Rear axle removal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Rear axle removal?

Long story short I need to remove the rear axle to change the rear caliper bracket. And to take the axle out I need to open the differential cover to take the c clamp out. I've never done differential work before so I am wondering how difficult is it? And if it's really necessary to go to the professionals? ( I already have all the brake fluid, gears oil and friction modifier)

I recently changed the wheels and front brakes. Now I have to do something about the puny rotors and calipers in the back!
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
To change the brakes and calipers all you have to do is remove the wheels, not the entire axle, if I understand your question right. But iihs.net/fsm has the ford service manual in pdf form it should be under 2011/workshop manual/driveline or araound there, website has helped me out many times

Update
Here is a direct link to the entire axle assembly workshop manual
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=752
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychink View Post
Long story short I need to remove the rear axle to change the rear caliper bracket. And to take the axle out I need to open the differential cover to take the c clamp out. I've never done differential work before so I am wondering how difficult is it? And if it's really necessary to go to the professionals? ( I already have all the brake fluid, gears oil and friction modifier) I recently changed the wheels and front brakes. Now I have to do something about the puny rotors and calipers in the back!

How much is your car lowered? And what springs/kit do you have?
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
To change the brakes and calipers all you have to do is remove the wheels, not the entire axle, if I understand your question right. But iihs.net/fsm has the ford service manual in pdf form it should be under 2011/workshop manual/driveline or araound there, website has helped me out many times

Update
Here is a direct link to the entire axle assembly workshop manual
Ford Service Manuals - SECTION 205-02 [Rear Drive Axle Differential-Ford 8.8 Inch Ring Gear]
Thanks for the link to the workshop manual. I have a different rear caliper bracket that needed to be put on and unfortunately the caliper bracket is bolted on behind the axle. So looks like I have to take it out. I do have the manual on how to do it but just wondering if this is something I should mess with myself or get it done professionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
How much is your car lowered? And what springs/kit do you have?
I have the Steeda Pro-Action Shocks & Structs and the SR Performance Lowering Springs. The springs are advertised as 1.5" drop
crazychink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychink View Post
Thanks for the link to the workshop manual. I have a different rear caliper bracket that needed to be put on and unfortunately the caliper bracket is bolted on behind the axle. So looks like I have to take it out. I do have the manual on how to do it but just wondering if this is something I should mess with myself or get it done professionally.
Its not hard at all, I replaced my axle with jackstands, all you have to do is remove the diffcover and then remove the pinion shaft, pull the c clips and the axle slides out
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang