every time I changed my oil. To keep it sliding flawlessly. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang