Help with exhaust tips! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Help with exhaust tips!

I'm seriously considering the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers but I'm having trouble finding tips for them! I don't want to mix brands (Flows + magnaflow, roush or off brand tips). I would be going with the 2.25" inlet/outlet. I thought the replacement tips for the force II's would work but it seems the outlet on the force II's are 2.50". Also I'm not sure what length the tips should be, I of course want them to be seen but stick out to far like the pypes axle backs!!! Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!
LavaRed12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Get some 3" tips, thats the outlet, find one that is a 2.25" inlet and a 3" outlet. They don't even have to have words on it, there are thousands to choose from. Just have to do a little searching online.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was wanting 4" outlet tips, makes it look better lol. But having the flowmaster stamp would be nice...guess ill hit up some parts stores and see what I can find. Thanks for the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Borla tips

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Pick tips wisely. I have the roush from my roush exhaust. They are $65 a piece, why not? They sound different than other tips due to them being single layer, slanted and rolled at the end. If you get a straight edge tip, it's like a redneck megaphone and will yield more sound and drone. If the metal was thicker on my roush tips, they would be perfect and less drone.

I warn you, the drone is VERY loud for the first few weeks. But mellows down some. And at 75 mph, it's very bad but at 80 and 65 it's nice. And whenever the car reaches 1.5-1.7k rpm, there is a null like tone; as in it gets very boomy sounding. Point is, shift before that or give the car more gas so it'll shift quicker. These are very deep and will shake your chest on startup. You will have exhaust smoke coming from your tips constantly too. That's just a flowmaster thing.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah...and ill just tell everyone its that "special" Borla exhaust that no one has but me lol. I think my ocd would bother me to much with other brands, so if I can't find a flowmaster then it will have to not have a stamp. I'm not trying to be a poser...like when people put GT emblems on a V6! . I'm proud of my v6 and I don't want to make it something its not.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My tips are 4" and are perfect. 3 is too small. 4.5 is too animated/ cartoony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1701379479.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	133662  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaRed12V6 View Post
Yeah...and ill just tell everyone its that "special" Borla exhaust that no one has but me lol. I think my ocd would bother me to much with other brands, so if I can't find a flowmaster then it will have to not have a stamp. I'm not trying to be a poser...like when people put GT emblems on a V6! . I'm proud of my v6 and I don't want to make it something its not.
Lol my car is a boss patriot replica and a v6. I named it a boss 227. Google "mustang boss 227" my car is all over the images section.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Pick tips wisely. I have the roush from my roush exhaust. They are $65 a piece, why not? They sound different than other tips due to them being single layer, slanted and rolled at the end. If you get a straight edge tip, it's like a redneck megaphone and will yield more sound and drone. If the metal was thicker on my roush tips, they would be perfect and less drone.

I warn you, the drone is VERY loud for the first few weeks. But mellows down some. And at 75 mph, it's very bad but at 80 and 65 it's nice. And whenever the car reaches 1.5-1.7k rpm, there is a null like tone; as in it gets very boomy sounding. Point is, shift before that or give the car more gas so it'll shift quicker. These are very deep and will shake your chest on startup. You will have exhaust smoke coming from your tips constantly too. That's just a flowmaster thing.
Well you already had Roush tips so I completely understand why you added them to your 40's!! It saved you money..nothing wrong with that!! Its just a personal preference for me to have it match the muffler brand. My car is is auto, so I'm sure they will sound different. I showed a guy your video today at a muffler shop I went to and it was the first time he heard 40's on a v6! He was pleasantly surprised! Lol
Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
4" tips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1886820951.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	133663   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-638153858.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	637.0 KB
ID:	133664  

Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Niceee!!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My tips are 4" and are perfect. 3 is too small. 4.5 is too animated/ cartoony.
Ya 3 is way to small and don't get me started on the exhaust tips that are like .5 inches big. 4 or 4.5s are where it's at. Me personally I like the 4.5s a lot.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well you already had Roush tips so I completely understand why you added them to your 40's!! It saved you money..nothing wrong with that!! Its just a personal preference for me to have it match the muffler brand. My car is is auto, so I'm sure they will sound different. I showed a guy your video today at a muffler shop I went to and it was the first time he heard 40's on a v6! He was pleasantly surprised! Lol
Mine is an automatic btw I make it shift faster via more gas lol
Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

@ whitelightning...any more videos in the works?!
Old 10-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot to add, any slanted tip will have more echo sound to it. A flat tip will sound more rounded overall but for our cars, the slant is where it's at. I like the rolled look, not sure how it affects sound, but it wouldn't be much as to the other factors of material, thickness, and angle. I've had rolled tips on both my stangs. Except my 70, it has turn downs.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I forgot to add, any slanted tip will have more echo sound to it. A flat tip will sound more rounded overall but for our cars, the slant is where it's at. I like the rolled look, not sure how it affects sound, but it wouldn't be much as to the other factors of material, thickness, and angle. I've had rolled tips on both my stangs. Except my 70, it has turn downs.
Thanks so much for the information! Its definitely appreciated...exhaust has to be the hardest decision we make for our stangs! Lol
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
4" for sure
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-987607497.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	472.8 KB
ID:	133940  
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I was wanting 4" outlet tips, makes it look better lol. But having the flowmaster stamp would be nice...guess ill hit up some parts stores and see what I can find. Thanks for the response!
4" tips minimum . Anything smaller looks too small because the cut outs for the tips on the bumper are fairly large (13). I have 4" tips, (Roush) but 4.5 would have looked better...... but the 4" still look good.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Quote:
+1 on the rolled tips, I didn't like the pypes for that very reason!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

4" tips minimum . Anything smaller looks too small because the cut outs for the tips on the bumper are fairly large (13). I have 4" tips, (Roush) but 4.5 would have looked better but the 4" still look good.
+1 go 4.5"

Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I'm seriously considering the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers but I'm having trouble finding tips for them! I don't want to mix brands (Flows + magnaflow, roush or off brand tips). I would be going with the 2.25" inlet/outlet. I thought the replacement tips for the force II's would work but it seems the outlet on the force II's are 2.50". Also I'm not sure what length the tips should be, I of course want them to be seen but stick out to far like the pypes axle backs!!! Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!
Go buy some 5' resonated tips. Trust me 5' fills in the rear valance really good bro ill try and get a pic to show you.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Go buy some 5' resonated tips. Trust me 5' fills in the rear valance really good bro ill try and get a pic to show you.
What is your exhaust set-up?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
He has had a few, I'm not sure of his current one but he knows his sh1t!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
He has had a few, I'm not sure of his current one but he knows his sh1t!
Hahaha thanks bro and yes ive been changing around my exhaust every few months to find the best setup.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Quote:

What is your exhaust set-up?
Right now on the 3.7 I have BBK Long Tubes, Catted Xpipe, Lethal Performance OTA piping, Resonators, Borla Touring Axle backs.

Ive had Pypes, Roush, Magnaflow, straight pipes.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang