I have a stupid question for about 3.7 MUFFLERS - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Is there anyone running resonators with just axle backs?? I would recommend resonators to anyone doing full exhaust (headers &/or mid pipe) when u my pype bombs alone I loved them they were loud but beautiful..when I added LTs they got obnoxiously loud & raspy so that's the reason I added resonators & now it sounds amazing. I could have just swapped out the mufflers but it wouldn't sound the same as my set up right now. Exhaust is very tricky & there's NO way swapping out mufflers is gonna sound the same as adding resonators..now what sounds better is gonna depend on who is listening to it but 100% it's not gonna sound the same!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Is there anyone running resonators with just axle backs?? I would recommend resonators to anyone doing full exhaust (headers &/or mid pipe) when u my pype bombs alone I loved them they were loud but beautiful..when I added LTs they got obnoxiously loud & raspy so that's the reason I added resonators & now it sounds amazing. I could have just swapped out the mufflers but it wouldn't sound the same as my set up right now. Exhaust is very tricky & there's NO way swapping out mufflers is gonna sound the same as adding resonators..now what sounds better is gonna depend on who is listening to it but 100% it's not gonna sound the same!
Good point(s). I've read in other threads from folks that have removed their resonators, then had them welded back in.
I guess it depends on the total exhaust package that's installed as to what works for the exhaust note, and what doesn't.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I got BBK shorties and magna flow. Its nice at cruising speed and loud when I stomp the pedal. I think its what a person can handle at that time. If I were just a few years younger I probably would have bought the loud ROUSH. But noise would have caused me to buy resonators later since I plan on keeping what I buy for a while. Different people like different sounds. Its just mine is better, lol, JK, calm down everyone, take a deep breath, that was close.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #39
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I scored a set of Bassani's used from a local guy at a price I was willing to pay. Yes there is a slight bit of drone (slight) but I'm happy and the price was right. <$300 they give what I call European sound with a bit of burble I've received three compliments on them in the past two weeks. But even more importantly I like them...No they don't make it faster it just sounds it.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well for my Ears, Mine is Better, and I a not taking that back Adam.
And for the guy asking about the Borla Touring, it is a real mellow sound. I have Short tube Headers and the FRPP X-Pipe and for me the sound is perfect, but I like the friendly wave over the ugly Scowl when I go by at 6 AM in the morning.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Well for my Ears, Mine is Better, and I a not taking that back Adam.
And for the guy asking about the Borla Touring, it is a real mellow sound. I have Short tube Headers and the FRPP X-Pipe and for me the sound is perfect, but I like the friendly wave over the ugly Scowl when I go by at 6 AM in the morning.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I have the streets and love them. I added lth's and it gets raspy from 3-5k rpms but it is BA at wot, but yet if you have any incline in your road you'll get drone at 70+. I say beware when doing lth's with any exhaust. I like the roushes on a roush. Haven't heard them on a 3.7. I agree to get what you like. It is your car.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

With my setup the "rasp zone" is from 2500-3500 rpm. Everywhere before or after that it has a very aggressive sound. Exhaust is about personal preference.

I thought the streets were way to quiet for me. I though the roush were perfect on the loud scale but kinda "wailed" instead of screamed. I liked them by themselves a lot though... And would have kept them if I was not offered the trade for the Borla S Types I currently have. The tone though on the Borlas is amazing. You can really tell the step up in quality in cabin noise and refinement.

The magnaflows had a similar tone to the Borlas but were much quieter. I'm guessing the Borla Touring and Magnaflow streets would sound very similar.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
With my setup the "rasp zone" is from 2500-3500 rpm. Everywhere before or after that it has a very aggressive sound. Exhaust is about personal preference. I thought the streets were way to quiet for me. I though the roush were perfect on the loud scale but kinda "wailed" instead of screamed. I liked them by themselves a lot though... And would have kept them if I was not offered the trade for the Borla S Types I currently have. The tone though on the Borlas is amazing. You can really tell the step up in quality in cabin noise and refinement. The magnaflows had a similar tone to the Borlas but were much quieter. I'm guessing the Borla Touring and Magnaflow streets would sound very similar.
Both are straight through mufflers with packing. Along with the roush and many mufflers for our v6.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Listen to my video comparing roush vs borla touring axel back with the BBK catted x pipe and shorty headers .. Roush is very loud.. They sounded sick but it sets off car alarms and sound like a banshee. Borla Touring is deep.. Quiet at idle but sounds very nice. Volume is just right

http://youtu.be/MMJFm2Z0RM8
MustangDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Both are straight through mufflers with packing. Along with the roush and many mufflers for our v6.
Roush are considered chambered. They are basically a straight pipe encased in that roush muffler chamber to amplify the good sounds and try and take some of the bad tones away. I've heard many exhausts on these 3.7's and owned 4 myself.

I don't have any bias when it comes to the exhaust because I only bought one of them and have traded it for all the others; I didn't spend my money on them so I don't try to convince myself that I made a good choice.

I tell it like it is. I've owned Borla S Type, Magnaflow Streets, Roush, and Straight Pipes with resonated tips put in. I've heard the flow master 40 series, pypes bombs, and the force 2 axlebacks in person as well.

The Borlas have the best tone, quality, tips, cabin noise, and overall are at a level of refinement the other mufflers can't touch. Even with my full exhaust there is no drone in the car or any vibrations in the cabin at all. I had both these things with the roush, straight pipes, and magnaflow streets (although to a much less degree with the streets but they were extremely quiet to the point I could go WOT next to someone and they wouldn't even turn their head.)

What it comes down to is that Borla specifically made the 3 sets of mufflers they offer for the 3.7, just like ford specifically made the stock muffler to tune out drone and cabin vibrations. While other companies just made universal mufflers that have bolt on capabilities. That is why Borla costs more.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

When did this turn from a resonator question!thread to an exhaust thread!? Lmao.

Well f*ck it..PYPE BOMBS FTW!!!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
When did this turn from a resonator question!thread to an exhaust thread!? Lmao.

Well f*ck it..PYPE BOMBS FTW!!!!!
When it comes to the exhaust, it's all valuable info
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Roush are considered chambered. They are basically a straight pipe encased in that roush muffler chamber to amplify the good sounds and try and take some of the bad tones away. I've heard many exhausts on these 3.7's and owned 4 myself. I don't have any bias when it comes to the exhaust because I only bought one of them and have traded it for all the others; I didn't spend my money on them so I don't try to convince myself that I made a good choice. I tell it like it is. I've owned Borla S Type, Magnaflow Streets, Roush, and Straight Pipes with resonated tips put in. I've heard the flow master 40 series, pypes bombs, and the force 2 axlebacks in person as well. The Borlas have the best tone, quality, tips, cabin noise, and overall are at a level of refinement the other mufflers can't touch. Even with my full exhaust there is no drone in the car or any vibrations in the cabin at all. I had both these things with the roush, straight pipes, and magnaflow streets (although to a much less degree with the streets but they were extremely quiet to the point I could go WOT next to someone and they wouldn't even turn their head.) What it comes down to is that Borla specifically made the 3 sets of mufflers they offer for the 3.7, just like ford specifically made the stock muffler to tune out drone and cabin vibrations. While other companies just made universal mufflers that have bolt on capabilities. That is why Borla costs more.
Literally stops and it just bounces around. Eww.

That H pipe has to produce drone. I've heard them with chambered mufflers and straight through, it just has to. I'm glad I didn't get the streets. I'm now a chambered fan boy over the straight through designs like many.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3125378330.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	134731  
Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #50
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Roush are considered chambered. They are basically a straight pipe encased in that roush muffler chamber to amplify the good sounds and try and take some of the bad tones away. I've heard many exhausts on these 3.7's and owned 4 myself. I don't have any bias when it comes to the exhaust because I only bought one of them and have traded it for all the others; I didn't spend my money on them so I don't try to convince myself that I made a good choice. I tell it like it is. I've owned Borla S Type, Magnaflow Streets, Roush, and Straight Pipes with resonated tips put in. I've heard the flow master 40 series, pypes bombs, and the force 2 axlebacks in person as well. The Borlas have the best tone, quality, tips, cabin noise, and overall are at a level of refinement the other mufflers can't touch. Even with my full exhaust there is no drone in the car or any vibrations in the cabin at all. I had both these things with the roush, straight pipes, and magnaflow streets (although to a much less degree with the streets but they were extremely quiet to the point I could go WOT next to someone and they wouldn't even turn their head.) What it comes down to is that Borla specifically made the 3 sets of mufflers they offer for the 3.7, just like ford specifically made the stock muffler to tune out drone and cabin vibrations. While other companies just made universal mufflers that have bolt on capabilities. That is why Borla costs more.
My flowmasters drone like crazy and they rattle so much **** inside the cabin.... But they sound amazing and that's all I care about lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Literally stops and it just bounces around. Eww. That H pipe has to produce drone. I've heard them with chambered mufflers and straight through, it just has to. I'm glad I didn't get the streets. I'm now a chambered fan boy over the straight through designs like many.
Haha I can get you a video of me cruising if you don't believe me. At 40 mph you cannot hear the car cruising without an incline of course.

At 65 mph or 1800 rpm it has the slightest engine note. Drone to me is when **** rattles in the car and makes an annoying sound. A slight engine note that can be drowned out by 1 bar on the radio or by talking is not drone to me. Don't get me wrong the car makes a noise just less than all the other exhausts I've had
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Why you ask?

Because reality is that a quality car and quality car parts cost $$$. Most people don't realize that and try to take the cheap route out, not knowing that maybe just a little more $ would be a much better investment. Just my $0.02.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
My flowmasters drone like crazy and they rattle so much **** inside the cabin.... But they sound amazing and that's all I care about lol.
+1. My interior doesn't rattle anymore like the roush made it. They drone but that's why you bought an exhaust right? I've had drone on my last mustang and it was and uncatted X pipe. Loved it though cause I was 15. I'm 20 and I still like it loud, just less rasp.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Haha I can get you a video of me cruising if you don't believe me. At 40 mph you cannot hear the car cruising without an incline of course. At 65 mph or 1800 rpm it has the slightest engine note. Drone to me is when **** rattles in the car and makes an annoying sound. A slight engine note that can be drowned out by 1 bar on the radio or by talking is not drone to me. Don't get me wrong the car makes a noise just less than all the other exhausts I've had
Then that's an exhaust note. My flowmaster do that. At 65 they give that slight burble and tone and at 80 they give off drone. But I don't drive 80 that much anyway. And if I do it's 85 to keep up with traffic. I don't listen to my radio, my exhaust is music with it's burble and smooth pops. Just that iconic sound just mini. At 40 you can't hear my exhaust at all. Sooo quiet.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #54
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Why you ask?

Because reality is that a quality car and quality car parts cost $$$. Most people don't realize that and try to take the cheap route out, not knowing that maybe just a little more $ would be a much better investment. Just my $0.02.
Actually, those that take the cheap way out, don't. They buy a cheap part, only to have to buy a quality part to replace it later. That's two parts for the one application. That's more spent the way I see it then if they just spent for the quality part in the first place.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Actually, those that take the cheap way out, don't. They buy a cheap part, only to have to buy a quality part to replace it later. That's two parts for the one application. That's more spent the way I see it then if they just spent for the quality part in the first place.
Good point, I agree with that as well.
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1. My interior doesn't rattle anymore like the roush made it. They drone but that's why you bought an exhaust right? I've had drone on my last mustang and it was and uncatted X pipe. Loved it though cause I was 15. I'm 20 and I still like it loud, just less rasp. ---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ---------- Then that's an exhaust note. My flowmaster do that. At 65 they give that slight burble and tone and at 80 they give off drone. But I don't drive 80 that much anyway. And if I do it's 85 to keep up with traffic. I don't listen to my radio, my exhaust is music with it's burble and smooth pops. Just that iconic sound just mini. At 40 you can't hear my exhaust at all. Sooo quiet.
Lol you thought that with a full exhaust with no resonators and cats it would be as silent as a Prius? Obviously there is an engine note.

Before I added my catless h pipe It was silent pretty much cruising at 1800 rpm on a straight road.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This is my point as well.
As for me I listened to YouTube, heard some in person and still waited to get the headers on before I went out and got the A/B's. I loved the way the Magnaflows sounded on my friends but after the long tubes and the catted X is was to loud for me for a Daily Driver. I was leaning toward the Borla S type or FRPP Sports before the headers, but after hearing the deeper note after the header install I went touring.
Love the way they sound and Amazon has them for just a bit more than the Roush and you don't need to add resonators to drive 100 miles a day and still hear the rest of the day.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol you thought that with a full exhaust with no resonators and cats it would be as silent as a Prius? Obviously there is an engine note. Before I added my catless h pipe It was silent pretty much cruising at 1800 rpm on a straight road.
I forgot you have shorties lol headers are headers. It's what after them that counts!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I put pype bombs on my 2014 V6 mustang and let me just say they are extremely loud but I get nothing but compliments and the occasional is that a 5.0 lol which is why I recently put on my 3.7 badge on the side.. The idle is pretty loud on the highway when your around 70.. But at city cruising speeds man I fell in love with it.. I don't recommend this for all but to me my engines loudness is music to my ears.. The pype bombs are muffler delete system so obnoxious loud is just about right lol but I love them and only paid 275 for them and 40 for installation all on top of my CAI, shorty headers, and throttle body (all is BBk)
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I was re-reading some Exhaust posts and it seems some V6 owners will buy very loud obnoxious Mufflers for their cars and hate the drone and noise enough that they add resonators to get them almost tolerable but still sound terrible.

We all know that resonators will quiet down the exhaust note at the extra cost for them as well as adding the small amount of weight and cutting your pipes to get them on. (More Clamps)

My question is: Why not just get :
Ford Racing Touring
Magnaflow streets
Borla Touring

Which none of these need any add on's to make them sound really good without adding the resonators.

It's just a question for the 3.7 V6 owners and I really am curious.

Ronnie
Pype bomb are the best I love them they sound amazing!
RIstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #61
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What i'm asking is this::::::

Did you have to go out and buy resonators to make you love them?

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I didn't buy any resonators I know people have been recommending them but I love the deep sound of my stang even tho I do think I would benefit from resonators because when I hit 75 on the highway it's a continuous drone.. I actually recently have been having issues with my exhaust though... It makes a noise like the exhaust is loose but I've had it checked three times and can't figure out what it could be.. My mustang is a 2014 so it's not a lose part on my car.. I've actually glued styrofoam to the license plate but that dosnt seem to be the culprit behind the noise.. The pype bombs were also welded so.. I'm kinda clueless to what the noise can be
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you have to go out and buy resonators to make you love them? Ronnie
I recommend resonators mainly to people that have full exhaust (headers/x pipe) because full exhaust with mostly any axlebacks sound extremely loud & obnoxious! I think I remember someone on here put resonators with just roush axlebacks & he took them back off because it was too quiet!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I recommend resonators mainly to people that have full exhaust (headers/x pipe) because full exhaust with mostly any axlebacks sound extremely loud & obnoxious! I think I remember someone on here put resonators with just roush axlebacks & he took them back off because it was too quiet!

lol that fast ford and me. His because quiet, and mine because it also gave no tone and made it sound like a fart can. Then again, they kinda look like it. They belong on a GT, not a v6. I have flowmaster and I absolutely love them.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #65
JDR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I had the Bassani axle backs but the drone was too much. At 1700-2000 RMP, which seems to be cruising range for my V6 auto, it was horrible. They had an excellent tone and were very well made but I had to let em go.
My buddy gave me his stock mufflers from his V6 manual. I had no idea they were different than the automatic mufflers. There is definitely a different sound to them, slightly louder. After Christmas I'll be on the hunt for a proven drone free axle back. I'm looking at the Borla S-Type right now.
JDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #66
ME Bloodhound
Staff

What's drone? I just hear beautiful exhaust.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Just wanted to say that you can buy new borla s types on ebay for $589 way cheaper than American Muscle. That is definitely worth it IMO.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #68
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Does that include """FREE""" shipping ?

I'll stick to AM myself. If AM sends them and there is something wrong they stand behind them. E-Bay -Maybe? I don't really know.

Of course, Even After the AM discount they are about $75.00 cheaper on E-Bay. I'm sure AM can match that.
Ronnie
Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll stick to AM myself. If AM sends them and there is something wrong they stand behind them. E-Bay -Maybe? I don't really know. Of course, Even After the AM discount they are about $75.00 cheaper on E-Bay. I'm sure AM can match that. Ronnie
it would be about $120 cheaper what discount would drop it to 75?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #70
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

AM discount code if you have 50 posts

PM Dan or Shane for the code. American Muscle offers Forum members a discount.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang