Bama tune problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Bama tune problems

So I have my hybrid tune which is supposed to be better than the race tune and on the street the thing felt like a beast but last night I took it to the track. Didn't go well. The very first run left traction control on went to launch it and it just reved up to the 6500 and sat there and slowly started moving forward as if it needed to be at 6500 to move no tire spin or anything and finally ran a 14.7. Next run traction control off no burnout launched great ran a 14.3 I felt like it was reving too high in order to shift (it's an auto) so I went into the strategy tune menu and changed the octane to 93 which it should've been at and turn the rev limiter down from 7100!?!? To 6800 why it was that high idk. Then ran a 14.2 so I thought maybe I just need to get it to shift sooner next run the car for some reason again revs up high neutral drops itself then revs again and I limp down the track for a sad 18. I don't understand how American muscle can take my car stock run a 14.4 then put their tune in it the same day and run a 13.8. Don't think I'm bashing American muscle their customer service is great and I'm sure once I tell them they'll do something to fix it right away like always but this is my third issue I think I might go with a another tune I'm really upset that bama advertised going from 14.4 to a 13.8 with a complete stock car and it's just not true I was even on the ball the whole night driving great my reaction time was .201!
Salc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
ETs have more to do with track prep, weather & driver mod. What 60' times were u at?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
ETs have more to do with track prep, weather & driver mod. What 60' times were u at?
I was in the left lane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3473110194.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	541.3 KB
ID:	129737  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salc7 View Post
I was in the left lane
U need to get that 60' down! What RPMs are u launching at? What were the weather conditions like?
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U need to get that 60' down! What RPMs are u launching at? What were the weather conditions like?
75 degrees perfect weather power breaking at like 1500-2000 rpms
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

For reference here's my 1/8th mile run with just a bama tune & a CAI. This was my best run though I also ran a 9.1 - 9.4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-68781461.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	129747  
Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For reference here's my 1/8th mile run with just a bama tune & a CAI. This was my best run though I also ran a 9.1 - 9.4.
Is yours stick
Old 09-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
75 degrees perfect weather power breaking at like 1500-2000 rpms
Did u notice ur tires spinning much? U can probably launch a little higher like 2.5k. Play with the RPMs & find what works best for u.

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Is yours stick
No its auto.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did u notice ur tires spinning much? U can probably launch a little higher like 2.5k. Play with the RPMs & find what works best for u. ---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ---------- No its auto.
I spun bad last time i went i did a burnout to clean the tires but these times I didn't do you think that has to do with it I have the stock 215 tires
Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I don't drag and I never drag raced an auto either. How are you launching the slushboxes?
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
I don't drag and I never drag raced an auto either. How are you launching the slushboxes?
What do you mean the slush box
Old 09-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I spun bad last time i went i did a burnout to clean the tires but these times I didn't do you think that has to do with it I have the stock 215 tires
If ur spinning wider tires will help but it could also be your launch. Work on that 1st & try going higher & lower to see what works best. When I had CAI/tune only I did fine with my 215s (slip I posted) but the last time I went with full exhaust I did worse times. I just got 275s so ill see how I do next time I go! Ur only mod is a tune?

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote:
U don't drag AND u never drag raced an auto?? Kind of redundant don't u think?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Quote:
What do you mean the slush box
That's a word haters I mean people use for autos!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If ur spinning wider tires will help but it could also be your launch. Work on that 1st & try going higher & lower to see what works best. When I had CAI/tune only I did fine with my 215s (slip I posted) but the last time I went with full exhaust I did worse times. I just got 275s so ill see how I do next time I go! Ur only mod is a tune? ---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ---------- U don't drag AND u never drag raced an auto?? Kind of redundant don't u think? ---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ---------- That's a word haters I mean people use for autos!
Yea that's my only mod
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:

If ur spinning wider tires will help but it could also be your launch. Work on that 1st & try going higher & lower to see what works best. When I had CAI/tune only I did fine with my 215s (slip I posted) but the last time I went with full exhaust I did worse times. I just got 275s so ill see how I do next time I go! Ur only mod is a tune?

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

U don't drag AND u never drag raced an auto?? Kind of redundant don't u think?

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

That's a word haters I mean people use for autos!
Lol. I am no hater. I don't go to a race track to drag race... a few speed contests in some manuals in the past...but never tried with an auto.

In case you needed to know, I own an auto Mustang and was wondering how those with one that race, control the rpm for launches. I don't think folks are drop shifting them, are they? Or are they just balancing the brake and throttle?

Did you want to take a crack at trying to answer the question? I really was looking for info when I asked.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Do NOT try a neutral dump on an automatic. Eventually you will dump all the transmission parts.

Most drag racers are using automatic transmissions today; they aren't the "slushbox" that you think. They tend to be stronger, computers shift better than any driver can on a stick (despite all the "use the force Luke" thinking), and they are consistent.

Turn off traction control and advanced track. With the 2013, depending upon track conditions, I will either launch basically off idle (just a few RPM's) - at the last yellow hit the gas and then lift the foot off the brake to flash the convertor. Other times I take it up to 1500-1800 rpm, hit the gas at the last yellow, then lift off the brake and flash the convertor. Depends upon the weather and track conditions which one is best. Sometimes, if track conditions are poor, the throttle has to be feathered a little coming out. That's why there is more to it than just "hit the gas and go" that some people think, you do have to think about conditions, tire pressure, temperatures, etc.

With the 2013 you need a tune to overcome the built in torque management system. It won't allow the engine to go over 2000 rpm if you have any pressure on the brake pedal. Of course a tune also helps with the transmission by not looking for best MPG, but rather looking for best performance. The Sport mode on the 2013+ does give you a little better transmission tune, some tuners make adjustments to it and others leave it on the stock setting.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Do NOT try a neutral dump on an automatic. Eventually you will dump all the transmission parts. Most drag racers are using automatic transmissions today; they aren't the "slushbox" that you think. They tend to be stronger, computers shift better than any driver can on a stick (despite all the "use the force Luke" thinking), and they are consistent. Turn off traction control and advanced track. With the 2013, depending upon track conditions, I will either launch basically off idle (just a few RPM's) - at the last yellow hit the gas and then lift the foot off the brake to flash the convertor. Other times I take it up to 1500-1800 rpm, hit the gas at the last yellow, then lift off the brake and flash the convertor. Depends upon the weather and track conditions which one is best. Sometimes, if track conditions are poor, the throttle has to be feathered a little coming out. That's why there is more to it than just "hit the gas and go" that some people think, you do have to think about conditions, tire pressure, temperatures, etc. With the 2013 you need a tune to overcome the built in torque management system. It won't allow the engine to go over 2000 rpm if you have any pressure on the brake pedal. Of course a tune also helps with the transmission by not looking for best MPG, but rather looking for best performance. The Sport mode on the 2013+ does give you a little better transmission tune, some tuners make adjustments to it and others leave it on the stock setting.
I didn't neutral drop it I know that's horrible I'm saying I hit It for the launch but instead of the car moving it just reved and neutral dropped itself I even let off immediately there was nothin I could do
Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I didn't neutral drop it I know that's horrible I'm saying I hit It for the launch but instead of the car moving it just reved and neutral dropped itself I even let off immediately there was nothin I could do
My reply was to the statement from Six7One, maybe I should have quoted him in that reply. Your situation is different and sounds like a tune issue maybe?

Quote:
I don't think folks are drop shifting them, are they? Or are they just balancing the brake and throttle?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Being I have an 11 auto. The launch is simple for us auto guys. Perfect launch every time. Turn off traction control. Place your left foot on the brake. When green light comes on. Slam your right foot all way down on the gas pedal. At same time lift off the brake. Car will shoot off. Its that simple. Take the win baby. That simple
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol. I am no hater. I don't go to a race track to drag race... a few speed contests in some manuals in the past...but never tried with an auto.

In case you needed to know, I own an auto Mustang and was wondering how those with one that race, control the rpm for launches. I don't think folks are drop shifting them, are they? Or are they just balancing the brake and throttle?

Did you want to take a crack at trying to answer the question? I really was looking for info when I asked.
Lmao. I wasn't really saying u were a hater just that's what most people that hate autos call it.

My bad I didn't know u were really asking..Yes when I launch I hold the brake & hit the gas to balance my desired RPMs. Then when the light turns green I hit the gas & get off the brake.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Being I have an 11 auto. The launch is simple for us auto guys. Perfect launch every time. Turn off traction control. Place your left foot on the brake. When green light comes on. Slam your right foot all way down on the gas pedal. At same time lift off the brake. Car will shoot off. Its that simple. Take the win baby. That simple
Still gotta find the best RPMs to launch at to get the best 60' but not too much to spin.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Yea that's my only mod
I think that's an ok time. With some more practice u can drop it down. U can also call bama & ask them to take a look at the tune.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was in the left lane
Where are you located?
Seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmao. I wasn't really saying u were a hater just that's what most people that hate autos call it.

My bad I didn't know u were really asking..Yes when I launch I hold the brake & hit the gas to balance my desired RPMs. Then when the light turns green I hit the gas & get off the brake.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Still gotta find the best RPMs to launch at to get the best 60' but not too much to spin.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I think that's an ok time. With some more practice u can drop it down. U can also call bama & ask them to take a look at the tune.
I have found no tire spin issues on my car with the mods i have by leaving the rpm's at 0 when launching. Of course this may be why I don't have tire spin issues and car launches good. I just slam the go pedal down while removing my other foot off the brake. That's it.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post

Where are you located?
How you run bro. What you get for times? I never got the text bro, sorry
Old 09-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have found no tire spin issues on my car with the mods i have by leaving the rpm's at 0 when launching. Of course this may be why I don't have tire spin issues and car launches good. I just slam the go pedal down while removing my other foot off the brake. That's it.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

0 rpm?? Is ur car off bro?? Lmao. Jk. Well yea that might be why but at the track I launched at like 1.2k RPMs which is barley anything & I still spun. I also went at 750rpm & it didn't spin as much but my times were almost the same as when I did spin & launch.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was wondering what happened to ya! Maybe next time it'll all work out. I managed a 13.71 at 103.32 and a 13.76 at 104.96
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130922_002517.png
Views:	141
Size:	702.7 KB
ID:	129821  
Old 09-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry its sideways
Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where are you located?
Cecil county dragway Maryland
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I could stomp the gas pedal with my long tubes, cai, with 3.31 gears. 8 feet of tire spin at the most and take off. After my Aluminum driveshaft and 3.73 gears, goes up in smoke just spinning . Even went to 255 wide Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires, still goes up in smoke
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was wondering what happened to ya! Maybe next time it'll all work out. I managed a 13.71 at 103.32 and a 13.76 at 104.96
That's good times. What are your mods again?

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I could stomp the gas pedal with my long tubes, cai, with 3.31 gears. 8 feet of tire spin at the most and take off. After my Aluminum driveshaft and 3.73 gears, goes up in smoke just spinning . Even went to 255 wide Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires, still goes up in smoke
I have every mod you just mentioned including aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, yet factory tires and have no traction issues when nailing it from dead stop.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cecil county dragway Maryland
Haha same here!

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:

That's good times. What are your mods again?

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

I have every mod you just mentioned including aluminum driveshaft, 3:73 gears, yet factory tires and have no traction issues when nailing it from dead stop.
Mods are JLT Cai, BBK O/R x pipe, BAMA 93 race tune, gt500 mufflers and 275/40/17 nt555s. Still have those 2.73s as well.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha same here!

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Mods are JLT Cai, BBK O/R x pipe, BAMA 93 race tune, gt500 mufflers and 275/40/17 nt555s. Still have those 2.73s as well.
Bro, you have great mods. Even with 2.73 gears I would of thought you would be running 13.4 to 13.5. According to AM they ran 13.7, stock 11 V6 with just a 87 octane tune. Are you automatic or manual?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bro, you have great mods. Even with 2.73 gears I would of thought you would be running 13.4 to 13.5. According to AM they ran 13.7, stock 11 V6 with just a 87 octane tune. Are you automatic or manual?
Manual trans, if I could bring my 60' down a bit more I'd be mid 13's I think. Oddly enough my fastest run on friday was my slowest trap speed.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Manual trans, if I could bring my 60' down a bit more I'd be mid 13's I think. Oddly enough my fastest run on friday was my slowest trap speed.
I remember seeing you run your car sounds awesome maybe you saw mine I was the blue '13 mustang I was getting so mad I was sayin how come he can run 13s and I can't hahaha I guess it just takes practice.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

See, I think manual is much harder to run because one has to be spot on there shifts and there launching. The auto is way easier from a acceleration stand point. Just slam the pedal down and lift up on the brake at same time. Of course I don't raise the rpm's at my launch. I just let it idol normal and when light turns green, nail that go pedal. Perfect every time. I think AM was running an automatic when they did that 87 performance tune and ran 13.7 on tune alone.

One really needs to be spot on with manual compared to the auto.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
See, I think manual is much harder to run because one has to be spot on there shifts and there launching. The auto is way easier from a acceleration stand point. Just slam the pedal down and lift up on the brake at same time. Of course I don't raise the rpm's at my launch. I just let it idol normal and when light turns green, nail that go pedal. Perfect every time. I think AM was running an automatic when they did that 87 performance tune and ran 13.7 on tune alone. One really needs to be spot on with manual compared to the auto.
I wish an AM rep would come into this and explain I mean they even ran that car at the same drag strip I go to
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I remember seeing you run your car sounds awesome maybe you saw mine I was the blue '13 mustang I was getting so mad I was sayin how come he can run 13s and I can't hahaha I guess it just takes practice.
I do remember seeing your car! If only I had known it was you haha

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote:

See, I think manual is much harder to run because one has to be spot on there shifts and there launching. The auto is way easier from a acceleration stand point. Just slam the pedal down and lift up on the brake at same time. Of course I don't raise the rpm's at my launch. I just let it idol normal and when light turns green, nail that go pedal. Perfect every time. I think AM was running an automatic when they did that 87 performance tune and ran 13.7 on tune alone.

One really needs to be spot on with manual compared to the auto.
I was attempting to slip the clutch on my launch from about 5k+ it was working for the most part.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I wish an AM rep would come into this and explain I mean they even ran that car at the same drag strip I go to
So true. Same track and all. I really think with a manual you have to be spot on or ones times will vary.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang