Rust on my headers. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Absolutely. When I lived in NJ I did my rear axle in Hamerite. It lasted years and looked new even when I drove it across country and had it here a year... A small can and a brush with the car on jack stands will do it. You will have a ton left over. Cost would be like 15 bucks.
you just brush paint on?
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Yep. It gives it a metallic hammered looking finish. It goes on with a brush and has a reaction with the metal and smooths out and dimples slightly. Cant see brush strokes. They make spray cans too. I sprayed mine becuase it was out of the car but I have brushed it on others too. As soon as it goes on it wrinkles a bit and looks hammered and it looks really good. Just keep stirring the paint. Google.hammerite finished rear axle and I am sure u will see pics. Popular in the hot rod world and off road world. No need to prime. Just remove the loose rust with a wire brush and wipe it down clean. It sticks to rusty surfaces best. I have used it on iron railings too. Comes in a few colors too.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
My rear axel looks rusty AF
I wonder if you can paint them....
POR15 "Chassis Black" works great also. It's a brush on aplication and is self leveling so no brush strokes visable after it's cured. Comes in pints, quarts, or gallons. Kinda pricey though, and not a long shelf life after it's opened, so only buy what you need. It is urathane based and cures with the moisture in the atmosphere, but once cured, it's rock solid! POR15 does have a high temp paint for headers also.

1972 Gran Torino 2 door coupe...sold

1965 Mustang coupe, 289 dual quad, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Ford Racing cam, Magnaflow exhaust, street-strip automatic....she's a screamer!
Retrokid63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ya. POR works great but much more pricey than this stuff. POR wiould prob outlast this stuff too. The hammerite stuff will last years though. I did my last one and when I sold it it eas on for 5 years and still looked new... 4 years in NJ. 1 year in AZ.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I used por15 as well. Painted my rear axle, drive shaft and sections of over axle exhaust pipes. So far it works well.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I might paint my rear axel soon :p

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

So pretty much anything that gets rusty?
Old 09-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Im headin to ford in an hour to give em **** about my manifold. Hopefully i walk out of there with permission to put on shorties this would be so much easier if we had the magnusson-morris act here in canada..
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Im headin to ford in an hour to give em **** about my manifold. Hopefully i walk out of there with permission to put on shorties this would be so much easier if we had the magnusson-morris act here in canada..
They will give you permission to do what ever you want to pay for as a grown adult. Honoring the warranty, that's a different story. Lmao
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
They will give you permission to do what ever you want to pay for as a grown adult. Honoring the warranty, that's a different story. Lmao
Lol my thoughts exactly. They freaked when i wanted to put an axleback on, so im hopin if i give them enough **** for this theyll let the headers slide.

I didnt pay $25k for it to rust a month later. Ill make sure they know this
Old 09-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Unless it's different in Canada, your complaining about your STOCK CAST IRON Manifolds because they are showing some rust?

That's nothing but surface rust. It won't hurt a thing. Look under your car in a couple of months, it will be all over. Don't be surprised if they laugh your right out of the dealership. Go get it undercoated somewhere.

This would not fall under the Lemon Law, even if you had one in Canada.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol, dude they all do that. You really don't want to look at you ds or diff then! Hopefully they'll let you put headers on but a rusty manifold sure won't push them to let you if they are already against it. If they don't try another dealer near you and if they'll let you change dealers.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol my thoughts exactly. They freaked when i wanted to put an axleback on, so im hopin if i give them enough **** for this theyll let the headers slide.

I didnt pay $25k for it to rust a month later. Ill make sure they know this
Damn right bro. That's crazy a month later but probably just surface rust. No big deal. Happens to most of the underside of the car. At the very least don't break peoples balls about putting better equipment on than came from Ford
Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Unless it's different in Canada, your complaining about your STOCK CAST IRON Manifolds because they are showing some rust?

That's nothing but surface rust. It won't hurt a thing. Look under your car in a couple of months, it will be all over. Don't be surprised if they laugh your right out of the dealership. Go get it undercoated somewhere.

This would not fall under the Lemon Law, even if you had one in Canada.
+1 on all three points!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
BTW I hope you don't live any where other than B.C and are driving your ride in the winter! You might be shocked when you look at your DS and diff in the spring! Rust.......welcome to Canada, land of salty winter roads.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'm sorry, but I think your over reacting. I have never seen a stock exhaust manifold that isn't completely covered in rust, on a car that gets driven. That's just how it is with these things. Metal rust, especially when it gets used and if you don't like replace it with something like the ceramic coated ones that won't rust.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1 on all three points!
Well the passenger side is just a little discoloured while the drivers side is completely coated, the pic i posted wasnt even the worst part. The heat shield was covering the real nasty stuff. I expected it to rust, just not this early.
Plus rust is just straight up depressing.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
I'm sorry, but I think your over reacting. I have never seen a stock exhaust manifold that isn't completely covered in rust, on a car that gets driven. That's just how it is with these things. Metal rust, especially when it gets used and if you don't like replace it with something like the ceramic coated ones that won't rust.
A month old with 3000 kms on it tho?? Like i said in an earlier post, my 14 yr old eclipse has a little more rust than it, and that thing has seen weather hell. Not to mention has been parked on grass most of its life and driven in the snowiest/saltiest conditions.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
I think the OP is more than willing to purchase ceramic headers however he doesn't want the dealership to break his balls about warranty issues. The surface rust on the factory manifolds won't hurt anything and is common especially from something that is getting super hot and then cold, plus water on. The rust looks horrible especially on a brand new sexy pony but unless one is entering car shows, no one will see the manifolds. The OP may want to show his car off or just not look at nasty, dirty rust and I would absolutely recommend ceramic headers for various reasons. If you install ceramic headers and your door locks break, that's a hard one to deny a claim when headers have nothing to due with door locks.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think the OP is more than willing to purchase ceramic headers however he doesn't want the dealership to break his balls about warranty issues. The surface rust on the factory manifolds won't hurt anything and is common especially from something that is getting super hot and then cold, plus water on. It does look crappy but unless your entering car shows, no one will see the manifolds. The OP may want to show his car off and I would absolutely recommend ceramic headers for various reasons.
"Is that a v8" what most people say when they see the motor (ya idiots i know) Lol id like to keep them askin that rather than "is that rust?!"
I just like seeing a clean/pretty motor.

Plus its like a 2nd child to me lol

Also the fact that only the one side is rusting worries me (is it running hotter or something?? I have no idea.)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well the passenger side is just a little discoloured while the drivers side is completely coated, the pic i posted wasnt even the worst part. The heat shield was covering the real nasty stuff. I expected it to rust, just not this early.
Plus rust is just straight up depressing.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

A month old with 3000 kms on it tho?? Like i said in an earlier post, my 14 yr old eclipse has a little more rust than it, and that thing has seen weather hell. Not to mention has been parked on grass most of its life and driven in the snowiest/saltiest conditions.
I hear ya, I have a 13 that's 15 months old and its seen one winter and will never see another one! I live in Montreal and I believe it uses the most salt out of any major city in NA in the winter. My car was and will be rust proofed every year even though it won't see winter again. But for your viewing pleasure..... There is no escape. Lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130924_170506.png
Views:	126
Size:	919.2 KB
ID:	130172
Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

But you can still make it pretty.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130924_171005.png
Views:	124
Size:	843.5 KB
ID:	130173
Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hear ya, I have a 13 that's 15 months old and its seen one winter and will never see another one! I live in Montreal and I believe it uses the most salt out of any major city in NA in the winter. My car was and will be rust proofed every year even though it won't see winter again. But for your viewing pleasure..... There is no escape. Lol.
Ahhh sheeeiit. Im just gonna never look at them again til warranty is up haha. Engine is clean as f tho bro! Way to take care of it!! Also i just got back from my dealer. The dude was too nice and understanding for me to be mad lol. He made me a compromise tho to raise my spirits, said they're cool with whatever catback i wanna put on (they couldnt stress enough how much of a no no this was when i bought it) and he said he'll cover my *** and hide it from ford if any exhaust problems arise. So i left smiling instead... Im too easy lol

Smart decision keepin it off the road for the winter too! From my experience mustangs love to rust in the winter. And now they got that spray **** they put on the roads too. Salt, water, and spray.. Thats a trifecta of bad news.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But you can still make it pretty.
Just don't look at the manifolds. Lmao
Old 09-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahhh sheeeiit. Im just gonna never look at them again til warranty is up haha. Engine is clean as f tho bro! Way to take care of it!! Also i just got back from my dealer. The dude was too nice and understanding for me to be mad lol. He made me a compromise tho to raise my spirits, said they're cool with whatever catback i wanna put on (they couldnt stress enough how much of a no no this was when i bought it) and he said he'll cover my *** and hide it from ford if any exhaust problems arise. So i left smiling instead... Im too easy lol Smart decision keepin it off the road for the winter too! From my experience mustangs love to rust in the winter. And now they got that spray **** they put on the roads too. Salt, water, and spray.. Thats a trifecta of bad news.
I don't have that option
My car I my DD
which means I get a wide A$$ smile every day
Old 09-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I don't have that option My car I my DD which means I get a wide A$$ smile every day
Ya i die a little bit inside knowing that i gotta drive my old car til spring

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

[QUOTE="alrefire;1806944"] I don't have that option My car I my DD which means I get a wide A$$ smile every day[/QUOTE

I die a little bit inside everytime i think about drivin my old car til spring.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Just don't look at the manifolds. Lmao
Lmao thats the plan.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ahhh sheeeiit. Im just gonna never look at them again til warranty is up haha. Engine is clean as f tho bro! Way to take care of it!! Also i just got back from my dealer. The dude was too nice and understanding for me to be mad lol. He made me a compromise tho to raise my spirits, said they're cool with whatever catback i wanna put on (they couldnt stress enough how much of a no no this was when i bought it) and he said he'll cover my *** and hide it from ford if any exhaust problems arise. So i left smiling instead... Im too easy lol

Smart decision keepin it off the road for the winter too! From my experience mustangs love to rust in the winter. And now they got that spray **** they put on the roads too. Salt, water, and spray.. Thats a trifecta of bad news.
Good to hear about catbacks! Headers OK also?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good to hear about catbacks! Headers OK also?
No :'(
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #62
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Hahah you got it. It turned a month old today, those tubes are already lookin like the ones on my 14 yr old eclipse.
A man with a rusty tube...how bad can it get?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #63
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

That's one reason I upgraded! Just a small reason tho.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-958213593.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	504.6 KB
ID:	130372  
CVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
Dude that's a sweet shot of the headers!!!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
I hate you...jokes lmao. nice man! Thats a wicked shot!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #66
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I hate you...jokes lmao. nice man! Thats a wicked shot!
Thanks, goPro3. They are small.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-582284360.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	593.8 KB
ID:	130434  
Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Anybody knows the thread size of the 3.7 headers fastener studs? I appear to have exhaust leakage after the shorty swap. I was looking to get the stage 8 locking bolt. Just don't know the right size.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
No rust here

Your factory cast iron exhaust manifolds will rust and its normal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	130610  
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
No rust here Your factory cast iron exhaust manifolds will rust and its normal.
Yeah ive come to that conclusion. Sad it was this early tho

Nice headers, im jealous!!! Tennessee eh? Maybe ill take a nice long drive and score myself a new set hahaha
Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #70
CVH
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
No rust here

Your factory cast iron exhaust manifolds will rust and its normal.
Ceramic. That's the way to go. I'm also running 4-5 degrees cooler under the hood.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang