Car wont turn... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Car wont turn...

For the past few weeks its been hit and miss with my car. Its a 2012 v6 premium and you can see the Mods on signature. Some times when I turn the key in my car it sounds like it wants to turn on but it wont, when it does start it will be ok for a few days. I took it to the Ford dealership today 10/07/2013 and they told me it was my fuel pump. I guess it went bad. Does that sound right? I mean I am not a mechanic and the car is being covered under warranty ( yes, even with the tune and mods) but will that cause a car to not start? The battery is good too.
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
That's a very reasonable diagnosis. Bad pump, low fuel pressure, no start. Being electrical it could be intermittent.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Keep in mind the fuel pressure system used by Ford is a single line pressure system. What this means is that there's a fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail (fuel rail is what feeds the fuel injectors). This fuel pressure sensor tells the fuel module to turn on/turn off the fuel pump. So low fuel pressure can be the fuel pressure sensor, the fuel module, or the fuel pump.
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank, and is cooled by the gas within the gas tank. This is why its good practice to never run your fuel tank to complete empty. I've read here where some folks do this; they want to check their "miles to empty" indicator. Not a wise thing to do, as it can overheat the fuel pump and cause it to fail prematurely.

Other fuel injected systems use a fuel delivery and fuel return line to/from the tank, and use a fuel pressure regulator that opens/closes the excess fuel from the fuel rail back to the gas tank. Most vehicles today have switched to the single fuel line such as Ford, as it helps to prevent vapor lock in the fuel lines.
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Keep in mind the fuel pressure system used by Ford is a single line pressure system. What this means is that there's a fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail (fuel rail is what feeds the fuel injectors). This fuel pressure sensor tells the fuel module to turn on/turn off the fuel pump. So low fuel pressure can be the fuel pressure sensor, the fuel module, or the fuel pump.
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank, and is cooled by the gas within the gas tank. This is why its good practice to never run your fuel tank to complete empty. I've read here where some folks do this; they want to check their "miles to empty" indicator. Not a wise thing to do, as it can overheat the fuel pump and cause it to fail prematurely.

Other fuel injected systems use a fuel delivery and fuel return line to/from the tank, and use a fuel pressure regulator that opens/closes the excess fuel from the fuel rail back to the gas tank. Most vehicles today have switched to the single fuel line such as Ford, as it helps to prevent vapor lock in the fuel lines.
Thanks Bucko,

I would be one of those people who will almost hit empty before fueling. Not to check the mileage but because I have always done that. But it makes sense and I will be changing my ways.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Out of curiousity, how many miles are on the Mustang?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Out of curiousity, how many miles are on the Mustang?
About 33500.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

to me I would double check the ground on the battery remember grounds cause most electric problems the body ground on late model cars ..... but I would take it to Ford being its covered , like the other guy said .... never let it get real low before you fill it makes the pump run hotter, sucks up more if any dirt & just is a bad habit .
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I learned that with my Corvette a long time ago

The stuff that just ain't never in the Manual.
*****DO NOT RUN THE FUEL TANK LOW
I ruined one of the fuel pumps and the sender in my tank and was informed not to go under 1/4 of a tank by the dealer that replaced them. It seems it is not only a Corvette problem but is a problem among all brands of cars with a submerged fuel pump.
I do not let my Mustang ever go under 1/4 of a tank before filling up. You would think that after all the years they started submerging the fuel pumps they would not have this problem. At least they now put an access point so they don't have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. They just never adjusted the Flat rate charge so they still charge you way to much to replace the Pump or a sender. They charge like when they had to drop the tank.

OK under warranty but sucks when warranty is done.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

On our Mustangs, they remove the lower back seat to get access to the pump: there's a cover on the passenger side rear seat area.

It would have to be a young, skinny kid to work back there; I grunt and groan every time I crawl back there to clean the rear window. I can't imagine having to be back there to change out a pump! The passenger front seat would have to come out for me to do that work at a minimum!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On our Mustangs, they remove the lower back seat to get access to the pump: there's a cover on the passenger side rear seat area.

It would have to be a young, skinny kid to work back there; I grunt and groan every time I crawl back there to clean the rear window. I can't imagine having to be back there to change out a pump! The passenger front seat would have to come out for me to do that work at a minimum!
Yeah I am too big to be jumping around in the back like that. I am hoping this fixes the issue; I will take Fords word on it and not let mu fuel get so low. They also told me it wasnt the pump it was actually a module connect to the pump that fried. But low fuel was the cause of that module going out.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

May have made that module work "overtime" when the fuel got low all the time.

Ford moved them into the trunk area; keeps them out of the elements. On my 2005 Ford F150, its mounted on a frame rail by the spare tire. Road grime, water, salt (from the snow belt areas), would get on this module and cause the back side of it to corrode, and distroy the module, leaving drivers stranded when it craped out.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Bucko, I know you are on both my threads and Thanks for the advice. This is how it is going; Module dies car wont start, then it does start, then it wont, Goes to ford for warranty work (they replace my car with a Chrysler Town and country van rental, nice but seriously), item is not stock so I have to wait 2 extra days, Part comes in and installed but now the speedometer is off, car somehow fixes itself because the speedometer is fine and it drives smooth but still worried about my tune, car is back in shop today because the techs did not place the back seat in properly and there is a really annoying rattling in the back of my car. The only reason why I hair on my head is because I am paying $0 dollars for this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang