Anyone with tuner experience. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Interesting! Does that include a gear swap revision?
Yes because its not a major change engine wise
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Good to know!!! The reason is because between stock and the 87 street tune was huge, but the 87-93 was really not noticeable, so I tried the 91 and same thing. That's why I was asking if I should have gone back to stock before changing tune because I didn't really notice a difference. I'll call bama tonight to request the hybrid 91 and go from there. I'm sure they will get me straightened out with no problems.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Yes because its not a major change engine wise
If I'm not mistaken gears do not effect the engine pertaining to HP and torque gains or lack there of
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Correct, they change to rotations of the rear axle making it feel like you have more or less torque.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

If I'm not mistaken gears do not effect the engine pertaining to HP and torque gains or lack there of
Exactly why its a fre revision they only need to reprogram the speedo and rpm
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I currently have tunes from Bama, VMP, MPT, Lund, and BBR. I was only able to test 3 tunes at my dyno day here locally and my 3.7 put down 306hp with bama, 319 with MPT, 321 with Lund. Yes bama can make you a million tunes for free. But do u actually get ur money's worth?
I got to say but 306 HP wheels bama to 319 HP wheels MPT. Damn, thats a big difference in additional HP from the same car, same mods, same octane but different tuning companies. So the MPT is producing 13 HP to wheels more than the bama tune. All for 75 dollars! Wow. There you have it folks. You can't argue with the cold hard facts of numbers. What other mod can you do for 75 dollars that will increase ones HP by 13 to the wheels? Unless I'm missing something 13 HP more is quite a significant difference.

Now I will say the results for the Lund tune compared to MPT are not impressing me in the least. The MPT tune costs 75.00 dollars. The Lund tune is 200.00 dollars according to what you mentioned the cost of Lund. You got 2 extra HP for 125.00 more dollars. So not worth it.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Like I said and it shows with the above comments. Bama is too generic and pkay it wayyyyy too safe but I dont blame them since they give out tunes like hot cakes lol so for almost everyone u get the same old tune nothing special and it takes awhile for them to realky tweak it for you. Ive done 5 or so revisions between my 91H my 87S and my 93R. All had surging issues, Throttle respinse issues. Then I gave up trying and just left to other tuners. Try MPT and Lund. Even tho Lund is 200 its damn well worth it. I wanna get some steeda tunes pretty soon so Ill get back to u on that
For people seeking durability and power from an engine, bama would be great for me. I have enough power, if my thirst grows past what bolt ons and such can do, I'll just get a Mach or a cobra.

As far as surging goes... That's when the engine idle just kinda fluctuates or even stalls in autos. Mine does that on the stock tune lol it'll drop below 500 then spike back up to 7-1000. I'm more for the durability of my engine than power. College life lol
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

For people seeking durability and power from an engine, bama would be great for me. I have enough power, if my thirst grows past what bolt ons and such can do, I'll just get a Mach or a cobra.

As far as surging goes... That's when the engine idle just kinda fluctuates or even stalls in autos. Mine does that on the stock tune lol it'll drop below 500 then spike back up to 7-1000. I'm more for the durability of my engine than power. College life lol
Just curious who says that having a MPT, Steeda or Lund tune gives the engine less durability compared to bama tunes of longer durability. Is there any documentation that has our engines durability way less with other tunes?

I'm looking to get 200k plus miles from my pony. Will I not get that by running a MPT tune but will get it with Bama tunes?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Well for me definitely durability is above all else! These motors are still relatively new so I wouldn't want to find out that it was tuned over aggressively and started to create problems.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well for me definitely durability is above all else! These motors are still relatively new so I wouldn't want to find out that it was tuned over aggressively and started to create problems.
I don't tune cars but my understanding is the issue would not be tuned to aggressive. The issue is was the tune done correctly. That is what the key factor is. If a tune is not done correctly it doesn't matter how non aggressive the tune is , it will jack your engine up. As long as the tune is done correctly, the durability will be great whether your running bama, Lund, Steeda, MPT, VMP , custom dyno. The factor is weather the tune is done correct. A correct aggressive tune is gonna be fine as long as its done correctly and not having the engine run lean. All the above mentioned tuning companies are highly skilled and competent tuners.

I believe American Muscle has great success with the tunes for many reasons but a key factor is they were the only tuning company that offered free tunes for life. While there tunes may not maximize the cars full potential , its a great deal because its free unlimited tunes.

If AM stopped giving or never had the free tunes for life program , would all the same people still be using there tunes?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't tune cars but my understanding is the issue would not be tuned to aggressive. The issue is was the tune done correctly. That is what the key factor is. If a tune is not done correctly it doesn't matter how non aggressive the tune is , it will jack your engine up. As long as the tune is done correctly, the durability will be great whether your running bama, Lund, Steeda, MPT, VMP , custom dyno. The factor is weather the tune is done correct. A correct aggressive tune is gonna be fine as long as its done correctly and not having the engine run lean.
Good to know! Has bama had any problems with there tunes?? That's the only thing I worried about. Was the cylinder #8 problem on the coyote engines bama related? Sorry I'm new to tuning. Lol
Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good to know! Has bama had any problems with there tunes?? That's the only thing I worried about. Was the cylinder #8 problem on the coyote engines bama related? I'm new to tuning. Lol
Bama has an excellent reputation for tuning cars and in my almost two years being on these mustang forums I can only remember one issue and believe it was not only bama. The infamous #8 cylinder! My understanding is that issue is a thing of the past and has long been corrected. I haven't heard of any current or recent past #8 issues. That issue was back in 2011 and gone.

I have been told by Steeda on posts they have had zero # 8 cylinder failures ever. I have never found MPT or Lund to ever have any # 8 cylinder failures. That issue was due to the coyote engine being new and a learning curve. An unfortunate costly learning curve for the owners who had a failed # 8 cylinder but that issue is in the past.

You have nothing to fear by using bama tunes for your 5.0. I'm sure some may disagree on here but there hasn't been one article or complaint I could find in regard to a current #8 cylinder issue.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bama has an excellent reputation for tuning cars and in my almost two years being on these mustang forums I can only remember one issue and believe it was not only bama. The infamous #8 cylinder! My understanding is that issue is a thing of the past and has long been corrected. I haven't heard of any current or recent past #8 issues. That issue was back in 2011 and gone.

I have been told by Steeda on posts they have had zero # 8 cylinder failures ever. I have never found MPT or Lund to ever have any # 8 cylinder failures. That issue was due to the coyote engine being new and a learning curve. An unfortunate costly learning curve for the owners who had a failed # 8 cylinder but that issue is in the past.

You have nothing to fear by using bama tunes for your 5.0. I'm sure some may disagree on here but there hasn't been one article or complaint I could find in regard to a current #8 cylinder issue.
Thanks for the in depth post, I only mentioned the #8 because that's the only issue I've ever heard of. Good to know our 3.7s are in good hands and have had no know issues with tuning! I just ordered the 91h because I'm hearing good things about it from you guys. Bama also said to remove both positive and negative cables from the battery for 15 mins because I told them the 93 tune was not so different if any from the 87.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the in depth post, I only mentioned the #8 because that's the only issue I've ever heard of. Good to know our 3.7s are in good hands and have had no know issues with tuning! I just ordered the 91h because I'm hearing good things about it from you guys. Bama also said to remove both positive and negative cables from the battery for 15 mins because I told them the 93 tune was not so different if any from the 87.
Actually, our 3.7 engines have never had any issues in regards to the tunes. Our #8 cylinder has has never gone out. Ba ha ha ha ha. You will really like the 91h tune. I have the 91H and its a good, solid, strong tune. You can disconnect the battery for 15 and see if that helps. You should feel a difference between your 87 street and 93 race tune. Big difference it should feel.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just curious who says that having a MPT, Steeda or Lund tune gives the engine less durability compared to bama tunes of longer durability. Is there any documentation that has our engines durability way less with other tunes? I'm looking to get 200k plus miles from my pony. Will I not get that by running a MPT tune but will get it with Bama tunes?
I'm not saying you will but I have 80,000. I'm a 1/3 through the engine life. The tranny generally will show problems around 120,000 and the motor around 360,000. I got 250,000 out of my ole 3.8 5speed. But everyone says they are wayy safe and I see that as durability is up. You said it yourself, you have to give up something to gain another. So less hp for durability over more hp. Correct? Y'all say the mpt shifts more aggressive. Aggressive as in better, or more performance or what exactly lol
Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #51
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Don't forget that even though the MPT tunes are 75 bucks, you still need the tuner as well which ads cost to this. I mention it because some may read this thread and think its only 75 bucks to tune their Mustang!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good to know! Has bama had any problems with there tunes?? That's the only thing I worried about. Was the cylinder #8 problem on the coyote engines bama related? Sorry I'm new to tuning. Lol
The number #8 issue is there. Its mainly from bad tuning but ive seen it pop because of people pushing the car wayyy passed its limits. A stock 5.0 can pops its #8 if the driver is bouncing off the redline alot. MMR cake out with a "fix" but it dont do ****. Its all in the tuning and how u drive it.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Don't forget that even though the MPT tunes are 75 bucks, you still need the tuner as well which ads cost to this. I mention iot because some may read this thread and think its only 75 bucks to tune their Mustang!
U can buy the tuner from them and they include 3 tunes that they wilk update for 6 months as well dont forget that!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not saying you will but I have 80,000. I'm a 1/3 through the engine life. The tranny generally will show problems around 120,000 and the motor around 360,000. I got 250,000 out of my ole 3.8 5speed. But everyone says they are wayy safe and I see that as durability is up. You said it yourself, you have to give up something to gain another. So less hp for durability over more hp. Correct? Y'all say the mpt shifts more aggressive. Aggressive as in better, or more performance or what exactly lol
The MPT provides a more firm shift. Its not so hard that the transmission is banging loud but nice sports car performance shifts. Firm shifts are actually better for ones transmission although I'm sure some will disagree with that.

The 3.7 engine can easily withstand 400 HP to wheels on the stock motor with no engine build up. With that said , the engines durability is not going to be shortened by adding a tune to give someone 320 HP to wheels. Its not stressing the engine that low. Its not even close. Just change your oil on regular and do a trans flush every 30-35k and your engine and transmission will be fine no matter what tune your running. The key is the tune being done proper.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Quote:
Don't forget that even though the MPT tunes are 75 bucks, you still need the tuner as well which ads cost to this. I mention iot because some may read this thread and think its only 75 bucks to tune their Mustang!
Well of course silly.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #54
Admin

Supporter
Admin

On another post, someone asked about fuse #47 (the perverbial fuse that one can pull, wait a few minutes, then re-insert to reset the "adaptive learning" for automatic transmissions). Does a tune turn off the adaptive learning feature?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #55
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
The MPT provides a more firm shift. Its not so hard that the transmission is banging loud but nice sports car performance shifts. Firm shifts are actually better for ones transmission although I'm sure some will disagree with that.

The 3.7 engine can easily withstand 400 HP to wheels on the stock motor with no engine build up. With that said , the engines durability is not going to be shortened by adding a tune to give someone 320 HP to wheels. Its not stressing the engine that low. Its not even close. Just change your oil on regular and do a trans flush every 30-35k and your engine and transmission will be fine no matter what tune your running. The key is the tune being done proper.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Well of course silly.
Silly to us, but for those who may know nothing about tuners/tunes....
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Silly to us, but for those who may know nothing about tuners/tunes....
Lol. Depending on the type of performance tuner will determine the cost. Typically the non wireless tuners will cost $ 379.00 dollars. That seems to be the standard price when you buy it whether you buy from AM, Steeda or another place. For that 379.00 you get three tunes made. MPT charges $75 dollars to make tune for those who ALREADY own a performance tuner. If you buy the performance tuner from MPT then they give you three tunes with purchase of the tuner. Just to clarify. Hope that helps for all the newbies. AM does give a forum sweet discount which the tuner would be less.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Another question, do bama tunes also disable the auto learn (adaptive system) in our cars?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another question, do bama tunes also disable the auto learn (adaptive system) in our cars?
No not that im aware of.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No not that im aware of.
I think it does. Buddy says they do disable it on the race tune. Because let's think, if it were still on when you took it to the track, you may have slow shifts, etc. you get what I'm sayin'?
Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No not that im aware of.
Is it at all possible that my car is trying to return back to stock settings or something with the adaptive learning?......wow rereading what I just wrote makes me sound like I'm losing my mind! Lol. It doesn't feel as peppy as the first day I loaded the new tune!........Yep I'm officially crazy!
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:

Don't think the surging is normal. Mine doesn't do it stock but I have had major issues with the hybrid doing it to the point where you could smell gas at some point. The S and P tunes would barely do it and stock was fine. I've done 2 data logs and bama and am currently swapping tuners and we decided to try out the trinity. We are thinking the itsx has issues transferring the tunes. My afr ratios were going nuts in bank one but only with the hybrid.

*itsx=cool idea but POS software and execution.

On a side note ford has a new part number to combat the idle issues with a new o2 sensor. PN # 8F9Z-9f472-H. So you can see of you can get the o2 sensor replaced. There isn't a tsb on it that I know of but it could fix the surge issues.

New tuner should be here Thursday so hopefully ill have new tunes Friday/Saturday. And if this fixes the hybrid issues ilk give 2 thumbs up to bama.

After all the talk about mpt ill probably give them a shot down the road when I feel like plopping down $75 bit for now ill be happy fixing the 93h.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang