BBK LT + O/R X-Pipe, What Next? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #1

Region: Connecticut
BBK LT + O/R X-Pipe, What Next?

So I just installed the BBK long tube headers and Off Road X-Pipe on my 2011 V6, the rest of the exhaust is all stock. I'm happy with the power gains and I like it loud but the metallic rasp is way too much over 3k rpm. Probably should have gone with the H-pipe instead of the X but it's too late for that now. I've read a lot of the related posts and everyone recommends resonators. Will this REALLY reduce the raspiness? And is 18" enough or do I need 22" resonators? What's the best choice for resonators?
1HOTPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
My suggestion is that you talk with a local muffler shop. Try and find a "non brand" type shop, as they tend to just want to sell you anything. I have a shop that's been family run for 35 years. I can go to them, and they have taken the time to install several mufflers on other vehicles I've owned, started the vehicle up, and rev'd the engine to let me hear the exhaust note, then choose.

For you, they will need to cut the pipe to insert the resignators in order for you to hear it, and you'll need to decide and make a purchase at that point, or pay the labor to perform this service, even if you do not buy resignators. But this is going to be the sure way to hear it, and decide for yourself if this is the sound you are after.
I'm sure you'll get some opinions on this post, but it's their word and their sound tastes; hopefully it will be one you can trust and go with.

Also, are the cats eliminated with the off road X pipe you installed? If so, hope you kept them. They will need to be re-installed when you sell or trade in at the very least. Its a federal law that states no car can be sold without them. They can come after you after the sale, even if the vehicle is sold "as is". Happened to my son. He had to buy the car back from the buyer, or pay a 30K fine.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #3

Region: Connecticut
Thanks Bucko...and yes, the cats are eliminated. I was going to trash them but based on your comments maybe I will hang onto them. Of course, I have no plans to sell the car anytime soon but I had no idea the sale could voided or that I could be fined.
1HOTPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTPONY View Post
Thanks Bucko...and yes, the cats are eliminated. I was going to trash them but based on your comments maybe I will hang onto them. Of course, I have no plans to sell the car anytime soon but I had no idea the sale could voided or that I could be fined.
I've told this before, but I guess it's worth repeating; my son sold his 2004 Subaru WRX STi a few years ago, and he had removed the cats. It was sold "as is" (my son and the buyer signed a piece of paper and it was notorized) and everything we though was finished. About three weeks later, my son was served papers at his house; he was being fined 30K for selling a vehicle without Federal required cats (short abbreviated legal terminoligy from the papers he was served). He had two choices, one to pay the fine, and two, to buy the car back at the original sale price. He bought the car back.

He re-installed the cats, but then kept the car, as he was actually missing it a few days after selling it. He felt this was a "message from the Subaru gods" to get the car back!

Another persom posted that they bought a used truck from a dealer, moved to texas a few weeks lator, tried to get the truck inspected in Texas (Texas has inspection laws), and it failed because it did not have catilitic converters). They contacted the dealership that sold it to them, and even though it was an "as is" sale, the dealership installed cats on it, as they also knew they were breaking the law in selling it without it's federally required equipment. The dealership can go after whoever traded the vehicle in I suppose, but that would be up to them.

Moral: keep the cats! Have them available to re-install should you ever sell or trade in the Mustang.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I'm just wondering why your son wanted to sell his Subie in the first place.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Get a chambered catback. My o/r x isnt really raspy at all with a chambered cb.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Get a chambered catback. My o/r x isnt really raspy at all with a chambered cb.
And get a H pipe welded in. Deeper, it will be. And step your piping up to 2.5".
Old 10-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Should have gotten the 'catted' x-pipe. My cats are turned off, so i use them as resonators. Just joking...........
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Resonators will work to reduce 60% of the rasp but it will still be there at WOT but get some Chambered Mufflers and you will be fine.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang