First oil change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
First oil change

Hey guys! My baby is coming up on 2600 miles and my dad has been bugging me to get the oil changed. This is my first new car, so i don't have any experience in this. His philosophy is that new motors often put tiny metal shavings into the oil as they break in (something I'd obviously want to remove). But I've also heard of newer cars having magnets in the oil pan to soak that up.

When did yall get your first oil changes? Is my dad's advice old and unnecessary?
Stefown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefown View Post
Hey guys! My baby is coming up on 2600 miles and my dad has been bugging me to get the oil changed. This is my first new car, so i don't have any experience in this. His philosophy is that new motors often put tiny metal shavings into the oil as they break in (something I'd obviously want to remove). But I've also heard of newer cars having magnets in the oil pan to soak that up.

When did yall get your first oil changes? Is my dad's advice old and unnecessary?
Any car.
I always change 2,000-4,000 miles. Period.
Best safe than sorry.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Our cars are made to run 8000 km before needing an oil change. For your first oil change I would do it a little early, after that just follow regular intervals as per ford. Unless it hits the track often your wasting your money changing it way early.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
old & unnecesary but advice I would follow. It probablly ain't needed but IF it prevents any problems it is worth it.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefown View Post

No worry bro, 2,600 miles is a good time to have your first oil change. Just the first one and then longer intervals after that. I had my first change at around 2,300 miles. I'm not sure about any magnet in the pan that pulls out the metal shavings , thats the first I have heard of that one. Lol. I have always been told its good to get the FIRST oil change done under 3,000 miles so it removes all the metal shavings inside.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Rule 1: do what your dad said to do.
Rule 2: see rule 1.

Not too early at 2600. And then follow what the manufacturer recommends. (Notice I did not type, "dealer?")
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I just went to my dealer

My dealer sent me a free oil/filter change so I drove up and had it done at 3,500 miles. I'm happy I went to my dealer because the Oil Change guy went through a long checklist of things to be looked at. He found nothing wrong but did ask me if I had any problems. """NO"" was my answer.

I'll get my next one at 10,000 miles and probably go to full synthetic. My dealer charges $39.95 using Simi-Synthetic and $59.95 to use full synthetic. ( Filter included)

It is a thing I really like to do myself but with some of the health problems I now have it needs to be done by someone I trust. I'm glad I do have a good dealer with good employee's that do their jobs well.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
My dealer sent me a free oil/filter change so I drove up and had it done at 3,500 miles. I'm happy I went to my dealer because the Oil Change guy went through a long checklist of things to be looked at. He found nothing wrong but did ask me if I had any problems. """NO"" was my answer.

I'll get my next one at 10,000 miles and probably go to full synthetic. My dealer charges $39.95 using Simi-Synthetic and $59.95 to use full synthetic. ( Filter included)

Ronnie
+1 Ronnie. When I bought my car I purchased the 5 year free maintenance/warranty package that also includes brakes, clutch etc. Nice to know all I have to do is put gas in it for the next 5 years! All I have to do is drop it off at my awesome ford dealer.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

On the newer models don't you just take it in when the information display on the instrument cluster tells you to? At least that's what the manual says, and it'll save you from trying to remember your intervals. Maybe it's different for the first change though.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
you guys are going to e-flog me for this but.....

first oil change was done at around 2.5k miles
I just changed it with roughly 12.5k on the clock
fully synthetic mobil 1 is great.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My first oil change was at roughly 5k.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Mike

I like going up to my dealers and watching the guy work on my Mustang. My dealer has a quick service building that is seperate from the shop. The oil changes, Tire rotations Etc. are done there while you wait or I guess you can leave your car there and pick it up later. They do have a first class affordable resturant if you need to eat. I just had them rotate my tires at 5,000 miles and the service was just as good as when they did my oil change. When my car was done ( I like to watch ) I got a bite to eat and bought a T-Shirt at the store there and was on my way.
Like I said, This is the kind of stuff I really enjoy doing at home but this stupid Cancer sure put the breaks on me doing things like that anymore. I just don't have the stamina I once had.
Ronnie
Old 09-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:

It is a thing I really like to do myself but with some of the health problems I now have it needs to be done by someone I trust. I'm glad I do have a good dealer with good employee's that do their jobs well.

Ronnie
I use the dealer as well. But I read the owners manual and don't do what they say to all of the time. They say 3k or 3 months for all of my cars. Nope.

Just read your last post. Hang in there Ronnie. Best of luck.
~Al
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like going up to my dealers and watching the guy work on my Mustang. My dealer has a quick service building that is seperate from the shop. The oil changes, Tire rotations Etc. are done there while you wait or I guess you can leave your car there and pick it up later. They do have a first class affordable resturant if you need to eat. I just had them rotate my tires at 5,000 miles and the service was just as good as when they did my oil change. When my car was done ( I like to watch ) I got a bite to eat and bought a T-Shirt at the store there and was on my way.
Like I said, This is the kind of stuff I really enjoy doing at home but this stupid Cancer sure put the breaks on me doing things like that anymore. I just don't have the stamina I once had.
Ronnie
I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. I completely understand how it drains you. Being 39 now but at 37 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer which the cancer cells had spread throughout my lower abdomen area. I was classified as stage 2 and needed 20 rounds of chemotherapy. I had gone 5 days a week for around 5 hours a day of chemotherapy for 4 cycles, 20 rounds. It sucked the chemotherapy but I'm now cancer free and technically in remission for over two years. All healthy now. So hang in there bro. At 70 years of age you got at least 25 more good years. Lol. Then you can get a Buick. Lmao
Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just got to take it easy now

I'm really happy to see you are doing OK. Of course I'm gonna hang in because I sure can't leave my Dogs or want anyone to be driving my Mustang.

In 1999 I had stage five C.O.P.D. and they gave me five years to live. I took my medication and changed my lifestyle. I'm still here. My main cancer was Prostate and the VA treated it with radiation. I was doing fine until about a year ago I started having problems. The Radiation messed up my insides and my bladder. They are working on this now but it takes time and a lot of procedures that really are hard on me now but will make me feel a lot better in the future. Thanks for your encouragement.

I keep telling my friend Shari I'm gonna go back to drinking and Smoking and staying out all night because when I was doing all of that I felt great. Ha! Ha!

These guys keep me going and happy to be alive.

The one one the left is my Mario the Corgi. He is my traveling dog. The one on the right is Oscar. He just moved in with me from by back yard neighbors and stayed.He is a chihuahua - dachshund mix and weighs about 10 pounds now. ( one year old ) He cost me and Mario our vacation $$$ that I saved to go to the American Muscle Mustang show in Pennsylvania. I had to spend the $$$ on his shots and getting him fixed etc. I'm sure you already know what my Mustang looks like, If not you can view my pictures.
I'm happy I'm still driving and can do some car shows and enjoy my Mustang. When I feel good I get up at 4 in the morning and just go for a drive. I love the sound of my Magnaflow's and listen to some 50's or 60's music on my Sirius radio.

Ronnie
Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm really happy to see you are doing OK. Of course I'm gonna hang in because I sure can't leave my Dogs or want anyone to be driving my Mustang.

In 1999 I had stage five C.O.P.D. and they gave me five years to live. I took my medication and changed my lifestyle. I'm still here. My main cancer was Prostate and the VA treated it with radiation. I was doing fine until about a year ago I started having problems. The Radiation mess up my insides and my bladder. They are working on this now but it takes time and a lot of procedures that really are hard on me now but will make me feel a lot better in the future. Thanks for your encouragement.

I keep telling my friend Shari I'm gonna go back to drinking and Smoking and staying out all night because when I was doing all of that I felt great. Ha! Ha!

Ronnie
Lmao. See who says a life full of assorted woman , alcohol and tobacco are bad for ya. Lmao.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Lmao. See who says a life full of assorted woman , alcohol and tobacco are bad for ya. Lmao.
I'll stick with the assorted women :p
Don't believe in putting myself in a weaker state of mind.. But that's just me XD
Love messing with drunk people tho
Old 09-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I'll stick with the assorted women :p
Don't believe in putting myself in a weaker state of mind.. But that's just me XD
Love messing with drunk people tho
Lmao. I hear ya on that.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Lmao. I hear ya on that.
Had one jump in a lake -_-
You can't swim when you're drunk...
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Had one jump in a lake -_- You can't swim when you're drunk...
Challenge accepted

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Challenge accepted
get someone who's not drunk to watch you XD
JS
You're gonna be flailing and sinking... XD
Old 09-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
get someone who's not drunk to watch you XD JS You're gonna be flailing and sinking... XD
I sink pretty easy lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Glad to see this did not turn out to be another oil thread arguement. Good advice was given to the OP.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

good luck ronnie948 those pups are cute & help you with comfort will say a prayer for you
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Glad to see this did not turn out to be another oil thread arguement. Good advice was given to the OP.
+1
like don't swim when you're drunk... LOL
but for the most part good advice was given
Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

How about this idea

Suppose you just drive and never ever change your oil at all. Then with the Money you can save up by not wasting it on oil and filters you can have a good amount saved when you need to buy a new car when the old one won't run at all anymore.

Wow !!! I really might be on to something here.
Other items to eliminate and save money on would be,
Car wash soap along with brushes and cleaning objects.
Wax and related items such as rags.
Air filters along with any other costly maintenance you always did.

If anyone decides to do this I hope you let us all know how it worked out for you.

Ronnie
Old 09-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Suppose you just drive and never ever change your oil at all. Then with the Money you can save up by not wasting it on oil and filters you can have a good amount saved when you need to buy a new car when the old one won't run at all anymore.

Wow !!! I really might be on to something here.
Other items to eliminate and save money on would be,
Car wash soap along with brushes and cleaning objects.
Wax and related items such as rags.
Air filters along with any other costly maintenance you always did.

If anyone decides to do this I hope you let us all know how it worked out for you.

Ronnie
That's my dad's philosophy, when half the plugs foul, it's time to trade.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I change my oil every 6 months which is only 1,800 to 2,700 miles.

Change your oil when ever you want to. I have a cousin that never changed his oil in a Ford Escort he has. He 'never changed the oil', only add when it needed some . Lasted over 120,000 miles before it had a rod start knocking. Just saying..........
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I worked with a guy who also never changed his oil , one day he did I wasn't there but just mud came out the next day the motor knocked then froze up he was a bit of a nut the car looked on the outside great he sold it to a another guy from the same job he just put a rebuilt motor & drove it for years ! TRUE STORY
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I told you all

Quote:
Wow !!! I really might be on to something here
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang