Ford sync - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Ford sync

Hey everyone,

I upgraded my sync from version 3.11 to 3.14 at the dealer. Before doing it I called ford and they said I need a sync upgrade. Problem is once I went to pick up my car I was charged $100!!! For labor. Shouldn't this be free? I wouldn't have done it if I knew I had to pay.

What can I do now? Dealership told me it was not a recall on the car so they can't give it to me for free, was told to call ford since there is nothin they can do.

Any ideas what I should do?
Mustang240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone ever upgraded their sync? If so how much were you charged?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang240 View Post
Hey everyone, I upgraded my sync from version 3.11 to 3.14 at the dealer. Before doing it I called ford and they said I need a sync upgrade. Problem is once I went to pick up my car I was charged $100!!! For labor. Shouldn't this be free? I wouldn't have done it if I knew I had to pay. What can I do now? Dealership told me it was not a recall on the car so they can't give it to me for free, was told to call ford since there is nothin they can do. Any ideas what I should do?
You can update sync yourself with a thumb drive.

So because you went to the dealer and asked them to do it... They charged. Albeit a ridiculous amount that should have been disclosed prior to doing it... Lesson here is to ask how much it costs before leaving the keys. Surprised they didn't have you sign something about a quote first.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
no but mine since I updated to ios7 won't change songs now thru the steering wheel? maybe I need an update also?
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
no but mine since I updated to ios7 won't change songs now thru the steering wheel? maybe I need an update also?
Actually even after the update I can't change the songs through the steering wheel.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually even after the update I can't change the songs through the steering wheel.
i can't even double click home while the phone is locked to change the song either, have to unlock and go thru iTunes now as well -____-
Old 09-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well there is your problem, you have an iPhone.lol
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Well there is your problem, you have an iPhone.lol
must own android
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
must own android
+1, when will society learn.lol
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

My dealer updated my sync for free when I was under warranty.

Sync is still garbage. The only thing I hate about my car.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
My dealer updated my sync for free when I was under warranty.

Sync is still garbage. The only thing I hate about my car.
Most of the car reviews for the Mustang loved the car, but also hated Sync.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Wait why do you guys not like sync?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My Sync us terrible. I would say that it doesn't work more than it does. Sometimes it doesn't recognize what I am saying. Sometimes it will not play music or will stop in the middle. Sometimes bluetooth doesn't work for my phone. Usually these problems will build until I finally get the Index Full message. I can usually then do a master reset and but myself a couple days but eventually it will stop working completely and then I have to pull the fuse.

I have also owned a Dodge and an Acura with voice recognition and the were both infinitely more reliable.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
My Sync us terrible. I would say that it doesn't work more than it does. Sometimes it doesn't recognize what I am saying. Sometimes it will not play music or will stop in the middle. Sometimes bluetooth doesn't work for my phone. Usually these problems will build until I finally get the Index Full message. I can usually then do a master reset and but myself a couple days but eventually it will stop working completely and then I have to pull the fuse. I have also owned a Dodge and an Acura with voice recognition and the were both infinitely more reliable.
I've always just connected to Bluetooth and played my music and Answered my phone calls through it but never tried the voice recognition. Never had a problem doing that. The sync is probably my favorite premium feature.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Updates for sync are free and you do them yourself. Just saying.....
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Updates for sync are free and you do them yourself. Just saying.....
I've never updated mine. What does it add
Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to brandonveiga Send a message via Skype™ to brandonveiga
You should have an account at ford.com/syncmyride This will allow you to view and update your sync version via usb flash drive. I do however agree that 100$ for the 5 minutes of time it would have taken them to do this is outrageous but i'm sure they round up to the nearest hour. My dad used to work in the garage at a Ford dealership.

That being said, I'm surprised to hear you guys have so many complaints about Sync. I absolutely love mine. Of course i also have an android phone, not an iCrap. That may help.

As Jeremy Clarkson would say: POWEEERRRRR
brandonveiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonveiga View Post
You should have an account at ford.com/syncmyride This will allow you to view and update your sync version via usb flash drive. I do however agree that 100$ for the 5 minutes of time it would have taken them to do this is outrageous but i'm sure they round up to the nearest hour. My dad used to work in the garage at a Ford dealership. That being said, I'm surprised to hear you guys have so many complaints about Sync. I absolutely love mine. Of course i also have an android phone, not an iCrap. That may help.
fandroid
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonveiga View Post
You should have an account at ford.com/syncmyride This will allow you to view and update your sync version via usb flash drive. I do however agree that 100$ for the 5 minutes of time it would have taken them to do this is outrageous but i'm sure they round up to the nearest hour. My dad used to work in the garage at a Ford dealership. That being said, I'm surprised to hear you guys have so many complaints about Sync. I absolutely love mine. Of course i also have an android phone, not an iCrap. That may help.
I've used both Android and iOS on sync and don't see a difference between them. No fanboy bias here
Old 09-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
fandroid
Ish/t. Lol. Nothing like spending another 500+ on a near identical phone from the previous model......oh wait they did come out with that fancy new finger print scanner that has already been hacked! Nothing like using your finger print as a security measure! Lmao. Better wipe your phone clean every time you put it in you pocket! "Roll eyes" Oh wait let's make a gold one also! Wow! I'm sold here's my $$$$$.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ish/t. Lol. Nothing like spending another 500+ on a near identical phone from the previous model......oh wait they did come out with that fancy new finger print scanner that has already been hacked! Nothing like using your finger print as a security measure! Lmao. Better wipe your phone clean every time you put it in you pocket! "Roll eyes" Oh wait let's make a gold one also! Wow! I'm sold here's my $$$$$.
500$+ ..... are you high? I've spent nothing near that amount for any iPhone I've purchased so you can edit that. why you so angry? mad you don't have an iPhone? no one here is hating on your phone so go cry elsewhere about how much better your phone isn't. you sound like a middle schooler arguing who's phone is better......

also the fingerprint is an option, don't have to do it.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
500$+ ..... are you high? I've spent nothing near that amount for any iPhone I've purchased so you can edit that. why you so angry? mad you don't have an iPhone? no one here is hating on your phone so go cry elsewhere about how much better your phone isn't. you sound like a middle schooler arguing who's phone is better......

also the fingerprint is an option, don't have to do it.
You should first get your pricing facts straight. Apple.com iPhone 5s start at 719$ and go to 900$, So you must b the one high! Hey if you want to pay more for less that's your business, but a phone with those specs and features are nowhere near worth that kind of money except to apple fanboys! Sorry op I won't highjack anymore.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should first get your pricing facts straight. Apple.com iPhone 5s start at 719$ and go to 900$. Hey if you want to pay more for less that's your business, but a phone with those specs and features are nowhere near worth that kind of money except to apple fanboys!
....... who on earth goes into an apple stores and pays retail? I've upgraded every iPhone I have had probably like the other 90% of iPhone owners. I would NEVER spend 500$+ on a phone let alone 700-900$. stop acting like mr know it all. spend your money on whatever you please like I will. good day.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

....... who on earth goes into an apple stores and pays retail? I've upgraded every iPhone I have had probably like the other 90% of iPhone owners. I would NEVER spend 500$+ on a phone let alone 700-900$. stop acting like mr know it all. spend your money on whatever you please like I will. good day.
Sure upgrade and pay a nice high monthly bill. Do you somehow think you get your phone cheaper through an upgrade? Rolleyes Up grade to a new iPhone than get out of your contract 60 days after your new contract starts! Surprise you have to pay for the phone! Its the same for any phone you choose not just an iPhone. Do you think you get it for free or something? Wake up!!! Done
Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sure upgrade and pay a nice high monthly bill. Do you somehow think you get your phone cheaper through an upgrade? Rolleyes Up grade to a new iPhone than get out of your contract 60 days after your new contract starts! Surprise you have to pay for the phone! Its the same for any phone you choose not just an iPhone. Do you think you get it for free or something? Wake up!!! Done
....... best part of being a customer since the first iPhone Is I DONT GET THAT! I pay my monthly unlimited bill of 60$ for unlimited everything. an I get nothing for free? I'm still paying 399$ for a 64GB black iPhone 5s WITH MY UPGRADE. selling my 4s for 300$. so I'm paying 100$ for a 5s. sounds terrible to me eh!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

....... k keep arguing why your phone is " better " while I continue to not care and continue to own my iPhone. have a good one
BTW android is not just one phone, its an OS that many phone companies use, so I'm in no way implying that "my phone" is better just to make it clear.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
I've never updated mine. What does it add
Should make it work better. I don't have any trouble with mine, i'm not going to update mine. My wife did the newest update for sync on our 2013 Edge, now she is having trouble losing the 'voice' function. I'm going to skip this update, for now...
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I don't understand all the people, and the magazines, having problems with Sync. I haven't had problems with my Mustang, my wife's Lincoln, and now my used Mariner I picked up for commuting. The only thing is sometimes you have to learn how sync mis-pronounces some words. Once you learn that and say it the way the "sync lady" wants it works fine.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Got people raggin on iPhones but my wife's Galaxy S3 won't read messages with Sync from 2008. Makes sense iPhones have trouble since Sync says Microsoft on it. It's a conspiracy. My Galaxy S3 works perfect reading and sending text with an after market Bluetooth called Blue Logic. As for computers I'll take an iMac over a PofC any day.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Well MY Sync, which has never been updated, works jut fine. I have an iPhone (4S), which has also never caused problems, and everything still works with Sync, even after the iOS7 update. Guess I'm just lucky. *shrug*
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I too have never had an issue with the sync software...It's a real nice thing to have IMO. I use the iPhone 4s with it.
BlueApollo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:53 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Sync is a awesome setup. The only thing that could make it better is if it could handle voice command on my iPod. I use my 80gb iPod Classic which I just leave plugged in. Sync treats it like a hard drive, but that bioatch reminds me on start up every time that voice command won't work because I have too many damn songs.....LOL
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My dealer updated SYNC a couple of times on my Focus ST and I was never charged for it (though my dad has updated his numerous times on his Focus with a thumb drive). I know there's a newer version of the SYNC software for my Mustang, but it works perfectly and having been in IT for 20+ years that means it doesn't get updated.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang