Gear ratios - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Gear ratios

Does anyone know what the gear ratios are on the automatic. It feels that the 2 top gears are both OD hence the very low rpm at cruise sp. The eng seems to be lugging. Acceleration requires a pause, select & shift to lower gear - all this is annoying. My Ford Escape (6cyl/auto- only 6sp is OD) shifts much better than the Mustang and seems faster on acceleration.

I know a tune will change the shift pattern & hopefully maintain a better rpm relative to sp, but I guess gas mileage will suffer. I guess a tune would be similar to driving in "sport mode" - keeping out the 6th sp. Am I correct?

Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If it is a Stock gear without the optional 3.31's it is a 2.73.
Depending on what year Escape, it could have 3.92, newer ones have 3.51.
BTW my wife's Rav4 seems faster than mine but run them together and I pull away.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
The 2 top gears are OD gears,i don't know the ratios off the top of my head though. A tune wont keep you out of a gear, but it will adjust spark, timing, compression ect.. If you get a mild tune you can see an increase in performance and mpg, a more aggressive tune you may lose a few mpgs though

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
If it is a Stock gear without the optional 3.31's it is a 2.73.
Depending on what year Escape, it could have 3.92, newer ones have 3.51.
BTW my wife's Rav4 seems faster than mine but run them together and I pull away.
I think he means actual gearing ratios (transmission ratios, not rear end)

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The 2 top gears are OD gears,i don't know the ratios off the top of my head though. A tune wont keep you out of a gear, but it will adjust spark, timing, compression ect.. If you get a mild tune you can see an increase in performance and mpg, a more aggressive tune you may lose a few mpgs though ---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ---------- I think he means actual gearing ratios (transmission ratios, not rear end)
I don't remember where, but there's a chart somewhere online... (I know, helps a lot)
Let me see if I can find it

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Found it!!

http://www.cartobuy.com/wp-content/u...tang_Specs.pdf
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Not sure if there is any difference between the 3.7 and 5.0 ratios. Here they are for the 5.0 and the only ones I could find for the Ford 6R80 transmission.

Automatic
1 - 4.17
2 - 2.34
3 - 1.52
4 - 1.14
5 - .86
6 - .69
Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The 2 top gears are OD gears,i don't know the ratios off the top of my head though. A tune wont keep you out of a gear, but it will adjust spark, timing, compression ect.. If you get a mild tune you can see an increase in performance and mpg, a more aggressive tune you may lose a few mpgs though

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I think he means actual gearing ratios (transmission ratios, not rear end)
A tune that can adjust the compression????
Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Thanks

Got the info re gear ratios. 2 OD's that explains the lack of giddy-up from slow speeds. Am I correct in assuming that a tune will greatly delay the OD's until at only highway speeds? If so how can that help gas mileage?

Thanks..............
Deep Impact is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang