Thinking about NOS. Concerns/Questions.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Thinking about NOS. Concerns/Questions..

Alright guys so I'm thinking about NOS on the 3.7. Looking to do a 100 shot, but I have some questions and concerns before I pull the trigger:

1. I live in Wisconsin, which in the winter gets in -10 degrees sometimes. Below freezing and I'll be driving the Stang through winter. Do I have to be worried about NOS pressure? Exploding when parked over night or something? How about heat? It gets to be 100 degree in the summer too. The last thing I need is it exploding and the second to the last thing I want is the NOS being useless because it's too cold.

2. Cost of the whole NOS kit, Window switch, bottle warmer, etc? What will I all need and roughly how much will it cost? I'll be doing the install by myself with some friends assistance.

3. Tune. I will be tuning with Bama and need confidence and peace of mind they will be able to pull me through it just fine. Tunes are everything. So if someone from AM could maybe respond and help ease my mind.

4. Any other things I should be concerned about or know before pulling the trigger? Comment and throw me your input!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
*nitrous ...sorry pet peev
Old 10-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
1. Don't worry about the bottle itself blowing up on you. And to have the bottle at a good temp during the winter get a bottle heater,i guarantee it won't get too hot during the summer though.

2. Budget 1k for everything you will need to run the *Nitrous*, you will want a bottle heater, blow down tube, TPS switch, Window Switch, bottle pressure gauge, purge kit will be nice, if you want to open and close it with a button rather than manually get the remote bottle valve. And definitely definetly definitely get a Wideband gauge to watch your AF ratio.

3. Honestly, ditch BAMA in this case and go get a real dyno tune.

Oh, and NOS is a brand/company... The official term is Nitrous Oxide. Don't be one of those fast and furious idiots who yells "NAAAWWWWWWSSS"

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I love NITROUS OXIDE

Yep, It is safe and you won;t have to worry about a thing.

Check it out:

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Road Trip!

I know they say that a certain shot will work with stock tune but..

What if u have other mods that you have a tune for?

Can you use like ur bama race tune n just throw it on there?

What does bamas tune actually do if you don't need to ****** timing for a small shot?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
I know they say that a certain shot will work with stock tune but.. What if u have other mods that you have a tune for? Can you use like ur bama race tune n just throw it on there? What does bamas tune actually do if you don't need to ****** timing for a small shot?
For nitrous you absolutely need a dyno tune. A mail in tune simply won't cut it if you want your motor to survive. When tuned right nitrous is perfectly safe, when it's not tuned right your motor is a time bomb you don't know when it's going to go off.

HID end all thread
Old 10-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Get a dyno tune

Click this:

Nitrous is great if you are wealthy and can afford the repairs when someting does go wrong.
I'm sure your insurance company is not going to cover damage like this.

Over the years I have seen plenty of cars blow up using this stuff. You would be better off putting you money into a Turbo kit then using this stuff.
That is ::: Unless you are nice and rich

Suggestion: Get the bottles and leave them empty and all of your friends will think you have it and won't want to race you at all.

Ronnie
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Suggestion: Get the bottles and leave them empty and all of your friends will think you have it and won't want to race you at all.

Ronnie
This made me lol
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
Alright guys so I'm thinking about NITROUS on the 3.7. Looking to do a 100 shot, but I have some questions and concerns before I pull the trigger:

1. I live in Wisconsin, which in the winter gets in -10 degrees sometimes. Below freezing and I'll be driving the Stang through winter. Do I have to be worried about NITROUS pressure? Exploding when parked over night or something? How about heat? It gets to be 100 degree in the summer too. The last thing I need is it exploding and the second to the last thing I want is the NITROUS being useless because it's too cold.

2. Cost of the whole NITROUS kit, Window switch, bottle warmer, etc? What will I all need and roughly how much will it cost? I'll be doing the install by myself with some friends assistance.

3. Tune. I will be tuning with Bama and need confidence and peace of mind they will be able to pull me through it just fine. Tunes are everything. So if someone from AM could maybe respond and help ease my mind.

4. Any other things I should be concerned about or know before pulling the trigger? Comment and throw me your input!
Nitrous is a track only power adder. It isn't something that you use on the street, or drive around with the system armed all the time. Filling the bottle will cost you $4 to $5 or more a pound - so burning it up on the street isn't practical.

Quote:
1. I live in Wisconsin, which in the winter gets in -10 degrees sometimes. Below freezing and I'll be driving the Stang through winter. Do I have to be worried about NITROUS pressure? Exploding when parked over night or something? How about heat? It gets to be 100 degree in the summer too. The last thing I need is it exploding and the second to the last thing I want is the NITROUS being useless because it's too cold.
Pull the bottle out of the car when you aren't using it; no reason to have a nitrous bottle in your car in the winter. And if the bottle is cold you won't be able to get the pressure up to where you can effectively use it. Here in Michigan when I was running nitrous I had to use the bottle heater in the early spring and late summer races; sometimes in the summer evenings it would get cool enough that bottle pressure couldn't be maintained. You do have to worry about pressure since you need good bottle pressure to effectively use nitrous. But exploding is unlikely unless you have mistreated the bottle (like using a torch to heat it up to get the pressure up - which weakens the metal). The bottle should have a burst disk so that if the pressure does get too high the disk will break and the nitrous will escape (one reason for a blow down tube that vents to the outside of the car). Bottles have to be certified periodically to show they can withstand the 900-1200 lbs of pressure you run in them.

Nitrous itself is not flammable, despite the fast and furious movies where they scream "nnaaaawwwwssssssssss" and show cars blowing up. Where you get into trouble is when you have a leak of gas and nitrous - that will lead to a fire like in the picture posted above. Not because of the nitrous, but because of the fuel leak. You can get a backfire explosion if the nitrous does not flow properly and puddles up in the intake or because of too much nitrous pressure.

You definitely want a window switch. Spraying too low in the rpm range will cause detonation, and put a nice window in the engine block.

Quote:
2. Cost of the whole NITROUS kit, Window switch, bottle warmer, etc? What will I all need and roughly how much will it cost? I'll be doing the install by myself with some friends assistance.
Nitrous is easy to install. It just takes time to run everything from the bottle to the solenoids, getting the solenoids plumbed properly, and then getting all the power wired up properly. A lot of crawling around under the car and under the dash. I did it on a Saturday in the driveway with the car up on jack stands though. You will need the nitrous kit, a bottle heater, purge kit, blow down tube, and window switch. Of course you will need to figure out where to put the switches in your car to control the purge, bottle heater, and arming switch.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Alright guys so I'm thinking about NOS on the 3.7. Looking to do a 100 shot, but I have some questions and concerns before I pull the trigger:

1. I live in Wisconsin, which in the winter gets in -10 degrees sometimes. Below freezing and I'll be driving the Stang through winter. Do I have to be worried about NOS pressure? Exploding when parked over night or something? How about heat? It gets to be 100 degree in the summer too. The last thing I need is it exploding and the second to the last thing I want is the NOS being useless because it's too cold.

2. Cost of the whole NOS kit, Window switch, bottle warmer, etc? What will I all need and roughly how much will it cost? I'll be doing the install by myself with some friends assistance.

My advice. Get a super or turbo charger. Forget about this Nitrous business. Way too risky and way too many bad things can happen with it.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
My advice. Get a super or turbo charger. Forget about this Nitrous business. Way too risky and way too many bad things can happen with it.
Nitrous is perfectly safe when tuned right. Most issues people have with nitrous is in the tuning, like that video above. They were in the process of tuning it, they probably didn't get the AF right and got premature detonation (which can happen with any forced induction). Then there are the people that strap nitrous on and WOT it 5 minutes later on the street. Bye bye motor to them.

HID end all thread
Old 10-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Nitrous is a great power adder to go with. If used correctly. Do not cheap out on the tune/kit/accessories. It is verry addictive. You will be perfectly fine with a 100 shot. 150 and above I would start saving for forged internals for the 3.7.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

EXCELLENT information from Jim C

Also
Excellent advice from 2011 Kona Blue
Quote:
Ronnie
Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

How about some pictures of your nitrous setups

Soccerluvr 4 OR Raspinator

I'm sure you guys are probably using Nitrous on your cars so how about doing some nice photographs of how you did your installations. We would like to see the OP doing a nice install that won't eventually go bad on the street.

I have seen way to many cars destroyed using nitrous. Not only on the street but also on the drag strip.

It gives great super power (REALLY GREAT) but when it goes wrong it sure leads to very expensive tragedy. It ain't worth doing it on the street when you can put your money into a supercharger or a Turbocharger and be a whole lot safer and still get great speed and performance.

Read Jim C's post

Read this, It is long but good information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide_engine

Ronnie
Old 10-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I wouldn't touch nitrous also, SC for me! : )
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I have a bottle on my 5.0. I

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131020_111442.png
Views:	509
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	133178
Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
hmm i may need to look into a small shot...would be a nice addition

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

If someone is looking for street power, nitrous is not what there looking for. The supercharger is where its at. Instant boost, will not blow your car in half when hot outside, easy to install. You pull up at a light and nail it with the supercharger.

Nitrous at traffic light. Hold on sir, I need to warm my bottles up. Do you happen to have a blow torch? I spoke with a local performance shop and they told me, in order to set a nitrous system up the correct and safe way so your engine doesn't blow up , you can spend nearly as much as a supercharger. After you factor in the cost of nitrous refills , your better off getting a supercharger and calling it day.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If someone is looking for street power, nitrous is not what there looking for. The supercharger is where its at. Instant boost, will not blow your car in half when hot outside, easy to install. You pull up at a light and nail it with the supercharger.

Nitrous at traffic light. Hold on sir, I need to warm my bottles up. Do you happen to have a blow torch? I spoke with a local performance shop and they told me, in order to set a nitrous system up the correct and safe way so your engine doesn't blow up , you can spend nearly as much as a supercharger. After you factor in the cost of nitrous refills , your better off getting a supercharger and calling it day.
LMFAO. this is ignorant as ****. I have had 2 supercharged mustangs prior to this. Who the hell uses a blow torch now?

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Automatic bottle heater/ opener. Bye bye supercharged mustang.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

LMFAO. this is ignorant as ****. I have had 2 supercharged mustangs prior to this. Who the hell uses a blow torch now?

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Automatic bottle heater/ opener. Bye bye supercharged mustang.
That's what I was thinking lol
There's a switch for everything.
Flip your switches n bye bye supercharged mustang hahaha

Also, not only is nitrous cheaper than a sc, but you save money by not needing all those bolt ons/supporting mods for your car

Not that a sc is a bad idea by any means
Old 10-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's what I was thinking lol
There's a switch for everything.
Flip your switches n bye bye supercharged mustang hahaha

Also, not only is nitrous cheaper than a sc, but you save money by not needing all those bolt ons/supporting mods for your car

Not that a sc is a bad idea by any means
Now it can get expensive. I have close to 5k in my nitrous setup.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

Wow really?? What pieces cost you the most?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow really?? What pieces cost you the most?
The actual kit was 1100. Then I have upgraded lines/nozzles/4an fittings/ window switch/ progressive controller/ remote opener/bottle heater/ gauges/ bigger bottles/ full pressure safety switch/injectors/ boost a pump/tuning. And bunch of other small stuff.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

I am spraying more than most people do on a daily basis
Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Lmao that tight. Your my nitrous hero!!

U got any vids of any runs?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lmao that tight. Your my nitrous hero!!

U got any vids of any runs?
No I will have to get some. Car is a roll car only though.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:

No I will have to get some. Car is a roll car only though.
Why is that?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why is that?
Did not build it for the track. Plus its hard to hook up from a dig. My bottle comes on at 3100. I have over 800 lbs tq instantly. I will set it up for track soon. Just not what my intentions were to begin with.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As by your above post a proper nitrous set up is not cheap and not much less than a supercharger kit for some models. Not to mention the cost to refill the nitrous bottles is an added cost. I would rather build my engine up as one would have to anyway running any real shots of nitrous supercharge it and run 20 to 25 pounds boost.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

my friend has full bolt ons and 50shots and is raping 5.0s. his car is too sick
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
This made me lol
Me too. Thanks Ronnie.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruChris View Post
my friend has full bolt ons and 50shots and is raping 5.0s. his car is too sick
Doubt that. A 50 shot is a waste
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Doubt that. A 50 shot is a waste
I've heard this on other forums as well. I don't see a 50 shot being enough for a V6 to beat a 5.0; might piss off the 5.0 enough to steal away your significant other in the passenger seat after he/she beats you.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I've heard this on other forums as well. I don't see a 50 shot being enough for a V6 to beat a 5.0; might piss off the 5.0 enough to steal away your significant other in the passenger seat after he/she beats you.
50 shot really is a waste. Alot of real high hp might have a 50 shot to spray the last gear b4 they pass through the traps. Lethal does this on there 4.5l whipple gt500. The use the 50 shot for whatever gear they are going through the trap in. To get a little extra edge. Now a 50 shot by itself exp. On a v6 would pretty much be used just to say you have nitrous IMO.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #34
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Soccerluvr 4 OR Raspinator I'm sure you guys are probably using Nitrous on your cars so how about doing some nice photographs of how you did your installations. We would like to see the OP doing a nice install that won't eventually go bad on the street. I have seen way to many cars destroyed using nitrous. Not only on the street but also on the drag strip. It gives great super power (REALLY GREAT) but when it goes wrong it sure leads to very expensive tragedy. It ain't worth doing it on the street when you can put your money into a supercharger or a Turbocharger and be a whole lot safer and still get great speed and performance. Read Jim C's post Read this, It is long but good information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide_engine Ronnie
I currently am not. But that is most likely the route I will be going when I really get into performance.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote:
As by your above post a proper nitrous set up is not cheap and not much less than a supercharger kit for some models. Not to mention the cost to refill the nitrous bottles is an added cost. I would rather build my engine up as one would have to anyway running any real shots of nitrous supercharge it and run 20 to 25 pounds boost.
Except when the supercharged car gets heat soaked the one with nitrous will be perfectly fine.

HID end all thread
Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I currently am not. But that is most likely the route I will be going when I really get into performance.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Except when the supercharged car gets heat soaked the one with nitrous will be perfectly fine.
How does a supercharger get heat soaked? What causes that too happen?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang