Trans feels diff after JLT cai - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Trans feels diff after JLT cai

I just installed my cold air intake yesterday and i don't know if its me being paranoid of something going wrong or if this has happened to some of you guys. Sometimes when i get on it, it wont downshift and doesnt downshift like it used to before i installed the cai. I drilled the hole before i installed it. But like i said i dont know if im being paranoid or what lol i did see somewhere that if i pull the #47 fuse or #42 itll reset something to help with the shift points. Can anyone help lol

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

And in addition to the trans feel, my car also idles lower than it used to before i put it on, has that happened to anyone else too?
brittney18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
A tune should take care of it, I'm pretty sure that's why AM sells a tuner with a CAI.
Mystic96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittney18 View Post
I just installed my cold air intake yesterday and i don't know if its me being paranoid of something going wrong or if this has happened to some of you guys. Sometimes when i get on it, it wont downshift and doesnt downshift like it used to before i installed the cai. I drilled the hole before i installed it. But like i said i dont know if im being paranoid or what lol i did see somewhere that if i pull the #47 fuse or #42 itll reset something to help with the shift points. Can anyone help lol

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

And in addition to the trans feel, my car also idles lower than it used to before i put it on, has that happened to anyone else too?
Did you disconnect the battery while you did the install?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Did you disconnect the battery while you did the install?
No, should i have?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It idles lower because there is more airflow. I've never had the downshift problems but you could try disconnecting your battery and see if it will reset it..
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
It idles lower because there is more airflow. I've never had the downshift problems but you could try disconnecting your battery and see if it will reset it..
Ok thanks. Like i said its a strong possibility that i could be paranoid haha
Old 09-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Probably that was my 3rd intake to put on in a week and I never felt anything. I thought it down shifted a little better, as long as it doesn't shift too hard you should be ok!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Check for air leaks, both around the throttle body and on the automatics there is another line going to the intake tube.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:

OK, don't shoot me for asking, but you said you drilled the hole before the install, so therefore I'm assuming you installed a JLT CAI. Did you also install the additional fitting and grommet in the hole per the instructions and reconnect the hose to it? This is from JLT's web site:

"AUTOMATIC OWNERS
Automatic cars need an additional fitting, which we provide. All you need to do is drill a ½” hole (we show you where) in the tube, install the supplied grommet, fitting and you’re done. Note, all kits sold to resellers will include the automatic fitting."

I'm thinking about getting a JLT CAI as well, so you have my curiosity on this. Also, it's fuse #47 that you pull out for at least 10 minutes to reset the system that learns your driving habits and shift style. Disconnecting the battery is always a smart thing to do when disconnecting and reconnecting electrical components. I would also make sure all your connection are secure and tight concerning the installation of the CAI.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

OK, don't shoot me for asking, but you said you drilled the hole before the install. Did you also install the additional fitting and grommet in the hole per the instructions and reconnect the hose to it? This is from JLT's web site:

"AUTOMATIC OWNERS
Automatic cars need an additional fitting, which we provide. All you need to do is drill a ½” hole (we show you where) in the tube, install the supplied grommet, fitting and you’re done. Note, all kits sold to resellers will include the automatic fitting."

I'm thinking about getting a JLT CAI as well, so you have my curiosity on this. Also, it fuse #47 that you pull out for at least 10 minutes to reset the system that learns your driving habits. Disconnecting the battery is always a smart thing to do when disconnecting and reconnecting electrical components. I would also make sure all your connection are secure and tight concerning the installation of the CAI.
Yea i actually had to order the grommet and fitting separately b/c i bought mine used. And yea i knew it was forty something i couldn't remember exactly lol and yea ill prob tighten everything a little more lol thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I guess my car just didn't need the fitting, I'm sorry I didn't know I got it from someone else too!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The fitting is for automatics specifically, it's a must have and not needed for manual shift transmissions. Like I said, I would make sure all your connections are tight and secure. I'd also take a shot a driving it in sport mode for a test and see how your shifting is. This is the first that I've heard of this with an automatic and a JTL CAI having an issue. Let us know what you find out.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess my car just didn't need the fitting, I'm sorry I didn't know I got it from someone else too!
Its ok! Lol not a big deal, i figured you got it from someone else lol the fitting was only $5 haha

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote:
The fitting is for automatics specifically, it's a must have. Like I said, I would make sure all your connections are tight and secure. I'd also take a shot a driving it in sport mode for a test and see how your shifting is. This is the first that I've heard of this with an automatic and a JTL CAI having an issue. Let us know what you find out.
Yeah thats why i posted a thread just to make sure lol im just a control freak and any little change freaks me out lol
Old 09-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Its ok! Lol not a big deal, i figured you got it from someone else lol the fitting was only $5 haha
Since you're the 3rd owner of this CAI, how clean is the filter?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I hope you figure it out, your computer has to learn it too if you don't have a programmer so that might be it too.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

It only has like 200 miles on it the first guy never used it and I used it for 4 days lol. Should be pretty clean
Old 09-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Well I hope you figure it out, your computer has to learn it too if you don't have a programmer so that might be it too.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

It only has like 200 miles on it the first guy never used it and I used it for 4 days lol. Should be pretty clean
Fair enough, but I gotta ask, why has this CAI been used so little? Usually you install it and leave it on. Man, I just love a mystery
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Well I had an air raid then I sold it because I was going fi, but I had to wait on parts so I had that one at the house that a guy threw in when he bought my Procharger, then I pulled my motor out to get turbos on so no need for it lol. So its had a short life
Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Well I had an air raid then I sold it because I was going fi, but I had to wait on parts so I had that one at the house that a guy threw in when he bought my Procharger, then I pulled my motor out to get turbos on so no need for it lol. So its had a short life
Cool, well I hope it all works out for Britteny. It ain't rocket science so she should be good to go.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Cool, well I hope it all works out for Britteny. It ain't rocket science so she should be good to go.
Haha thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
OP already said the battery was not disconnected.

All that needs to be done is disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10/15 minutes and put it back on. Go for a drive and everything will be just fine.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you can also look in the manual about idle relearn.....
Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
you can also look in the manual about idle relearn.....
Page number please......just kidding, I'll go look it up. Good bathroom reading
Old 10-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Just so everyone knows, everything is fine now lol i guess the computer just had to learn? Lol thanks for the help tho!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Just so everyone knows, everything is fine now lol i guess the computer just had to learn? Lol thanks for the help tho!
Well alright, you go girl

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang