Help With Leather Steering Wheel - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Hey guys. My steering wheel is starting to crack in one place. I haven't put any chemicals on it. I used Armor-All Leather Care on my previous mustang, but it appears that the Internets general opinion is against armor all so I switched to meguiars to clean my dash (my seats are cloth)
So question is, what do you guys recommend to use on my steering wheel to prevent the cracks from spreading?

Edit: This probably should have gone under general or detailing. Sorry for putting it here!
TheBlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackStang View Post
Hey guys. My steering wheel is starting to crack in one place. I haven't put any chemicals on it. I used Armor-All Leather Care on my previous mustang, but it appears that the Internets general opinion is against armor all so I switched to meguiars to clean my dash (my seats are cloth) So question is, what do you guys recommend to use on my steering wheel to prevent the cracks from spreading? Edit: This probably should have gone under general or detailing. Sorry for putting it here!
If you live where it is regularly around 100 then the only thing your could do is get a windshield cover that goes inside for when your not driving and and use armor all for a little but of protection. It's like here is South Georgia when over time the heat will actually melt dash boards, it's just sorta what happens.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I do have a windshield cover that goes up if it's going to be sitting for more than an hour or 2
So you would recommend armor all?
Just the general protectant or the leather care?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I only use a damp shammy to clean my dash, steering wheel etc. I use no chemicals whatsoever on my interior.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The only time I will use a chemical is if something gets spilled or stained.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Carpet dash cover

I bought this the day after I got my Mustang,

It is a form fitting carpet dash cover made for the 197 Mustangs. It fits great and stops the Florida sun from destroying my dash.
So far I have not used anything on my steering wheel but I guess I should. I do have the sun shade that fits my Mustang and it sure gets hot enough to burn your fingers when removing it from the windshield on a hot sunny Florida day when parked for a long time.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've read varying opinions on leather care for our cars. Apparently the leather seating area is plastic coated, so 303 aerospace protectant works well. Not sure if the steering wheel is also plastic coated. I've also heard many good things about Lexol leather protectant/conditioner (brown bottle). Personally I use both. Condition with Lexol (some say plastic coating prevents it from being absorbed) and follow with 303. Hope that helps.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Hey guys. My steering wheel is starting to crack in one place. I haven't put any chemicals on it. I used Armor-All Leather Care on my previous mustang, but it appears that the Internets general opinion is against armor all so I switched to meguiars to clean my dash (my seats are cloth)
So question is, what do you guys recommend to use on my steering wheel to prevent the cracks from spreading?

Edit: This probably should have gone under general or detailing. Sorry for putting it here!
Isn't your car still under warranty? I use Meguiars Gold Class™ Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Pump.

Years ago I had a shifter handle for a 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix go bad. It was leather and cracking. I went to the dealer to order another one, $214.00. I wouldn't want to guess on how much a leather steering wheel would cost.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all of the replies guys!
That's neat Ronnie, do you leave it on all the time or just when it's sitting?
I haven't seen any leather care products by meguiars, otherwise that's what I would be using!
Yes my car is under warranty, but cracking leather wouldn't be covered would it?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My dash cover just stays on all of the time.

It form fits the dash and actually looks good. After this first year I do notice it is starting to fade a little. I guess that means it's doing the job of protecting my dash from fading.
I put a small Velcro tab on the bottom of my Radar detector and sun-glass case and they stick like glue to the carpet cover.

AM don't sell them so I got mine at www.drivingcomfort.com
If you decide to order one be sure to get the one for your Mustang. When you sign in to Driving Comfort you need to put in the year and model of your car. Then when you place the order you want "CUSTOM FIT" http://www.drivingcomfort.com/dash-mat/dash-mat2.cfm

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have the carpet dqsh cover as well. Here in the desert, heat and direct sun kill interiors. I also use sunshades, window tint including a strip on the windshield which is all uv repellent and crack your windows a tiny bit if u can too to let the heat out. When u pull into the garage if u have one. Do tue same. Let the heat escape. I even pop my hood when parked in the garage to let the heat out. Did that in NJ too when I lived there.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey guys. My steering wheel is starting to crack in one place. I haven't put any chemicals on it. I used Armor-All Leather Care on my previous mustang, but it appears that the Internets general opinion is against armor all so I switched to meguiars to clean my dash (my seats are cloth) So question is, what do you guys recommend to use on my steering wheel to prevent the cracks from spreading? Edit: This probably should have gone under general or detailing. Sorry for putting it here!
If you got some heat shield tint always park your car with its *** facing the sun (or atleast where it will be when its hottest)

Armor-all is no good cuz itll dry out rubber and plastic pieces. Ive been told to use vaseline instead cuz it keeps the water in and will give whatever you use it on a nice shine.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I only use a damp shammy to clean my dash, steering wheel etc. I use no chemicals whatsoever on my interior.
+1000

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Replace it with a grant steering wheel and lube it up with vaseline

http://www.americanmuscle.com/grant-...-red-1011.html
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies guys!
That's neat Ronnie, do you leave it on all the time or just when it's sitting?
I haven't seen any leather care products by meguiars, otherwise that's what I would be using!
Yes my car is under warranty, but cracking leather wouldn't be covered would it?
Sure it would. Did you bother to read your warranty after you purchased your car?

You don't wear a ring on your finger were the cracking is located?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

No I didn't read the warranty...
No I don't wear rings, and I don't hold the wheel where it's cracking
Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

For all leather, I use Lexol. My seats, steering wheel, E-brake handle and shifter boot have never cracked or weathered.

STAY AWAY from any cleaners that are alcohol based (such as armor all), as alcohol based products will dry out leather, plastics and vinyl.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang