Anyone with tuner experience. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
So I got my tuner last week and loaded up the 87 street. Car runs great, throttle response is night and day I'm very happy with it! So on Thursday my tank was nearly empty so I put In some 94 and installed the 93 tune. Now I only drove it for about 15 mins but to be honest I didn't notice much difference at all. Is it maybe something I did wrong? I plugged it in and selected the 93 tune. I called bama before I did it to ask if I needed to go to stock before I went with the 93 and they said no so.....?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Octane that range change doesn't really make as big a feel difference more so for it the run better and some better mpg. Try switching from street to race tune! Then you'll be satisfied...for now.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Octane doesn't really make as big a feel difference. Try switching from street to race tune! Then you'll be satisfied...for now.
That's what I'm running now, the 93 race. Do I need to go back to stock every time I switch tunes? That would be the only thing that I didn't do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. Id save the stock tune on somewhere else also just to be safe. Try the performance thats the main one I use. Once you experience the difference from stock to a tune you expect that same major change and maybe expect to much. You could always call bama and ensure they labeled the tunes correctly. They can make mistakes.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Shifting should be noticable right off the bat. Get a hybrid tune. I noticed that one more than the street.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Performance and race feel way better than street to me, street for gas, performance for daily fun, race for fun and apathy towards gas lol is how I choose
Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope. Id save the stock tune on somewhere else also just to be safe. Try the performance thats the main one I use. Once you experience the difference from stock to a tune you expect that same major change and maybe expect to much. You could always call bama and ensure they labeled the tunes correctly. They can make mistakes.
Good idea. Is it easy to save on my p.c? BTW thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Shifting should be noticable right off the bat. Get a hybrid tune. I noticed that one more than the street.
Manual tranny. To get the hybrid I just need to call them?
Old 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Np. And yeah pretty much plug in and play. Sct has a lot of info on their tuners and easy links to what programs to download. I saved my stocker with my new set of tunes.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Good idea. Is it easy to save on my p.c? BTW thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Manual tranny. To get the hybrid I just need to call them?

When you order your tunes, select your options and octane rating. In the notes put, hybrid tune and they'll send it.
Download the software and install it on your pc. It will let you save your stock data and upload new tunes to the programmer.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

+1 ^
Old 09-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When you order your tunes, select your options and octane rating. In the notes put, hybrid tune and they'll send it.
Download the software and install it on your pc. It will let you save your stock data and upload new tunes to the programmer.
Cool thx, BTW are they free?? Lol. Is there a CD that was supposed to come with the tuner?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your mistake was going with bama lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool thx, BTW are they free?? Lol. Is there a CD that was supposed to come with the tuner?
If they are from Bama tunes, they are free. You can go to American muscle and buy the zero dollar tunes. They will send a link to fill out the order. Then you follow these instructions,
http://bama.americanmuscle.com/blog/...-custom-tunes/

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Boooo
Lol
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If they are from Bama tunes, they are free. You can go to American muscle and buy the zero dollar tunes. They will send a link to fill out the order. Then you follow these instructions,
http://bama.americanmuscle.com/blog/...-custom-tunes/
Cool, thanks bro!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hey Charlie Santos

PLEASE EXPLAIN

Charlie said:
Quote:
You said it so please explain to us that don't know " Why was it a mistake???"

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

+1^ bama gives the best flash tunes imo and has given great customer service every time I've had a question
Old 09-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I really couldn't be happier with it! Maybe I was expecting too much of a difference between the 87 to 93.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
PLEASE EXPLAIN

Charlie said:

Ronnie
They are decent for NA tunes. When u go nitro which is the most they will tune. They have horrible lean spikes. The A/F is off. They blew a few motors when they first came out but that happens to most new tuners so its expecyed but I have a huge discussion online with big HP guys with drag cars and all of them started with bama and had too many issues. They are now getting lazy with their tunes. Since they deal with soooo many tunes per day everyone is getting the same old tune. Its not being really tailor made for your car unless u argue and send it a bunch of data logs and force them to tweak ur tune. Even then half the time they already have the tweaked version waiting in a generic form. All their tunes are becoming generic. They leave toooo many horse and tweaks on the table for us. I currently have tunes from Bama, VMP, MPT, Lund, and BBR. I was only able to test 3 tunes at my dyno day here locally and my 3.7 put down 306hp with bama, 319 with MPT, 321 with Lund. Yes bama can make you a million tunes for free. But do u actually get ur money's worth?

Everyone ive spoken to thats gone big power adders hate canned tunes. But they will still recommend other vendors except bama. They love Lund Racing, Lethal because they use Lund for their tuning. And they swear by AED. All because they will ask for a data log. They wont just give u the tune n call it a day. No I got a email from lund with my order stating to send in a data log after ive done the idle relaern amd driven my car so it can get used to the new parameters. So that they can check it and send me a tweaked tune.

You all love bama cuz its free and havent tried others and havent done some research into why people hate their tunes. Trust me I LOVED the hybrid tune....it didnt pull nearly as hard as any of my other tunes. When I tuned my new 5.0 with Lunds Race Cammed Tune holy sh*t I swore I added a boss mani cuz it pulled like a damn rocket!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

My 91 Race tune from MPT was a huge difference. Perhaps their tunes are more aggressive.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't have a tune and really don't need one.

If I was to get a tune I would probably feel very comfortable with a Bama tune because I do all of my driving on the street. It seems a Bama tune from American Muscle is a good choice for me and 90% of the 3.7 Mustang owners that do not race or overly redid their engines.

If I was going to super modify my engine with different cams, injecters, turbo or super chargers or other mods I would probably go to Brothers, Steeda or one of the Tuners here in Florida for a full custom tune designed for the racing I will actually do.

As far as just running a good CAI and Exhaust the Bama tune is SAFE and works very well for street performance driving as well as Auto-Xing. The staff at American Muscle seems to really stand 100% behind their tunes if you do have any problems at all.

I really don't think any tune is better but some are different. It depends on what you would want and the Mods you have done to your engine.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
PLEASE EXPLAIN

Charlie said:

Ronnie
I don't think going with American Muscle and there bama tunes was and is a mistake for people. I for instance do enjoy my 91 Hybrid tune from bama and it turned the car into a different pony. I am very happy with bama tunes and its great they have free tunes for life. With that said, I do agree after trying a different company for tunes, not all tunes are equally as powerful. I am also running a 91 MPT race performance tune and by far its more powerful than the hybrid tune. The car feels quite more aggressive using the MPT tune over the hybrid. The shift points on the MPT tune are more firm and my car pulls harder.

Now currently, I have not had my car dyno so I can't prove the HP and torque numbers are higher on my MPT tune over the 91 hybrid tune. I plan on having my car dyno on the upcoming 28th of the month and that way can show which is the more powerful tune. I'll get the print out of the dyno results and will be the same car, same mods, same octane rating , 91 bama hybrid vs 91 Mpt tune.

Also, now that Steeda offers free tunes for life, I think that's one also to look into. I hear they make very good tunes. I have no idea if its more or less powerful HP and torque results compared to bama or MPT.
Just my 2 cents from personally having bama and MPT tunes.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I really don't think any tune is better but some are different. It depends on what you would want and the Mods you have done to your engine.

Ronnie
I think different tunes out there are BETTER at providing more HP, torque and throttle response. Not to say one tune is bad but my MPT tune feels considerably more powerful compared to my hybrid tune. Not saying bama tunes are bad because I do love AM tunes and there customer service but MPT has great customer service as well. So I don't think one can say all tunes are created equal and some are BETTER at maximizing the cars power potential that Ford gave but dummied down.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If you go forced induction and start making big power who said a mail order tune is the best way to go? A custom dyno tune is.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you go forced induction and start making big power who said a mail order tune is the best way to go? A custom dyno tune is.
I had heard the same when you go FI, custom dyno tune is the way to go but for N/A the right email tune like example MPT is awesome and all one needs.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I'll request the 91 hybrid.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Tell me how you like it ^ ive been wanting to order one.
Also even though a custom tune is better there's really no reason to unless you do major mods such as rebuilding, boosting, camming etc...bama's mail order tunes work good for bolt ons.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe I'll request the 91 hybrid.
You will like the hybrid tune bro. Get used to the tunes you have. Once your ready and want more power and acceleration out of your 3.7 , don't be scared, step up and go to the next level. Lol. Go with MPT and you will feel the difference. I'm confident the dyno HP and torque numbers will show higher gains on the MPT tune over bama tunes.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The "race" in race tune seems to scare folks; it's not a "Race" tune in that aspect. It's just more aggressive in the way a tune writer makes the settings.

I don't race on a track (yet), but the MPT tune I have is awsome. I'm sure the bama tunes are as good if you ask them to click the right boxes.

Ronnie, you really need to try one. You'd be grinning ear to ear my friend!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said and it shows with the above comments. Bama is too generic and pkay it wayyyyy too safe but I dont blame them since they give out tunes like hot cakes lol so for almost everyone u get the same old tune nothing special and it takes awhile for them to realky tweak it for you. Ive done 5 or so revisions between my 91H my 87S and my 93R. All had surging issues, Throttle respinse issues. Then I gave up trying and just left to other tuners.

Try MPT and Lund. Even tho Lund is 200 its damn well worth it. I wanna get some steeda tunes pretty soon so Ill get back to u on that
Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said and it shows with the above comments. Bama is too generic and pkay it wayyyyy too safe but I dont blame them since they give out tunes like hot cakes lol so for almost everyone u get the same old tune nothing special and it takes awhile for them to realky tweak it for you. Ive done 5 or so revisions between my 91H my 87S and my 93R. All had surging issues, Throttle respinse issues. Then I gave up trying and just left to other tuners.

Try MPT and Lund. Even tho Lund is 200 its damn well worth it. I wanna get some steeda tunes pretty soon so Ill get back to u on that
I've tried all the tunes. the MPT is the best when it comes to email tunes. I have Dyno now but when I was NA def MPT. spread the world bro! lol
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

When I first heard all this hub bub talk about MPT being way better and far more powerful than bama tunes, I was very skeptical and a non believer. A part of me didn't want there to be anything better than bama because I was and still am very happy with American Muscle, there tunes and feel loyal to there company. In a strange and mental not right way I felt that buying another brand tune was cheating on American Muscle. I slightly felt it would be unfaithful to AM. I know a mental professional should be sought after for my mental issues. Lol

The more research I did about the MPT tunes the more positive things I found. My searching covered the power gains to how reliable and safe MPT tunes were. I did all the research on it as much research someone can do short of buying the tune and observe first hand if its the real deal or a bunch of hot air crap people are talking. Consumers swore MPT was the most powerful when it came to email tunes and second to a dyno custom tune.

I finally came to the realization that if I wanted to know the true answer about how good MPT tunes really were, I needed to order one. When I found out that MPT will make any one tune for 75 dollars , it really was a no brainer and very little to loose. I don't work for either MPT, American Muscle or any performance tuning company so my review is unbiased and don't get a darn thing for recommending one tune over another. I have no issue with either company so its not my intent to smear or talk ill of either business.

I wasn't unhappy with American Muscle but wanted to see if something else out there was just as good, better or worse. I pulled the trigger and three days later received my MPT tune. Once you get MPT you will have a totally different out look on your bama tune. Bama tunes are good, and give good power results. MPT tune is better! It provides better acceleration, better throttle response, pulls harder and soon to prove higher HP and torque numbers.

What MPT doesn't give is free tunes for life where as MPT charges 75.00 dollars for each tune. The free tunes for life is sweet and a great deal. Now that Steeda has free tunes for life I think many may go towards Steeda over bama. I say this based primarily because American Muscle had a huge 1 up against the competition with the free tunes for life. Now that Steeda has stepped into the ring, with there impeccable record of reliable tuning and power HP and torque gains they are going to put serious heat on AM and most likely surpass unless AM steps the game up for more powerful tunes.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
When I first heard all this hub bub talk about MPT being way better and far more powerful than bama tunes, I was very skeptical and a non believer. A part of me didn't want there to be anything better than bama because I was and still am very happy with American Muscle, there tunes and feel loyal to there company. In a strange and mental not right way I felt that buying another brand tune was cheating on American Muscle. I slightly felt it would be unfaithful to AM. I know a mental professional should be sought after for my mental issues. Lol

The more research I did about the MPT tunes the more positive things I found. My searching covered the power gains to how reliable and safe MPT tunes were. I did all the research on it as much research someone can do short of buying the tune and observe first hand if its the real deal or a bunch of hot air crap people are talking. Consumers swore MPT was the most powerful when it came to email tunes and second to a dyno custom tune.

I finally came to the realization that if I wanted to know the true answer about how good MPT tunes really were, I needed to order one. When I found out that MPT will make any one tune for 75 dollars , it really was a no brainer and very little to loose. I don't work for either MPT, American Muscle or any performance tuning company so my review is unbiased and don't get a darn thing for recommending one tune over another. I have no issue with either company so its not my intent to smear or talk ill of either business.

I wasn't unhappy with American Muscle but wanted to see if something else out there was just as good, better or worse. I pulled the trigger and three days later received my MPT tune. Once you get MPT you will have a totally different out look on your bama tune. Bama tunes are good, and give good power results. MPT tune is better! It provides better acceleration, better throttle response, pulls harder and soon to prove higher HP and torque numbers.

What MPT doesn't give is free tunes for life where as MPT charges 75.00 dollars for each tune. The free tunes for life is sweet and a great deal. Now that Steeda has free tunes for life I think many may go towards Steeda over bama. I say this based primarily because American Muscle had a huge 1 up against the competition with the free tunes for life. Now that Steeda has stepped into the ring, with there impeccable record of reliable tuning and power HP and torque gains they are going to put serious heat on AM and most likely surpass unless AM steps the game up for more powerful tunes.
MPT does however update and revise your tunes for 6 months free
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

MPT does however update and revise your tunes for 6 months free
Yes, Very true. Sorry. Forgot to mention that. I would highly recommend anyone getting a MPT tune if they want to take there 3.7 pony to the next level of HP and torque gains. $75.00 dollars is a great price to get the added power gains. I can't speak for the power of Steeda , VMP, Lund , etc tunes because I don't have them. After a while you get tired of hearing the old well I heard this was good. I heard this was bad. Nothing better than talking to people who have first hand experienced the various tunes with the same car and engine as we have. Hearing it right from the horses mouth.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Yes, Very true. Sorry. Forgot to mention that. I would highly recommend anyone getting a MPT tune if they want to take there 3.7 pony to the next level of HP and torque. $75.00 dollars is a great price to get the added power gains
Interesting! Does that include a gear swap revision?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Interesting! Does that include a gear swap revision?
Well I do have 3:73 gears on my vehicle. Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang