Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2014 V6 rear water sloshing

12K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  rgstelzner 
#1 ·
Hello all!

My 14 v6 (not convertible) has about 3000 miles now and i bought it brand new about 3 months ago.

Very recently (a couple of days ago) I noticed water sloshing sound coming from both sides of quarter panels. I did my search on Google and took my stang in the shop. They said they completely tore the car apart and could not find a single wet spot so they told me the sloshing sound is from the fuel tank.

I put a full tank of gas in after the shop and can still hear the sound and it obviously is coming from the quarter panel. Sounds exactly like if someone left a half full water bottle at the rear cupholder (if mustangs have rear cupholders).

I've read threads talking about the same problem from 06 convertibles but mine is a brand new 14 and I really have no idea where this problem comes from.

Thank you so much in advance for sharing your expertise with me! I really don't know what to do now.

#4 ·
Not really a lot of places water can get into the Quarter Panels, the fuel tanks (yes one on each side) are under the back seat, so the noise you are hearing, even with the gas tank full (Even Full there is still an air space in the tank for Expansion)is probably that, unless you have water anywhere in the trunk or rear floor is wet I would not worry about it.

#6 ·
Don't run it to low to long

If you do you will end up with fuel pump problems.

What you are probably hearing is either a little tire noise or it could be a disc brake dragging. Then again it may just be fuel sloshing around in the tank.

If you start tuning your ears for goofy sounds in a car you will hear them. The best thing I did was install axlebacks and purchase my Sirius Radio for another year. Now thats all I hear and all I need to hear.

Ronnie

#8 ·
I don't think it was a "Flood Car"

Since you bought it brand new i'm certain it's not been in a flood. The dealers that got flooded had to turn the cars back to the Factory to be destroyed. I would just drive it until the noise goes away. Turn up the radio and listen to some music. OR- You can go test drive another convertible to see if it has the same noise yours has. It might just be some sort of wind noise or something.

Ronnie

#9 ·
I had this problem. It's gas. You look at the rear seat and see the carpet just goes straight down and is hard. That's the tank casing if memory serves me right. It's fuel. The tank has moved more to the center for more safety reasons

#10 ·
Problem solved

Hey Swatswat, I think you got your answer. Like I say, Just drive it and stop listening for things. Get some nice axleback Mufflers of your choice and keep the radio on. I have Magnaflow Streets on mine and like them because they are not obnoxiously loud and just have a nice deep rumble to them. They would be perfect on a convertible.

Ronnie

#13 ·
Hey White

Why would anyone want to get Mufflers that you gotta add resonators to as well as cut up your stock pipes to install?

OP has a convertible so if he puts on loud obnoxious mufflers he will soon hate his car with the top down.

Magnaflow streets
Ford Racing Touring
Borla Touring

These all just go on without cutting, Sound great, Add a little performance ( Very little) and won't give anyone in the car a headache.

If Swatswat hates the small sloshing sound of the fuel tank, I'm sure he won't like the harsh drone of Flowmasters.

Ronnie

#14 ·
Why would anyone want to get Mufflers that you gotta add resonators to as well as cut up your stock pipes to install?

OP has a convertible so if he puts on loud obnoxious mufflers he will soon hate his car with the top down.

Magnaflow streets
Ford Racing Touring
Borla Touring

These all just go on without cutting, Sound great, Add a little performance ( Very little) and won't give anyone in the car a headache.

If Swatswat hates the small sloshing sound of the fuel tank, I'm sure he won't like the harsh drone of Flowmasters.

Ronnie

OP said "My 14 v6 (not convertible) has about 3000 miles now and i bought it brand new about 3 months ago."

As for exhaust I am not sure which one to get.

Reactions: ronnie948
#16 ·
OK Mlarv5

I missed the Not Vert.
Thanks for the heads up.
Ronnie

#18 ·
I have a 14 Gt 5.0. Have the same problem coming from around driver door when I let on and off the brake sitting still and water will drip out from the ground effect below the drivers door. I had driven in the rain the day before. It gradually got quieter and eventually ran out of water. Today it rained again and I hear it again. I have 5000 miles on it and haven't heard it before. I am taking it to the Ford dealer in the morning to get it checked while it's still sloshing. They told me they may have to drill a hole to let it out if they find where it is coming from. Not fond of them doing that. It's not the gas tank. Drowning out the noise is not an option in my book. It should not be taking on water. I will try to remember to post if I get an answer.

#21 ·
Back from Ford dealer. 2 hours later. Removed back seat, rear panel by seat belt. Said there was 4-5 inches water in quarter panel. He said there was a drain stopped up with some "goop". He cleaned it out. I asked him if he drilled a hole and he said no. I looked under car and couldn't see any holes. Noise has stopped. I'm going to install caliper covers on it and when I have the rear wheel off I will look closer. When it rains again I will keep a check on it. If I have any more problems I will try to remember to post update.

#22 ·
Thanks for the update exmoto!

2nd time back from Ford dealer they had a "water doctor" look at it and told me it was door drain plugged. I'm not sure if I'm buying that because the sound is obviously from rear. They again said they didnt find anything in rear.

This is getting annoying considering no water found in trunk and inside the car. I don't see where the water could be trapped.

#23 ·
My noise is still gone and it has rained a lot. They took the back seat out and said it was in the rear quarter panel. Like I said they unplugged a drain that had goop in it. When I put my caliper covers on I looked all under the bottom and could not find any holes that they may have drilled. I would get on dry concrete and hit the brake on and off and make it slosh and it would drip right under the edge of the ground effect on driver side. It was not dripping out of the door. As you would ease forward it would leave a puddle trail til I stopped and I could see where it stopped. About even with seat adjuster. Keep trying. Good luck. Lakeside ford, Ferriday La is who fixed it.

#25 ·
Has anybody ever found out exactly what this is?

There are a million post on these forums about water sloshing sound and not one person has said what caused it and how it was repaired.

If anybody had this problem and the dealer or someplace repaired it would you please let someone know what it was and how it was fixed.

Ronnie

#26 ·
There are a million post on these forums about water sloshing sound and not one person has said what caused it and how it was repaired.

If anybody had this problem and the dealer or someplace repaired it would you please let someone know what it was and how it was fixed.

Ronnie
I believe many have mentioned the rear quarter panel water sloshing as, "...apparently caused by a bad seam at the factory in the rear wheel well which allows water to get in between the exterior/interior panels and just pools up in there."

#27 ·
yeah lol a lot of people gave detailing of how it was repaired. I even told my dealer what people said fixed it. either way, i cancelled my appointment bc they pissed me off for having the car for 8 days to do my hood... I'll bring it somewhere else for sloshing

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

#28 ·
Thanks for the info

I must have had a real brain fart because I missed any outcome on the problem
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.