New onwner in need of advice! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
New onwner in need of advice!

* also posted in general discussion *Hey everyone I just bought a 2014 Mustang about 2 weeks ago ( Standard V6) with the tech. And appearance packages on it with 5 miles on it when it was at the dealership! It now has a little over 500 miles on it now, I have read the manual cover to cover and still have some questions that were not answered plus a few questions of my own so I'm hoping all of the Mustang vets on here can help me out! 1) I want to keep this car in excellent shape as I plan to never sell it, but I also want to be able to have some fun with it and race it around a little bit! The manual says to give the engine about 1000 miles to break in before excessive use of the engine at higher revs! Is this long enough or do I need to break it in more? 2) the manual only tells me how to shift economically, what amount of revs should I shift at normally? Dealership said 3500 rpms but they couldn't answer a lot of my questions so I'm looking for help on here! 3) right now I'm using Meguairs car wash and wax along with their hot shine for tires. I'm not great at the whole waxing, washing, and drying process yet! However is the wax put in the wash okay to put on my trim such as in between the hood and the windshield? And on the windows? 4) best ways and tips to keep my car looking brand new on the inside and outside? 5) after the engine is properly broken in what is the highest you guys would safely take it rpm wise when racing? that's all I can think of for the moment! Any other advice you guys have for me that I'm not asking for above would be greatly appreciated!
ArlingtonStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
7500 rpm or bust!!!! Lol congrats on your ride
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
after 1k miles you can safely get on it, I'm assuming that you know if you beat on it all the time it ain't good but doing it every so often is good. With the 3.31 in mine I cruise at 2k, for shifting 1-2 =3500 2-3 = 3000 unless I'm getting on it. The 3.7 really comes alive after 4k! you need to go out now and wind it out to the top of 3rd it's a hoot! I also suggest changing your oil the 1st time at about 3k (other may have differant opinions). I like Turtle Wax Ice but once again differant folks will give other opinions. I see yours is a 14, on the older 11/12's there is a lot of black plastic trim which most waxs will stain the Ice is designed to go right on top of it.

Enjoy

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

don't forget the narrow L/R gates on the shifter, it takes time to learn...use the centering springs for 3/4 and compensate for them when going from 1 to 2 and 6 to 5...practice your 5th to 4th (or 3rd) down shift for two lane blacktop passing moves
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonStang View Post
* also posted in general discussion *Hey everyone I just bought a 2014 Mustang about 2 weeks ago ( Standard V6) with the tech. And appearance packages on it with 5 miles on it when it was at the dealership! It now has a little over 500 miles on it now, I have read the manual cover to cover and still have some questions that were not answered plus a few questions of my own so I'm hoping all of the Mustang vets on here can help me out! 1) I want to keep this car in excellent shape as I plan to never sell it, but I also want to be able to have some fun with it and race it around a little bit! The manual says to give the engine about 1000 miles to break in before excessive use of the engine at higher revs! Is this long enough or do I need to break it in more? 2) the manual only tells me how to shift economically, what amount of revs should I shift at normally? Dealership said 3500 rpms but they couldn't answer a lot of my questions so I'm looking for help on here! 3) right now I'm using Meguairs car wash and wax along with their hot shine for tires. I'm not great at the whole waxing, washing, and drying process yet! However is the wax put in the wash okay to put on my trim such as in between the hood and the windshield? And on the windows? 4) best ways and tips to keep my car looking brand new on the inside and outside? 5) after the engine is properly broken in what is the highest you guys would safely take it rpm wise when racing? that's all I can think of for the moment! Any other advice you guys have for me that I'm not asking for above would be greatly appreciated!
First congrats on the buy!!! Some questions I kinda don't know how to answer except you'll find out yourself. I shift normally around 2500 rpms or 3000 depending on my mood or traffic. I was easy on my car for like 900 miles then I kinda banged on it kinda often. After your lil easy drivin for break in. And when I race it (on the track) I max it out! 7grand!!! Lol. I'm not much into detailing my car. But I do try and keep her clean as possible. I just use a spray wax after each rinse. And she shines just great!! This is after my rinse and quick spray wax.

Oh and FYI. Get a shifter bracket to replace the crappy rubber one!! Your shifts will be way more crisper and no missing gears!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2026253696.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	669.8 KB
ID:	131289  
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Oh and I forgot to mention get a MGW
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Oh and I forgot to mention get a MGW
+100!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
7500 rpm or bust!!!! Lol congrats on your ride
LOL! You read my mind!

When racing if i really want to beat who I'm racing ill rev every gear out to 7500. It makes about a mile and a half difference in speed.
I went to the track and tested it out. 80.5 mph shifting at 6500. 81.7 mph shifting at 7500 rpm. That's not a small difference.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
after 1k miles you can safely get on it, I'm assuming that you know if you beat on it all the time it ain't good but doing it every so often is good. With the 3.31 in mine I cruise at 2k, for shifting 1-2 =3500 2-3 = 3000 unless I'm getting on it. The 3.7 really comes alive after 4k! you need to go out now and wind it out to the top of 3rd it's a hoot! I also suggest changing your oil the 1st time at about 3k (other may have differant opinions). I like Turtle Wax Ice but once again differant folks will give other opinions. I see yours is a 14, on the older 11/12's there is a lot of black plastic trim which most waxs will stain the Ice is designed to go right on top of it. Enjoy ---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ---------- don't forget the narrow L/R gates on the shifter, it takes time to learn...use the centering springs for 3/4 and compensate for them when going from 1 to 2 and 6 to 5...practice your 5th to 4th (or 3rd) down shift for two lane blacktop passing moves
understand everything up until the narrow L/R gates if you could explain please! I'm new to all of the car terminology!

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Also any tips or things to use/do to keep the engine, engine bay, and other parts under the hood looking clean and brand new?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Is it safe for first gear to be doing 7k rpms?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
understand everything up until the narrow L/R gates if you could explain please! I'm new to all of the car terminology!
I believe his is referring to how close the gears are first and third and second and fourth. There isn't much gap between them.

Quote:
Is it safe for first gear to be doing 7k rpms?
It is after your engine has been broken in. Ford says 1,000 miles. I would let it go a bit longer than that, 1,500 - 2,000 miles at least. I just turned over 2,100 miles on my car and have only hit 7,000 rpm a small number of times (less than 10).
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I believe his is referring to how close the gears are first and third and second and fourth. There isn't much gap between them. It is after your engine has been broken in. Ford says 1,000 miles. I would let it go a bit longer than that, 1,500 - 2,000 miles at least. I just turned over 2,100 miles on my car and have only hit 7,000 rpm a small number of times (less than 10).
makes sense now that you say that thanks!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
that's it....I find when shifting from 2 to 3 to just push the lever forward and let the centering spring do it's job...if you aim for it it's easy to get what is called gate blocked. For going from 1 to 2 keep pressure to the left or it's easy to hit 4th (embarresing in a race) for the passing down shift if you are in 4th just push forward and you'll hit third, if you are in 5th and want to hit third just pull the shifter back then push it forward. Be aware of the opposite when exiting the hwy if you are in 6th and just push forward you'll hit 3rd...it ain't good. You have to compensate for the spring by keeping pressure to the right. I find it to be fussy but practice can be fun....I do the 5th to 3rd at least once a week just for the pull you can get in no time in 3rd gear in these V6's it is amazing what Ford has done with 3.7 liters....

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Engine I'm not real fussy, I keep it servicable clean by spraying a cold/stopped motor with a 30% Simple Green mix than spraying with water...avoid soaking the electrical bits but motors are somewhat waterproof. I did/do wax under there 1x year if I can...the other part I wax occasionally is inside door jambs/trunk and more importantlly rims...do several coats on the inside when you rotate tires.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang