eibach lowering spring problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Region: New York
eibach lowering spring problem

i installed eibach's sportline lowering springs in my 2013 mustang and after about 5 months my cars driveshaft is now making a whining, rotational noise. The dealership is blaming it on the lowering causing an angle change with the driveshaft and differential and now they're trying to rape me with repair costs. Anyone have knowedge of this problem and what needs to b done!?
jeremysuarez94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
take the sprigs off and try another dealer
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Did you install an adjustable panhard bar as well? That's like a must if you do at least a spring swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
+1 if you want to dodge this time's fees but you really need to take the right precautions when lowering a vehicle, it's more than just springs.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
i dont have the OEM springs so idk if it will be worth buying and having them installed

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Did you install an adjustable panhard bar as well? That's like a must if you do at least a spring swap.

+1 if you want to dodge this time's fees but you really need to take the right precautions when lowering a vehicle, it's more than just springs.
No, i didnt know there had to be other adjustments, if i get the problem fixed do i need that to prevent the problem from happening again?
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysuarez94 View Post
i dont have the OEM springs so idk if it will be worth buying and having them installed ---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ---------- No, i didnt know there had to be other adjustments, if i get the problem fixed do i need that to prevent the problem from happening again?
when you lower the car with springs you throw the alignment and other things outta whack and the adj panhard bar and some lower control arms bring it back to place
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also, on lower-mileage vehicles you can get away with just installing new springs and a panhard bar, but there are other things to do the job right.

There's caster camber bolts/plates, shocks and struts, and upper and lower control arms. Those combined with the first two mentioned items, you'll be able to lower the vehicle properly without having future problems like you did, and also negate the harsher ride conditions of lowering springs. It's been a while since I've talked ab suspension, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm off.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Panhard

Yes you need adj. panhard bar to re-center. I did just the rear springs and needed the panhard
to move the rear 1/2 inch to passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Razor rims 003.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	131613  
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
Yes you need adj. panhard bar to re-center. I did just the rear springs and needed the panhard to move the rear 1/2 inch to passenger side.
Is that for lowering more than 1.5 or do you still need the pan hard bar and caster camber ?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Is that for lowering more than 1.5 or do you still need the pan hard bar and caster camber ?
Any modifications done to the suspension will require an adj panhard bar. If you're dropping 1.5+ inches CC bolts at the very least will be needed, but I think plates are just a better investment.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I also installed BMR lca's & Whiteline lowering brackets. I am waiting to do the front when my dampners wear out.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Rough start to a mod to the suspension. Too late for the OP, but anyone reading this post, learn by it. Always best to do additional homework and find out everything that needs to be looked at, replaced, or other areas that are affected prior to making a purchase and installing. This is going to be a costly repair to the OP, as he will end up replacing the driveshaft, and then upgrading the rest of the suspension to prevent the driveshaft failure again.

Thanks for sharing the unfortunate problem you experienced, but at least others can learn from it.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Rough start to a mod to the suspension. Too late for the OP, but anyone reading this post, learn by it. Always best to do additional homework and find out everything that needs to be looked at, replaced, or other areas that are affected prior to making a purchase and installing. This is going to be a costly repair to the OP, as he will end up replacing the driveshaft, and then upgrading the rest of the suspension to prevent the driveshaft failure again.

Thanks for sharing the unfortunate problem you experienced, but at least others can learn from it.
Thanks for all the help guys! I took my car to another for dealer and the service advisor covered everything under warranty idk y! ill now buy all the additional parts needed to prevent future problems. Learn from my messup and do your hw lol
Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Similar issue. Rear end and stock ds make all kinds of noise and recently I blew a pinion seal. My car is a 2013 manual. Lowered 1.5" rear and about 2" in front. I did springs, shocks, struts, strut mounts, and adj phb all at the same time. What I did NOT get was an adj upper control arm to correct the pinion angle. Lowers are not needed by the way. Only lower relocation brackets to correct the angle after lowering.
I have an adj upper ca in now and have the pinion angle set rite. Still sounds like crap! Ford is refusing to work on it because of mods. Even tho they worked on it twice already witch the same stuff already on it. The last time it went in (different dealer) an engineer came out and said it was because my pinion angle is out of spec. He noted that on my vin so I'm screwed. Gonna have to fix this one my self.
So far the stock ds had been replaced along with ring and pinion (by ford) and the noises only got worse. I'm taking it to a speed shop to see what they say? A 1 piece ds may have to be put in if I want to keep it lowered. If not the stock springs have to go back in
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
If ford was able to get rid of the noise what did they replace? Mine has made noise ever since the springs went in. I've narrowed the noise down to either being the stock ds or pinion bearings? The stock ds takes on a "v" like shape at the center section once the car is lowered. I can't find ANY solid info at all! Several ppl say to set up the pinion angle several different ways. I don't see how pinion angle being off slightly would effect the pinion bearings on these cars with a stock 2 pcs ds?
I should also note that I have ZERO vibration. The only time ive noticed any vibration is when I tried out the WL trans mount bushing. The vibration was so bad on acceleration that I quickly removed it.
Let me know if you can what ford says and replaces
2013 5.0 m6 base 3.31's tint 20in Shelby razors 255/35/20 falken fk 452's koni srt.t's sr springs j&m phb gt500 mounts upr rear billet lower ca's upr brackets upr adjustable upper ca flowmaster at classics steeda cat deletes airaid cai premium st brace jlt catch can MGW shifter and blk ball. Currently bama tuned 400hp 383tq. Zex blackout kit w/msd digital window switch, fpss, zex bottle heater, bottle opener, blow down, and purge with a dyno tune coming soon..
ddinn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddinn25 View Post
If ford was able to get rid of the noise what did they replace? Mine has made noise ever since the springs went in. I've narrowed the noise down to either being the stock ds or pinion bearings? The stock ds takes on a "v" like shape at the center section once the car is lowered. I can't find ANY solid info at all! Several ppl say to set up the pinion angle several different ways. I don't see how pinion angle being off slightly would effect the pinion bearings on these cars with a stock 2 pcs ds?
I should also note that I have ZERO vibration. The only time ive noticed any vibration is when I tried out the WL trans mount bushing. The vibration was so bad on acceleration that I quickly removed it.
Let me know if you can what ford says and replaces
My car is currently back in service for another sound similar to the first one that they fixed. When they originally fixed the sound they rebuilt the whole differential, i looked it up and it was over 1000$ in parts alone. i dont have the receipt handy so i cant quote exactly what it was. After they fixed it the sound was gone for about a day but a new sound came back and my cars been in service for 2 weeks and they havent been able to figure out whats wrong. Im wondering if its the whole pinion angle thing and needing a upper control arm, but ive been to two mustang tuning spoys in L.I (Mustang Magic; Real Speed Automotive) and they both insist that an upper control arm is unnecesary so now idk if i should purchase that or not...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang