Cleaning a CAI filter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Cleaning a CAI filter

Unless I'm very much mistaken the filters on CAI are washable. (I've been very much mistaken before so...)
How does one go about cleaning them?
Yankytyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
Unless I'm very much mistaken the filters on CAI are washable. (I've been very much mistaken before so...)
You'll need to get a re-charging kit. K & N and Airaid both make one. The K & N can be found at AutoZone for like $12.

Spray it with the degreaser, spray it down with hot water from your sink, let it dry, then spray the oil on it. Piece of cake!
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
But be stingy with the oil, to much and you can coat your MAF Sensor and throw a code.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My wife swears the check engine light was on during her drive home last night. I drove the Pony today no problems. Put my tuner in to see if there was a code. Nothing.
She said there was a loss of power. I thought air filter. Its been on for close to 20k, so I figure it needs cleaning. Given the rain for 3 days I think the moisture closed it up somewhat.
Yankytyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
:side note: Rinse out the degreaser from the inside of the cone. Don't run the water from the outside to the inside of the cone filter. The way i do it . And like Siber Expres said "too much oil" will cause troubles...........

I clean my filter once a year. Overkill, i know but thats the way i am..
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
In addition to the good pointers others have offered, never use compressed air to blow debris out of the filter. Spray water from the inside out, and use a paint brush to sweep away larger chunks of debris.
Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Over-oiling a reusable filter is by far the number one reason folks will blame a reusable filter for damaging the MAF. K&N and others post instructions on their web site on how to do it (clean and recharge the filter).

20K mileage is early for cleaning it, unless you drive in dirty or harsh conditions, such as off roading. Id leave it be, and keep an eye on the check engine light to see if anything happens again.

You could check the clamps to verify they are all tight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai