best gears to get - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
best gears to get

I've done a lot if researching. But I can't find the answer to this question.
My son has a 2013 v6 auto.
Which gears are best for strong acceleration and top end speed. I watched vids. Where 3.73's were amazing off the line. But around 80 the push went away. If I'm on the highway and I want to pass or me and another driver gets into a lil speed competition. I want to be able to pull away. Not strain.
will_vass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
If you go FI, get the 3.31 or 3.55's. If worried about highway speeds, you'll still have some left with either choice.I think anything over 3.55 is for drag racing. But my commute has 75-90mph stretches. (speed limit is 75mph here) and for that reason, I don't want 3.55's or lower.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have 3.73's and my stang pulls good and hard past 90 mph and I still get 28 or so mpg on the highway. For the auto V6 go with the 3.55, 3.73 or 4.11's. But don't go higher than the 4.11's.
BOSS intake, Steeda CAI, SCT livewire TS, A.R. long tubes & 3" X-pipe, Bassani axle back, AMR wheels, Steeda upper&lower control arms, Raxiom Black Projector/HALO headlights, Trufiber hood, CS/BOSS front & rear valence, BOSS splitter, Stainless Braided Clutch Line, TruCarbon CF Grille, MMD Black tail light trim & Trunk Emblem Surround, Carbon Fiber Dash Overlay Kit. Barton Industries Short Shifter and Bracket, DSS 3.5" Aluminum driveshaft. 417 HP 373 lbsft at wheels and loving it.
BigBry0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_vass View Post
I've done a lot if researching. But I can't find the answer to this question.
My son has a 2013 v6 auto.
Which gears are best for strong acceleration and top end speed. I watched vids. Where 3.73's were amazing off the line. But around 80 the push went away. If I'm on the highway and I want to pass or me and another driver gets into a lil speed competition. I want to be able to pull away. Not strain.
My good sir. I have 3:73 gears in my 2011 V6 and I can assure you at 80 mph my car rolls. The power at high speeds does not disappear and in fact my n/a stang pulls hard well above low triple digits. 3:73 gears are really amazing for the 11 plus V6 and the passing power at 80 mph plus is fantastic.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #5

I hear 2.73s catch up to 3.73s in a roll. And was told 3.73s were only good for acceleration
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear 2.73s catch up to 3.73s in a roll. And was told 3.73s were only good for acceleration
2:73 gears couldn't catch my jock strap. Lol. Those gears are not made for any performance. 3:73 gears are great from a dead stop, mid speed and speeds over 100 plus. The car shifts faster and accelerates faster at any speed. Amazing gear for our 11 v6's
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #7

Wow great news thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow great news thanks!
Go get em tiger. You will love them..
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #9

My son will lol
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I averaged 24mpg mainly city miles on the street tune with my 3.73's
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I averaged 24mpg mainly city miles on the street tune with my 3.73's
You ever tried the racing tune? Along with 3.73
Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Race tune with 3.73 i havent calculated yet, by with the performance I got 19-19.5 ill tune it for race sometime this week and get back with you if I remember lol
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Race tune with 3.73 i havent calculated yet, by with the performance I got 19-19.5 ill tune it for race sometime this week and get back with you if I remember lol
Lol ight
Old 09-18-2013, 03:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Man I wish I didn't have warranty issues to worry about!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
My son will lol
Then your son should be doing the research, don't you think? He's gotta learn sometime...

I would also refrain from allowing the son to do this on public streets:

"If I'm on the highway and I want to pass or me and another driver gets into a lil speed competition"

Not really an adult thing to be passing on to your son. Save it for the tracks.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Then your son should be doing the research, don't you think? He's gotta learn sometime...

I would also refrain from allowing the son to do this on public streets:

"If I'm on the highway and I want to pass or me and another driver gets into a lil speed competition"

Not really an adult thing to be passing on to your son. Save it for the tracks.
These gears are a birthday present. I'm sure he has done research on this topic before. But I'm not into spoiling gifts. And I mean he's an young adult. With a pretty sweet mustang. I'm not the type of parent to sit at home and believe my sons out there driving Mrs daisy. Do I like the thought no. Encourage it? On the track. But I'm also a realist and can be sure that on some highway my son has got into a lil speed contest. He's young. But he is also a grown man who will take responsibility for whatever choice he decides to make.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

When My son was under my insurance policy (and I was paying the premiums), I had one rule: don't do something stupid with the car. We talked on what that meant; no street racing, no excessive speeding on public streets.

His cousin (my niece) was killed by street racing. She was walking between classes at her college when two idiots decided to get into a "lil speed contest". She was hit and killed. That idiot has his license back and is back on the road.

Had my son done such a stupid thing, he would have lost his insurance coverage payment from me, and knowing he could not have paid for the premiums, his car would have been parked. That would be the start. That would be the least of his worries, as I would have then bought him a bar of soap on a rope, because he'd be spending a long time behind jail bars.

My appologies for being so blunt on this subject. Your question of which gearset to use is a popular one on this forum, and your question certainly deserves the experienced answers those have been providing. I hope he uses whatever choice that you go with carefully.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
When My son was under my insurance policy (and I was paying the premiums), I had one rule: don't do something stupid with the car. We talked on what that meant; no street racing, no excessive speeding on public streets.

His cousin (my niece) was killed by street racing. She was walking between classes at her college when two idiots decided to get into a "lil speed contest". She was hit and killed. That idiot has his license back and is back on the road.

Had my son done such a stupid thing, he would have lost his insurance coverage payment from me, an knowing he could not have paid for the premiums, he car would have been parked.

My appologies for being so blunt on this subject. Your question of which gearset to use is a popular one on this forum, and your question certainly deserves the experienced answers those have been providing. I hope he uses whatever choice that you go with carefully.
Hey no problem. My saying is we all have a story.
Similar accidents alike.
So I never judge anyone for being firm on a subject. But I'm sure my son is like his father.
I had as 60's mustang as a kid. Told my parents I would never do such a reckless thing.
Go hit the streets and do it all wrong.

I'd like to believe when my son grabs hid keys and I say take it easy out there and he yells back of course, that I should believe him. But I know youngsters will be youngsters rather I find out about their shenanigans or not.

Lil enough about the background stories. Theses gears. Lol
Old 09-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Hey no problem. My saying is we all have a story.
Similar accidents alike.
So I never judge anyone for being firm on a subject. But I'm sure my son is like his father.
I had as 60's mustang as a kid. Told my parents I would never do such a reckless thing.
Go hit the streets and do it all wrong.

I'd like to believe when my son grabs hid keys and I say take it easy out there and he yells back of course, that I should believe him. But I know youngsters will be youngsters rather I find out about their shenanigans or not.

Lil enough about the background stories. Theses gears. Lol
Reminds me of a funny story. About 10 yrs ago I worked a crash where a 16 yr old just got a mustang for his birthday and had just left the shop where his parents had paid to have his car "upgraded" with some bolt ons... He didn't get 4 blocks before he lost control, jumped a median at about 70 and hit a Ford F350 head on. He never made it past his 16th birthday..Oh wait.. it wasn't all that funny after all. Thing is, those bolt ons in my opinion were the parents tacit condoning of his reckless driving behavior. Now they get to live with it for the rest of their lives... I wouldn't put anything on my kids car that would make it go faster or encourage a little street competition.. in fact, my kids 1st car wouldn't be anything fast.. but that's just me.
3.31 gears
On order
Starsky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Again, my apologies if this post goes in the wrong direction. I think there have been some good gear suggestions, and a search will provide some additional posts here on this site for more information.

I did not intend to take this post in a wrong direction that the OP intended.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #21

Sorry for the family of that 16 year old.
Being that my son grew up around a 400wrhp gto since14 and is now going in 23 I dnt think gears would kill him. Not vs his current mods. Think his turbocharged lancer would have done that by now. Thanks for the input thoe. Back to the gears
Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry for the family of that 16 year old.
Being that my son grew up around a 400wrhp gto since14 and is now going in 23 I dnt think gears would kill him. Not vs his current mods. Think his turbocharged lancer would have done that by now. Thanks for the input thoe. Back to the gears
Well since your son is used to 400 wrhp vehicles, go for the 4:10 gears. We got six speeds so rpm highway is not bad. I'm running 3k rpm's at 100 mph.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #23

Hear a lot abot those 4.10s. But on a daily driver?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hear a lot abot those 4.10s. But on a daily driver?
Yes sir. Absolutely for daily driver. The new mustangs have 6 speeds. Unless your son is looking to pull 30 mpg then don't go with 4:10's. If mpg is not his main concern then he gonna need something to slam him in his a$$ since he had 400 HP GTO. Lmao. I have 3:73 gears which I love them but looking back could of gone 4:10 no problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #25

Oh the gto's mine. I never let him test the full power of my baby lol. I'll go 3.73 thoe. Some many searches seem to make these the best suited for his car. And driving style. If this wasn't his Dd then I ma have went with 4.10's
3.73 on an auto still giveŇ° em a lil tire burn from a stop bolts off down the track like a rocket. I'm sure he will love these.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh the gto's mine. I never let him test the full power of my baby lol. I'll go 3.73 thoe. Some many searches seem to make these the best suited for his car. And driving style. If this wasn't his Dd then I ma have went with 4.10's
3.73 on an auto still giveŇ° em a lil tire burn from a stop bolts off down the track like a rocket. I'm sure he will love these.
Oh he will sir. I have 3:73 gears and love love them. Pulls amazing from dead stop, mid level cruising and high speeds. Godspeed good sir.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

What are the highway speeds in your areas? I am finding some of these reports of mileage and RPM's tough to believe. But average speeds in 6th gear would explain a lot.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
What are the highway speeds in your areas? I am finding some of these reports of mileage and RPM's tough to believe. But average speeds in 6th gear would explain a lot.
Highway. 65 mph speed limits.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Highway. 65 mph speed limits.
That explains a lot. When I do 65 I get excellent fuel economy. But 80 is almost a requirement around here.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post

That explains a lot. When I do 65 I get excellent fuel economy. But 80 is almost a requirement around here.

Thanks
I'm rolling around 75 mph on average.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I now have 3.55 gears. Made a world of difference. The 2.73 was terrible. 60' times went to 2.0 and took 3/10ths off the ET on stock tires. I'd consider 3.73 the limit for street driving unless you go to a taller 28" tire.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
I now have 3.55 gears. Made a world of difference. The 2.73 was terrible. 60' times went to 2.0 and took 3/10ths off the ET on stock tires. I'd consider 3.73 the limit for street driving unless you go to a taller 28" tire.
+40
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang