2012 v6 stang keep or sell/trade - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
2012 v6 stang keep or sell/trade

I have recently bought a 2012 v6 mustang premium and dont get me wrong, im very grateful for it and i understand im lucky to own a car like this. however, after my purchase i drove a friends 06 gt and i fell in love. The power behind the v8 is something else. would it be wise to trade mine for a v8?
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How many threads you need for the same question?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
How many threads you need for the same question?
was on my phone before, and the first one i posted isnt showing up, figured i make a new one. sorry
Njd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't the 06 GT only have 300hp? And the new V6 has 305, right? I'm sure the torque numbers are different, but if you want a V8 then get one. You're the only one who can decide which is better for you.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post
I have recently bought a 2012 v6 mustang premium and dont get me wrong, im very grateful for it and i understand im lucky to own a car like this. however, after my purchase i drove a friends 06 gt and i fell in love. The power behind the v8 is something else. would it be wise to trade mine for a v8?
I would not trade it for a older gt it would have to be a new one. Also, you just got the car if you are paying for it going be hard to get out of it that quick.
RIstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Didn't the 06 GT only have 300hp? And the new V6 has 305, right? I'm sure the torque numbers are different, but if you want a V8 then get one. You're the only one who can decide which is better for you.
I believe the 05-10 gt has 10 more torque than ours
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Keep it. Mod it a little.
Six7One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six7One View Post
Keep it. Mod it a little.
+1 invest in mods to make yours even better than his.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstang View Post
I would not trade it for a older gt it would have to be a new one. Also, you just got the car if you are paying for it going be hard to get out of it that quick.
+1

IMO it would not be a good trade. However if you're upgrading to a 5.0 then I would say do it. For me it would feel like a downgrade but that's just me... Lol
Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
First off, they have like 315(?) horsepower. The new V6 has 305. I would not trade my brand new car for a 7 year old car over 10ish horsepower.

Now, if you're talking about going new 5.0, I'd say go for it.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njd92 View Post
Don't trade it for something older. You would be majorly upside down on what it's worth.

And that's with any car. I say if you want a v8 get a used 5.0.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

full bolton 3.7 > full bolton 4.6. supercharged 3.7 > supercharged 4.6. this is from my experience. if it's a 5.0 go for it but a 4.6? c'mon man. not saying that are bad but the interior alone should be a game changer and the mpg to power ratio is better. if all you want is power get a used 2011 5.0. they are cheap now but you should have done more research before buying if that's the case. good luck.
13 stang22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Do what I did and get a used 5.0 I got mine for 27k out the door with 3 keys included even tho I kept my 3.7 I know thats not an option for everyone but if u want the power then trade up for a 5.0 and you will sh*t on your friends 4.6 even tho my 3.7 would dominate him :p
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Trade it for a 5.0

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Take your friend and his car to a drag strip

Run him and you how very surprised you will be at the end of the quarter mile.
Do not race on the street
Go to a Drag Strip All most all drag strips have a night where you just run what you brung and they love Friend against friend grudge racing.
Then let us know if you still want to trade for a 2006 GT.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
The gt has more torque but if you get 3:73 gears in your v6 that will make a complete difference you will haves different opinion about it
2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Your v6 is faster than the 4.) when it is properly set up. Unless the 4.6 has cams/heads it won't be able to beat a bolt on 3.7
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Exclamation No matter what, you gotta look at the financial side!

I wouldn't trade down in years, that's just throwing money away. If that's what you have in mind, send it to me first, LOL! At the very least trade for a used 2011 5.0 V8. But remember, your gasoline bill will go up and your insurance rate will go up. You may need to come up with some money for the transaction. If money's not an issue the go for what you know.

You also have to look at what you're gonna use the car for. 305hp with future mods that can bring that up another 35hp or so is more than I'll ever need cause I'm never gonna track it or race it. Only some spirited driving when the road is clear and safe. Might punch it now and then to get my ya-yas out, but that's about it. No putting down anything you want to do, but you need to get a plan together and weight the pros and cons. After it's all said and done, simply do what you can afford and what makes only YOU happy. Now, go do your home work and happy trails
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The gt didn't have a 2.73 rear end. Put 3.31s, 3.55s or 3.73s and you will be faster than it. Their stock 0-60 is similar to ours with the 3.31s so put anything lower (3.55 373) and you would defiantly be quicker stock for stock if the only thing you changed was the rear end.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
The gt didn't have a 2.73 rear end. Put 3.31s, 3.55s or 3.73s and you will be faster than it. Their stock 0-60 is similar to ours with the 3.31s so put anything lower (3.55 373) and you would defiantly be quicker stock for stock if the only thing you changed was the rear end.
Exactly. The very tall rear end coupled with less torque makes the v6 slower with the 2.73. With any other gear ratio it's faster stock for stock.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would wait until the 2015's come out.

I loved the new 2010 body style so much, i was going to buy a gt. I started hearing about the new motors and 6 speed transmissions that were going to be in the 2011's. The more i read about the new 3.7L v6 with 305 horsepower, the more i wanted it . So i placed my order for my 2011 v6 the day the order banks opened. The rest is history..................

The people who went from the 2005-2009 to 2011+ all i have read say, the build quality and everything else is so much better than in their old Mustangs.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
My 2012 v6 premium > my brother's 07 GT. Both have CAI. His has manual trans, mine is auto. Plus I get cheaper insurance and lower fuel bill. Why would you want to trade down?
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllTRADEMARKlll View Post
My 2012 v6 premium > my brother's 07 GT. Both have CAI. His has manual trans, mine is auto. Plus I get cheaper insurance and lower fuel bill. Why would you want to trade down?
Great point!
RIstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Also, as someone else has mentioned, the interior is far superior on ours as well. The interior in the s197 is terribly cheap.
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

go back I don't think so , the new Mustang is a better machine handles better, steering is better the MPG the 6 speed automatic all of the improvements make it a better machine the only thing you will never get is that sound of the older 5.0 or 4.6 that V6 will always sound like a 6 that's all I miss when one passes me I think back but a V6 that can put out over 300HP makes it well worth the loss of the sound if I was into speed I would go for a supercharger then you could dust lots of the other new models I did drive the new 5.0 & it was very fast so if I was you trade up for 2014 5.0, me I will stay with my V6 2013 ..............
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Jon

You sure are right about that sound. I put Magnaflow streets on my 3.7 V6 and although it does not sound nearly as nice as the 4.6 V8, It still sounds good.
Like you, I love my 2012 3.7 and just ain't gonna give it up for a long,long time if ever.
I like getting up at 3:30 or 4 am and going for a traffic free drive just to listen to the deep humm of my pipes along with the 50's/60's music on my Sirius radio.

What ever the OP decides to do would be his choice. I had a friend trade his 2012 Mustang in on a 2013 Camaro. He hated it after the novelty wore off. He then traded the Camaro for a 2014 Mustang. It cost him almost eight grand and he is so upside down in his Mustang he is stuck with it for six years. He told me he will never slide away from his Mustang. He just sold some of his prized possessions ( Guns) to purchase Magnaflow streets cat-backs for it. I sure hope the OP knows what he wants before he gets upside down in car payments.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ronnie , years back I had a Grand National while it was fast it didn't have a good sound , it looked sharp but was terrible on handling but it had some good value I drove it a few years & was offered money to sell it which I did making a nice profit every where I went someone would say " want to sell it " when the price was right I did & never looked back , the new Mustang is a nice handling fast machine even though its only a 6... I often think how it would be if it was supercharged ? Turbo's are troublesome & lots of pipes & extra heat but a small manifold supercharger while not cheap would the way to go for the guy who wanted the trade up idea ..... he would get by the insurance people & as far as being quick ..it would have to fast !
jon paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 v6