Exhaust installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Exhaust installation

S it really that hard to install an axle back? I know the basics but from all the video iv seen its hard to take stock muffler off.. I dont want to messed up my new 13. By the way i got the borla touring since i dont want it to be too loud. What u guys think? Or should i just go to the shop. They will charge 100 bucks..
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I did my roush axle back myself with no experience. The stock units are a pain in the *** to get off, but I enjoyed doing it. Be prepared for a few bloody knuckles though.
- Roush Axle-back Exhaust
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
GBMustang13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMustang13 View Post
I did my roush axle back myself with no experience. The stock units are a pain in the *** to get off, but I enjoyed doing it. Be prepared for a few bloody knuckles though.
how did u get the stock muffler to off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

just loosen the clamp at the midpipe, then lots of pulling and tugging on the hangers. also lots of swearing.
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
just loosen the clamp at the midpipe, then lots of pulling and tugging on the hangers. also lots of swearing.
holy crap.. This is what i am afraid off , what i cant pull them out. Its new so it should be to take them off.. Will see when i get the package tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gotta hit the gym then
Old 10-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I spent probably 2 hours total, part of that was lack of experience so i got one of the stock mufflers jammed that i had to figure out how to un-jam. so it may be worth the $100 to you for time, effort, frustration, peace of mind, etc...

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

I wanted to do it so i was familiar with it. and it makes it feel more like "your" car when you do your own mods.
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I spent probably 2 hours total, part of that was lack of experience so i got one of the stock mufflers jammed that i had to figure out how to un-jam. so it may be worth the $100 to you for time, effort, frustration, peace of mind, etc... ---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ---------- I wanted to do it so i was familiar with it. and it makes it feel more like "your" car when you do your own mods.
i know.. Maybe i will try it first, if it doesnt come out then will go to the shop . Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The first one i did i spent 90 minutes on. the next one took 30 because i knew what i was doing on that one. also, i did it without jacking the car up, so if you have a jack all the better
- Airaid CAI
- 20% Tint
Old 10-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The first one i did i spent 90 minutes on. the next one took 30 because i knew what i was doing on that one. also, i did it without jacking the car up, so if you have a jack all the better
wowww.. How did u fit in there? Did u use wd40? Can u tell me the trick to take old stock off?

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Gotta hit the gym then
yeah i know i stopped a year ago gotta think about going back again.. Gotta find a gym that has a huge parking lot lol..
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
S it really that hard to install an axle back? I know the basics but from all the video iv seen its hard to take stock muffler off.. I dont want to messed up my new 13. By the way i got the borla touring since i dont want it to be too loud. What u guys think? Or should i just go to the shop. They will charge 100 bucks..
It took me about an hour. Everything the others said is true. It can be done. Just take your time. Makes you feel good about when you work on your own car. But if you wanna pay someone that's just as good. Lol.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
It took me about an hour. Everything the others said is true. It can be done. Just take your time. Makes you feel good about when you work on your own car. But if you wanna pay someone that's just as good. Lol.
yeah i think i will do them myself and save the money for something else..
Old 10-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I did mine a few weeks ago and it was pretty straight forward. I went to O'riley's and picked up a set of hanger pliers that made the job 1000 times easier ( I'll post a picture of them when I get back home). Make sure the exhaust is cool and spray the ball clamp bolts with some penetrating spray. Should take you an hour
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I just unbolted the hangers, and broke the weld once I had the mufflers out from under my car, then you can hang the borlas easily and just bolt the hangers back on and tighten the clamps back.

You may have to loosen the midpipe and rotate them a bit, I had to because Pypes don't fit '13s as well, but that's an easy step too.

Good luck!
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys wish me luck... Il do them on the weekend..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Use brake cleaner on the hangers, it won't damage the rubber bushing and you can slide the hangers right out. I did mine in under an hour with no jack stands or without a jack.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Use brake cleaner on the hangers, it won't damage the rubber bushing and you can slide the hangers right out. I did mine in under an hour with no jack stands or without a jack.
my only concern is how to get the stock muffler out and how did u do it? Did u put any wd40 or something?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
my only concern is how to get the stock muffler out and how did u do it? Did u put any wd40 or something?
The hardest part, and its not hard, is sliding the stock muffler hangers out of their holders. There is a knob on the end of the hanger that will be hard to push through, I used brake cleaner and sprayed the hell out of them "rubber hanger holder" and slide the hangers out. It was really quick and easy,
Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The hardest part, and its not hard, is sliding the stock muffler hangers out of their holders. There is a knob on the end of the hanger that will be hard to push through, I used brake cleaner and sprayed the hell out of them "rubber hanger holder" and slide the hangers out. It was really quick and easy,
ok thank you i will do this..
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok thank you i will do this..
NP, hope it goes smoothly! BTW nice choice going with borla!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah i got the borla touring i hope i will like the sound i didnt go to stype since im not into too loud exhaust.. Is anybody here have the same set up? How do u like them?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hey mike i just realized youre from montreal, will be going there this saturday in quebic st. Hippolyte. Can u help me install my axle back exhaust pls.. Lol.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Use Dish Washing Soap on the hangers

Dish washing soap works excellent and the hangers will slip out of the rubber very easy. The soap will not harm anything and will just go away all by itself.

I have a 2012 and when I removed the clamp I found Ford had a tach weld on the stock mufflers. I used a small grinder to cut it and smooth the flange out. I don't know if Ford still does that.

The left side took about an hour but after that the right side only took 30 min. because now I knew what to do.

You did buy the best Borla's and after you get a few thousand miles on them they will sound 100% better then when you first put them on. In time the insides will be coated with some carbon and the Mufflers will actually sound deeper and better. Like it says in their video " They all produce the same power" Just way different sound levels.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hey mike i just realized youre from montreal, will be going there this saturday in quebic st. Hippolyte. Can u help me install my axle back exhaust pls.. Lol.
Where the hell is that? Lol.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Oh I see it now, I just Google mapped it. About an hour out of MTL.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Dish washing soap works excellent and the hangers will slip out of the rubber very easy. The soap will not harm anything and will just go away all by itself. I have a 2012 and when I removed the clamp I found Ford had a tach weld on the stock mufflers. I used a small grinder to cut it and smooth the flange out. I don't know if Ford still does that. The left side took about an hour but after that the right side only took 30 min. because now I knew what to do. You did buy the best Borla's and after you get a few thousand miles on them they will sound 100% better then when you first put them on. In time the insides will be coated with some carbon and the Mufflers will actually sound deeper and better. Like it says in their video " They all produce the same power" Just way different sound levels. Ronnie
thanks ronnie you prevailed again.. I will try all of this tricks and see if it works.. Im excited i cant wait for it to come in my door tomorrow..
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks ronnie you prevailed again.. I will try all of this tricks and see if it works.. Im excited i cant wait for it to come in my door tomorrow..
+1, Ronnie's a smart cookie!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where the hell is that? Lol. ---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ---------- Oh I see it now, I just Google mapped it. About an hour out of MTL.
oh good you found it lol i was worried a little bit since ur from there and dont know where it is. Hey just for a thought maybe we should meet up. Ill be with my family will be there for a week. Im excited since ill be driving my stang there.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3663641155.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	131818

Here are the pliers I was talking about.
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If the rubber insulators give you a hassle to get the stock mufflers out, then unbolt them from the frame. Once the back clamp is removed, the stock muffler will swing down enough to allow you to remove the rubber insulators/mufflers as one. Then transfer it to the new muffler and re-install.

Should not have to do that though with a bit of paitience, some dish soap as Ronnie mentions, or some WD-40 to help with the muffler pins to slide off/on to the rubber insulators.
Besides the CAI, axle backs are the second most popular mod, and the second easiest mod performance wise to install. Placing the rear on some jack stands will also make this job easier to do.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If the rubber insulators give you a hassle to get the stock mufflers out, then unbolt them from the frame. Once the back clamp is removed, the stock muffler will swing down enough to allow you to remove the rubber insulators/mufflers as one. Then transfer it to the new muffler and re-install. Should not have to do that though with a bit of paitience, some dish soap as Ronnie mentions, or some WD-40 to help with the muffler pins to slide off/on to the rubber insulators. Besides the CAI, axle backs are the second most popular mod, and the second easiest mod performance wise to install. Placing the rear on some jack stands will also make this job easier to do.
thanks bucko, i just installed5 them and it came out really good.. It took me 1:30 mins to install them the stock exhaust wasnt that bad to take them out since they were new. Does new exhaust has a break in period?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to all the peps that gave me advice, everything works and it was a breeze to install them.. Glad i save a few bucks to have a shop install them.. Now who wants free ice cream.. Lol
Old 10-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Shunc01

If you ever get to Florida (Daytona) I'll take you up on that free ice cream. I'm sure Bucko will want some too because he lives in Florida too.

Ronnie
Old 10-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks to all the peps that gave me advice, everything works and it was a breeze to install them.. Glad i save a few bucks to have a shop install them.. Now who wants free ice cream.. Lol
Glad it worked out bud!!! How do they sound??
Old 10-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you ever get to Florida (Daytona) I'll take you up on that free ice cream. I'm sure Bucko will want some too because he lives in Florida too. Ronnie
lol ill be there in december ill hold myself into that.. Ill be going fishing there with my cousin who leaves in gainesville. By the way i love florida thinking about leaving there..

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Glad it worked out bud!!! How do they sound??
they sound awesome not too loud just so tamed and mellow but if i stepped on it, it growls and it has that unique sound on it its not racey or raspy at all.. Glad i made the choice for borla touring..
Old 10-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They will actually sound much better

When you get about 3 or 4 thousand miles on them the carbon will line the insides of the mufflers and the tone will be much better. I know my Magnaflow streets did. I like you thought my mufflers sounded perfect when I first put them on. They actually sound much deeper and have a great tone now that I got some miles on them. You made a good choice with going with the touring's.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang