Tuning?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Tuning?!

So I'm a little confused on tuning. I have had people tell me that you go to a shop and they tune your car (dyno tune), I have had people mention the bama tuning. If someone could break this down that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Stampede305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

A dyno tune is where you take your car to a tuning shop, they put your car on a roller and the guy tunes the car right there with your car hooked up to a computer giving him a bunch of different numbers. It is the most effective tuning since your car is right there with the tuner.

BAMA is a tuning company that does mail in tunes. You pay for the tunes and they send you a device with tunes on it, they are for more stock cars that want something other than a factory tune. When you want new tunes they literally email them to you, upload them to your device and then upload it to your car yourself. They are decent tunes but nowhere near as good as a real dyno tune, since all cars are slightly different.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
A dyno tune is where you take your car to a tuning shop, they put your car on a roller and the guy tunes the car right there with your car hooked up to a computer giving him a bunch of different numbers. It is the most effective tuning since your car is right there with the tuner.

BAMA is a tuning company that does mail in tunes. You pay for the tunes and they send you a device with tunes on it, they are for more stock cars that want something other than a factory tune. When you want new tunes they literally email them to you, upload them to your device and then upload it to your car yourself. They are decent tunes but nowhere near as good as a real dyno tune, since all cars are slightly different.
Oh okay thank you for that, so would you say it's a good idea that after I put say an exhaust cai maybe a throttle body to go get it dyno tuned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede305 View Post

Oh okay thank you for that, so would you say it's a good idea that after I put say an exhaust cai maybe a throttle body to go get it dyno tuned?
Nah for bolt ons do a mail order tune. A dyno is too expensive to go every time you put something small on.
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
+1
Do a dyno tune for things like cams or boosting, stuff that has to do with major engine work.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
So I'm a little confused on tuning. I have had people tell me that you go to a shop and they tune your car (dyno tune), I have had people mention the bama tuning. If someone could break this down that would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Hey,

I can definitely touch base on this for you! These guys have already pointed you in the right direction.

When it comes to stock or bolt on cars, or even pretty serious bolt ons like long tubes and intake manifolds etc.. a mail order tune is the way to go. For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

We've tuned more 2010+ V6's than anyone out there. We even set a world record for the FIRST 2011+ V6 into the 11's! We definitely have these cars figured out and I'm confident you'll love our Bama custom tune for your Sixxer. If you had a supercharger, turbo or a nitrous hit over a 100 shot then I would recommend a Dyno tune. However, we'll be able to get within a 3-5 HP of any Dyno tune out there! Obviously the dyno shop will have a slight advantage because they have the car in front of them. But I'm confident enough in our tunes that I can guarantee you that you'll be within low single digit horsepower and torque of any dyno tune.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

Hey,

I can definitely touch base on this for you! These guys have already pointed you in the right direction.

When it comes to stock or bolt on cars, or even pretty serious bolt ons like long tubes and intake manifolds etc.. a mail order tune is the way to go. For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys.

We've tuned more 2010+ V6's than anyone out there. We even set a world record for the FIRST 2011+ V6 into the 11's! We definitely have these cars figured out and I'm confident you'll love our Bama custom tune for your Sixxer. If you had a supercharger, turbo or a nitrous hit over a 100 shot then I would recommend a Dyno tune. However, we'll be able to get within a 3-5 HP of any Dyno tune out there! Obviously the dyno shop will have a slight advantage because they have the car in front of them. But I'm confident enough in our tunes that I can guarantee you that you'll be within low single digit horsepower and torque of any dyno tune.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance!

-Dan
Great, that was very informative I appreciate it, I haven't done any mods just (I just got the pony on Saturday) but when I have a few bolt ons installed ill most definitely hit you guys up!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Check this link out, very very informative;

Bama Tune for Dummies or Tuner 101
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Road Trip!

I wish I could tune from my iPhone
Old 10-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Its called iTunes :p
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Its called iTunes :p
Hahahahabahah omg that was too funny lol
Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Don't waste your money on a throttle body... It really doesn't do 400 dollars worth of gains with our stock intake manifold.

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoney View Post
Don't waste your money on a throttle body... It really doesn't do 400 dollars worth of gains with our stock intake manifold.
The more air you can cram in there the better the engine will run. But even with a intake and tune, there is still a 3 inch hole and only so much can go in there. I vote for getting the TB for responsiveness on the throttle rather than power and having power when you need it is a powerful tool. Kinda makes you feel powerful, don't it?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
The more air you can cram in there the better the engine will run. But even with a intake and tune, there is still a 3 inch hole and only so much can go in there. I vote for getting the TB for responsiveness on the throttle rather than power and having power when you need it is a powerful tool. Kinda makes you feel powerful, don't it?
The point is, spending near 400 bucks for a throttle Body is not going to provide a "bang" for those "bucks". The money can be spent (or saved up) for better mods that will produce better results.

If moneys burning a hole in the pocket though, we, spend away. I just don't see a throttle body doing much as an "as is" install.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The point is, spending near 400 bucks for a throttle Body is not going to provide a "bang" for those "bucks". The money can be spent (or saved up) for better mods that will produce better results. If moneys burning a hole in the pocket though, we, spend away. I just don't see a throttle body doing much as an "as is" install.
Not everything we buy has to have a bang for the buck. Like cams for example. Id buy it with a tune.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Didn't Bama tell someone 'no tune changes need for a BBK throttle body'? Just saying......
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So basically what I'm understanding from a throttle body is that it won't add any real gains but it will just respond quicker to the horsepower you already have?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Because it has the electrics already built in so it will automatically relearn on its own.

I just got mine for $320 mostly to see it would help with my rough idle etc. I keep throwing a p219a code and there is nothing loose in the exhaust and the afr are fine. I did 2 datalogs and those helped.

This did drastically improve it ontop of the datalogs. It now only does it within the first few minutes of of driving at the first few stops and then it is 100% fine.

The only thing left for the code is possibly a new 02 sensor. That or to clear it all the time which is annoying. There are no leaks and the car runs fine when it warms up so I'd rather save the $120 in case it doesn't help.

Back on point: Value is in the eye of the beholder. Some people dislike leather and tech items in their car etc.

This was the last mod I did about 3 weeks ago. You can literally feel more throttle response and a little more getty up until 4krpms. I swear I hear the cai way more now too.

Is it worth the $400? I say no but now I have more air going into my longtubes and some better low end that you will notice. It's not significant but it is noticeable.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Isn't there other handheld tuner companies other than Bama that people say have had better results from mail in tunes for example Steeda and also for the same free tunes for life deal and price?
BlackSmoke02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSmoke02 View Post
Isn't there other handheld tuner companies other than Bama that people say have had better results from mail in tunes for example Steeda and also for the same free tunes for life deal and price?
Sure there's a bunch. Vmp, steeda just did free tunes for life, and a bunch of other ones. But I already paid a bunch for my bama tunes so I'm not planning on switching any time soon cuz it would be a waste of money lol
Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post

Sure there's a bunch. Vmp, steeda just did free tunes for life, and a bunch of other ones. But I already paid a bunch for my bama tunes so I'm not planning on switching any time soon cuz it would be a waste of money lol
Yeah Lol where would you say I'd get a better tune between Vmp Steeda or Bama? Since there the same price and deal
Old 10-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah Lol where would you say I'd get a better tune between Vmp Steeda or Bama? Since there the same price and deal
Same question which would be better bama or steeda? And is it easy to tune or do you have to take it to a shop?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post

A custom dyno tune is the only way to go when super, turbo charged or nitrous. For bolt on mods a custom dyno tune will yield you little to no better HP and torque numbers compared to MPT, Bama, Steeda, Lund, VMP, Breenspeed, and so on. There is only so much safe power you can get from any tune regardless of it being email or dyno. I just had my car dyno several weeks ago and inquired about a custom dyno tune. The dyno tune operator advised since my car had nothing more than bolt on mods he couldn't do any or much better in power compared to my MPT, Steeda and Bama tunes. He said there is no real magic secret to a tune having huge power gains over the other companies tune. There is only a maximum safe level of power that can be given and the max is the same no matter who is tuning it. They all can adjust the shift firmness points the same. The key is making sure the tunes are made within safe levels. Example, Your air fuel ratio can't be set to run lean.

I was told companies, like AM, Steeda, MPT etc have tuning down to a science and are reputable companies who will tune within safe levels.

OP, no need to waste your money on a dyno tune for stock and bolt on mods.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let me help you to answer that question.
My car, same day, on dyno jet with my three different tunes

91 MPT tune
91 Steeda tune
91 Bama Hybrid tune

In the end , the results are very similar and can't go wrong with either company..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-28-15-41-29-1.png
Views:	150
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	133692
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Let me help you to answer that question. My car, same day, on dyno jet with my three different tunes 91 MPT tune 91 Steeda tune 91 Bama Hybrid tune In the end , the results are very similar and can't go wrong with either company..
+1

and for the record... Doesn't matter who you go with... It isn't free tunes for life on any car you may own after this one. This little tidbit of common sense was missing from another new member who was "disappointed" in one of the mail order tunes vendors. And was very vocal about it.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Hmm an mpt tune is only 75 bucks on my 04. But i don't think they let me keep updating after small mods
Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
Hmm an mpt tune is only 75 bucks on my 04. But i don't think they let me keep updating after small mods
They don't. You need to pay another 75 bucks. That's why Steeda and AM are the best bang for your buck.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Let me help you to answer that question.
My car, same day, on dyno jet with my three different tunes

91 MPT tune
91 Steeda tune
91 Bama Hybrid tune

In the end , the results are very similar and can't go wrong with either company..
Wow I see now. I guess to really break the tie for me would be which company has a decal for there tuning company. Looks cool Lol Thanks Kona Blue for the clarification..im jealous of your near 300hp by the way
Old 10-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20 View Post
Because it has the electrics already built in so it will automatically relearn on its own.

I just got mine for $320 mostly to see it would help with my rough idle etc. I keep throwing a p219a code and there is nothing loose in the exhaust and the afr are fine. I did 2 datalogs and those helped.

This did drastically improve it ontop of the datalogs. It now only does it within the first few minutes of of driving at the first few stops and then it is 100% fine.

The only thing left for the code is possibly a new 02 sensor. That or to clear it all the time which is annoying. There are no leaks and the car runs fine when it warms up so I'd rather save the $120 in case it doesn't help.

Back on point: Value is in the eye of the beholder. Some people dislike leather and tech items in their car etc.

This was the last mod I did about 3 weeks ago. You can literally feel more throttle response and a little more getty up until 4krpms. I swear I hear the cai way more now too.

Is it worth the $400? I say no but now I have more air going into my longtubes and some better low end that you will notice. It's not significant but it is noticeable.
The last sentence says it: you have longtubes...more air in, more air out; they work together. My point was that a larger TB by itself is not going to net much for the price. Your combination compliments each other.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wow I see now. I guess to really break the tie for me would be which company has a decal for there tuning company. Looks cool Lol Thanks Kona Blue for the clarification..im jealous of your near 300hp by the way
Lol. Thanks bro. I was hoping for 300 plus rwhp and would of been there had I have a manual transmission. Lol AM has a cool member plaque you can stick on the car. Lmao.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

With a full exhaust the throttle body will help. Otherwise it's a paperweighf
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thread jacking but, I just bought a tuner used from another 2011-2012 v6 owner. What all do I need to do to make it work with my car? It's from AM
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thread jacking but, I just bought a tuner used from another 2011-2012 v6 owner. What all do I need to do to make it work with my car? It's from AM
That's how I bought my tuner for 120. You need to make sure it is unmarried. If it is you can just buy a tune and load it to the tuner and your good to go. I picked steeda because it was only 65 dollars plus the 120 dollar tuner less than 200. And I've had updates for all my bolt ons.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
That's how I bought my tuner for 120. You need to make sure it is unmarried. If it is you can just buy a tune and load it to the tuner and your good to go. I picked steeda because it was only 65 dollars plus the 120 dollar tuner less than 200. And I've had updates for all my bolt ons.
What if it's married?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

You need to pay 150 dollars to unlock it for you. So unless you got it for very cheap it's not worth it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang